Former Sennheiser engineer Axel Grell made a $200 pair of ANC true wireless earbuds - the TWS/1
Dec 2, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #122 of 494
The integration with soundID sounds like a great feature
Sennheiser used to have an app called CapTune, which did the guided EQ Personalization, and it was really cool. But, it didn’t upload into the Bluetooth headphone to be used universally like the TWS/1 can, and CapTune was removed from the App Store anyway. Will be great to have IN the headset, I might even use the TWS1 when watching stuff on my AppleTV or at my work computer.

I may just HAVE to take work with me to a Café, because that’s basically the ideal environment for True Wireless 😉

Dec 2, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #123 of 494
Yes, this is what I'm thinking about all this time. Thank you.

If your compensated graph is close with correct representation, and I'm interpreting correctly your results, then this IEM is looking like having (very) good sound. And if is true that ANC is very good (like Apple APP) and the results are close to correct, ANC on or off isn't making noticeable difference in sound.
ANC might actually make a very positive difference in sound, if you happen to be in a noisy environment that would normally affect the frequency response of a headphone. ANC has the potential to make anywhere sound like a quiet room…and ANC + NAR is a specialty feature of the grell TWS/1 😉

Here I was about to ask you lot whether you had any questions for Axel, since I have a Q&A session tomorrow with him, but he's already here answering in person!
How did the Q&A session go? I’d love to see it if you wouldn’t mind sharing a link here :)

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #127 of 494
Any idea if shipping to Asia (e.g. Singapore) is in the cards at all?

Dec 8, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #129 of 494
Any idea if shipping to Asia (e.g. Singapore) is in the cards at all?
Asia and Singapore are important markets! Right now production has limited shipping to just two locations, but as production ramps up Singapore is indeed in the cards :)

How many headphones are expected in the 1st batch?

My order is 400+.
Can it be sent out in the first batch or do I need to wait for the next one?
First production batches are (almost) always significantly smaller than each batch to follow. Best way to know for sure is when you get your “now shipping” email. If the solidarity helps, I haven’t received my email yet either, but I’m looking forward to it and playing around with SoundID in the meantime!

I want to hear Grell’s default tuning, but it’s nice to have something to do in the meantime, and while using my phone as a source I can also play with SoundID and other headphones. The TWS/1 won’t have the same source limitation because the personalized EQ can be stored in the earpiece, then used with anything Bluetooth.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #133 of 494
I lost my well worn Sony 1000XM3 recently and decided to pick these up. I use my iPhone or Sony ZX507 while out and about, anyone have thoughts on which one is likely to be a better pair? ZX507 has aptx, aptx hd, and LDAC. Of those I think the Grell only supports APTX, correct? No APTX HD?

I’ve never used Android with TWS so have no idea what to expect of regular APTX.

@xlcans I bought these after listening to your podcast/interview with John Darko. That was a very enjoyable listen! I’m particularly interested by the NAR technology—I always wondered why over long periods ANC could go from what seemed like an improvement to irritation, and your explanation makes perfect sense.

Sorry if that was my baby crying…. LOL. (She’s 13 now but definitely cried through ANC on a round the world flight!)

Dec 10, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #134 of 494
I lost my well worn Sony 1000XM3 recently and decided to pick these up. I use my iPhone or Sony ZX507 while out and about, anyone have thoughts on which one is likely to be a better pair? ZX507 has aptx, aptx hd, and LDAC. Of those I think the Grell only supports APTX, correct? No APTX HD?

I’ve never used Android with TWS so have no idea what to expect of regular APTX.

@xlcans I bought these after listening to your podcast/interview with John Darko. That was a very enjoyable listen! I’m particularly interested by the NAR technology—I always wondered why over long periods ANC could go from what seemed like an improvement to irritation, and your explanation makes perfect sense.

Sorry if that was my baby crying…. LOL. (She’s 13 now but definitely cried through ANC on a round the world flight!)
The TWS/1 support aptX adaptive which is the new codec from Qualcomm and it is HD.
NAR is pretty good.
Have you read my review?

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/grell-audio-tws-1.25593/review/27464/

Dec 10, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #135 of 494

You are right, aptx, aptx adaptive, LDHC, AAC and SBC are supported but not aptx HD.

(Despite Qualcomm's initial claims, it turns out aptx adaptive is only 'backwards compatible' with aptx HD in headphones, not TWS.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back