For those which have heard both is there a clear winner? HE-6 / LCD 2
May 27, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #151 of 185
Tyll sums up the differences between the HE's pretty well here:

May 28, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #153 of 185
That was a nice quick overview video. Thanks for posting it.

May 28, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #156 of 185
very informative indeed. prolly should consider finding a new home for my pair of HE5-LE (not so fast, but we will see). did some AB comparison with my HD650 (the hifiman driven by Lyr, the senn driven by PPX3-6cg7), and came away agreeing to the 'problems' mentioned in the video recap (zippy highs, relative lack of body to the sound) and also coherence of the sound as the whole. I did notice HE5-LE was considerably clearer sounding, one of the main weaknesses of HD650 as I see it. Maybe I need to man up and try the Audeze instead.

I actually like the HE5-LE quite a bit though, waaaay better than the K701, and actually better than the HD650 depending on what I am listening to; could be just that the hifiman needs some more time and listening to grow on me. That being said, the more I read about the Audeze the more intrigued I get :D

Jul 8, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #157 of 185
Thought I'd bump this question now that some of the newness has worn off and people have had the chance to listen to both more.

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #158 of 185
It's really a hard comparison to make on a level playing field because of the different amplification requirements.

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #159 of 185
LOOKS:  I kind of like the steam punk look as art so for me the aesthetics go to the 2.  That does not mean I don't like the look of the 6 though.

BUILD:  The 6 seems more sturdy but I think the 2 is better designed and more precisely built.

SOUND:  I love both, it comes down to use.

USE:  The 2 can sound good with almost anything I have and can be very loud even out of portable devices.  The 6 can sound good out of some small devices but amazing out of a cheap receiver or decent power amp.

VERDICT:  I use both almost every day.  Got rid of what ever I could to attain the 2 and 6 and it is a worthy investment. 

Jul 9, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #160 of 185
Agreed on looks, I think the 2 may be better built but it's close, agreed they both sound fantastic, I think I'm more picky about amps, theses are two of my favorites but I still listen to others.

I don't think we helped Happy Camper a bit but this thread is bumping along at a good clip now...

Jul 9, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #161 of 185
I just purchased an LCD-2 from another Head-Fier, a seven week old v1, he wants the v2. A friend in the Charlotte area has an HE-6 which he preferred over the 2. I think he'd loan me his for a week or so for a side-by-side. My amp is a Woo 22 but I would test them both with TRS termination not balanced. With that said, I've never reported any critical listening sessions so any experienced listener/tester who would care to share review experience, with I'd be in debt too. I think a good CD to use may be this.

Jul 9, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #162 of 185
Having had a brief loan of the original LCD-2, for my tastes (in my system), I clearly preferred the HE-6.

That is not to say there was not much to like with the LCD-2, and now with all the talk of the "Rev 2" I feel that it might be time for a revisit if not an outright purchase.

I was also leaning towards the ALO cable for the LCD-2, I had only heard it with the stock version but it seems they have now changed that as well. :rolleyes:

Jul 9, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #163 of 185
Well if sound is the only factor and you can have almost any amp you want, the 6 is the clear winner for me.  That being said, I still think that both of these orthos are much more amp friendly than any dynamic that I have heard.  Though they may not sound their best, they stay closer to good sounding on any amp while most dynamics are un-listenable if not paired or synced correctly.  That is the reason I spend all my headphone time on these two cans only.  As for he cables, I stopped playing around with cables for both headphones.  Yes there are sonic differences but any stock cable and any aftermarket cables that I've tried still puts a smile on my face when the music plays so that is all that matters to me now.

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #164 of 185
I'll look forward to hearing the new 2s. If they are more balanced especially. It's not that the highs weren't there but the bass demands your attention more. There was also some reverb on some music that needed addressed.

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #165 of 185
I'll look forward to hearing the new 2s. If they are more balanced especially. It's not that the highs weren't there but the bass demands your attention more. There was also some reverb on some music that needed addressed.

Reverb with version 1? that sounds like something else in your audio chain I don't hear reverb at all. My tubes on my Lyr supply the most imaging and soundstage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back