Former Sennheiser engineer Axel Grell made a $200 pair of ANC true wireless earbuds - the TWS/1
Oct 10, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #16 of 494
I'm actually quite interested about these earbuds. They tic almost every demand I have for a pair of tws!

Will there be an app available as well? I'm especially after touch control customization :)

Interesting design choice with the stems, hopefully that will mean much better voice quality than your average tws.
The stem does offer better voice clarity, that combined with Qualcomm cVc and Axel's own patent pending tech lead to really good voice clarity.

Initially there will be firmware updates and app access through SoundID. We don't offer touch control customization now but it is something we will be looking into further.

Oct 10, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #18 of 494
The stem does offer better voice clarity, that combined with Qualcomm cVc and Axel's own patent pending tech lead to really good voice clarity.

Initially there will be firmware updates and app access through SoundID. We don't offer touch control customization now but it is something we will be looking into further.

Maybe I missed it on the website, but can you tell us how the controls will work?

And how do you feel the touch response work personally?

Personally I think these are 2 areas that many OEM's fail to deliver when it comes to TWS :frowning2:

Oct 10, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #19 of 494
Oh damn... Tried to Pre-Order, but turns out you only ship to a handful of countries -.-... Oh well.

How come you don't ship to the rest of EU if you ship to Germany?

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #20 of 494
The TWS space is really getting interesting! So what exactly is NAR technology? :nerd:

Oct 10, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #21 of 494
No LDAC, we decided to partner with Savitech/LHDC instead.
Hope to see the ability for a higher bitrate in the future. Maybe AptX Lossless?

Any word on the kind of DAC used in the earbuds? I feel like this is always a point missed with Bluetooth headphones, an important one.

Oct 10, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #22 of 494
Oh damn... Tried to Pre-Order, but turns out you only ship to a handful of countries -.-... Oh well.

How come you don't ship to the rest of EU if you ship to Germany?
Where in the EU are you based? We started out with Germany since that is Axel's home country. But are working on opening up further countries this week. Can let you know as soon as further countries are open.

Oct 10, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #23 of 494
Hope to see the ability for a higher bitrate in the future. Maybe AptX Lossless?

Any word on the kind of DAC used in the earbuds? I feel like this is always a point missed with Bluetooth headphones, an important one.
Higher bitrate is definitely something we are working on, we are working direct with AptX on a lot of stuff. Axel has a great relationship with them. I will check with Axel on the DAC so he can provide the correct info on that.

Oct 10, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #24 of 494
Maybe I missed it on the website, but can you tell us how the controls will work?

And how do you feel the touch response work personally?

Personally I think these are 2 areas that many OEM's fail to deliver when it comes to TWS :frowning2:
Attached screen shot shows the controls.

I am of course biased, but I feel the touch response is very good. The circular pad makes it easy to understand where you should touch and the gorilla glass allows for good response.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-10 at 20.47.09.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-10 at 20.47.09.png
    206 KB · Views: 0
Oct 10, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #25 of 494
The TWS space is really getting interesting! So what exactly is NAR technology? :nerd:
Good question! Axel and his wife, Katrin (a graphic designer), are working on good images to explain this in a simple way. We will put those up on our site hopefully this week. But below is an explanation of it.

Noise Annoyance Reduction (NAR) is a psycho-acoustical system: a step forward in sound reduction that combines the best of active and passive noise-canceling. Where other earphones only use active systems—which cover up to 800 hertz—the TWS/1 also features passive insulation to reduce mid-high and high-frequencies. This passive design pairs with an advanced active algorithm that analyzes incoming frequencies to cancel noise without degrading sound quality.

Oct 10, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #26 of 494
The TWS/1 tech spec is showing Hi-Res LHDC codec. Are FiiO, HIFIMan and Shanling the only DAPs with LHDC support?
I hate to quote my own post, but my concern is that I don't want to buy another DAP for LHDC.

No LDAC support?
No LDAC, we decided to partner with Savitech/LHDC instead.
For Android based DAP that does have LDAC, but not LHDC built in support, it appears you can install FiiO Music app which has LHDC codec built in for connection to LHDC capable ear / headphones. Of course I cannot verify this because I don't have LHDC capable earphones yet... I did pre-order the TWS/1 :sunglasses:, so I hope the Fiio Music app is the solution. Maybe Grell Audio can confirm this question?

Oct 10, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #27 of 494
Where in the EU are you based? We started out with Germany since that is Axel's home country. But are working on opening up further countries this week. Can let you know as soon as further countries are open.

I'm located in Sweden, hopefully you'll open up to more EU countries soon.

Attached screen shot shows the controls.

I am of course biased, but I feel the touch response is very good. The circular pad makes it easy to understand where you should touch and the gorilla glass allows for good response.

Looks great, I love the fact that the transperancy mode is quick to access.

Does the music pause/lower volume when you enable transperancy mode?

Oct 10, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #28 of 494
I hate to quote my own post, but my concern is that I don't want to buy another DAP for LHDC.

For Android based DAP that does have LDAC, but not LHDC built in support, it appears you can install FiiO Music app which has LHDC codec built in for connection to LHDC capable ear / headphones. Of course I cannot verify this because I don't have LHDC capable earphones yet... I did pre-order the TWS/1 :sunglasses:, so I hope the Fiio Music app is the solution. Maybe Grell Audio can confirm this question?
I will check with Axel and see if he has info on it.

Oct 10, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #29 of 494
I'm located in Sweden, hopefully you'll open up to more EU countries soon.

Looks great, I love the fact that the transperancy mode is quick to access.

Does the music pause/lower volume when you enable transperancy mode?
Will let you know as soon as Sweden is opened up, should be soon.

The music does not pause/lower volume when you enable transparency mode. But we might add an option to our app that allows users to turn on a setting that would pause music if transparency is turned out, we are looking into that at the moment.

Oct 10, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #30 of 494
Good question! Axel and his wife, Katrin (a graphic designer), are working on good images to explain this in a simple way. We will put those up on our site hopefully this week. But below is an explanation of it.

Noise Annoyance Reduction (NAR) is a psycho-acoustical system: a step forward in sound reduction that combines the best of active and passive noise-canceling. Where other earphones only use active systems—which cover up to 800 hertz—the TWS/1 also features passive insulation to reduce mid-high and high-frequencies. This passive design pairs with an advanced active algorithm that analyzes incoming frequencies to cancel noise without degrading sound quality.
Thanks for the response. I look forward to seeing said images. I dig those pull-apart 3D schematics of drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back