For those which have heard both is there a clear winner? HE-6 / LCD 2
Aug 29, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 185
Asking for someone's individual preferences isn't going to tell anyone much since everyone hears differently. For whatever it's worth (which is barely anything) I've had the opportunity to hear both on equipment that I own (using a B22 as the amp) and vastly preferred the LCD-2. I was thinking about maybe buying the HE-6 but will definitely not be doing that now (based on both its sound and fit issues, but moreso the sound).

Aug 29, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #3 of 185
Check out the Head Direct forum for the HE-6 Loaner program thread. Impressions start from HeadphoneAddict on post #150.

Aug 30, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 185
There is no which is at this level. Its more about what sound best to you in your system. All the top tier cans are reference quality. I have heard them all and it really depends on you no one else as that is what this hobby is about.

Aug 30, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 185
I looked closely at both. I listen to a lot of both small and large scale classical music (I assume you do too, Mahler?) and what it came down to for me was reports that the HE5-6s were a bit congested (more so than the LCD2 in my research). And that is an untendable situation for symphonic crescendos! I weighed it against a Luxman p1u/HD800 system or something but was attracted to ortho's natural timbers and tones at an easier on the wallet price point. I'm on the LCD2 wait list so I might be biased. Just wanted add a classical music listener perspective for you. As always: Normal head-fi conditions and caveats apply.

Aug 31, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #7 of 185

Quote:
LCD2, no doubts.

Your name seems to be missing on the HE-6 Euro Loaner program list. When did you get to listen to these unreleased headphones?

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/505393/he-6-loaner-program-eu-version

Aug 31, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #8 of 185

Cheez man, what a blunder, of course I didnt, it was HE-5LE model that I tried, but also HE-5 was in haus. So sorry, they just look the same and I thought these were the same headphones
eek.gif

Anyway, we have had a mini meet and KEES brought all of them and LCD2 were just better in all ways, at least to me. HE5LE were the worse in the line, didnt like them at all, not by their look, but most important by their sound sig. HE5 were modified and sounded pretty good, but KEES is the master of mods. Dont know what they did with HE6 to make it better, but you are right anyway.

Sorry folks...

Quote:
Your name seems to be missing on the HE-6 Euro Loaner program list. When did you get to listen to these unreleased headphones?

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/505393/he-6-loaner-program-eu-version

Aug 31, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #9 of 185
No worries. Normally I'm not that big of a policeman here, but I knew the only meets these headphones had been to were in the US since the EU program just got started with only a couple people having heard them. I thought perhaps you were stateside and heard them somewhere.

I agree with your impressions of the HE-5 and LE. I'm on the loaner list for the HE-6 in a month or two so we'll see how it fares then. I need to hear a LCD-2 at some point. They are super popular here and I'd like to know why, but I'm careful to avoid FOTM gear.
wink_face.gif

Aug 31, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #10 of 185
I am not, and they already closed the loaner list, but in few weeks we will know more, I guess...

Quote:
No worries. Normally I'm not that big of a policeman here, but I knew the only meets these headphones had been to were in the US since the EU program just got started with only a couple people having heard them. I thought perhaps you were stateside and heard them somewhere.

I agree with your impressions of the HE-5 and LE. I'm on the loaner list for the HE-6 in a month or two so we'll see how it fares then. I need to hear a LCD-2 at some point. They are super popular here and I'd like to know why, but I'm careful to avoid FOTM gear.
wink_face.gif

Oct 27, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #11 of 185
I spent some quality time with the LCD-2 and an EF5 amplifier and also heard the prototype HE-6 out of a $2k WA22 and a $300 pro audio speaker amp for a few days. I preferred the HE-6 from the speaker amp; it was dynamic, balanced, extended, and smooth. To my ears it combined the best of the HD800 and the LCD-2, with none of their weaknesses. I would have liked to have heard the LCD-2 with a better amp, so in that respect it wasn't a fair comparison but the production HE-6 is supposed to sound even better than the prototype (and be easier to drive).

Dec 23, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #12 of 185
I think David already told us about these two great headphones.

Dec 23, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #14 of 185
when i listen to both headphones back-to-back, i tend to prefer the HE-6, because it has a more balanced overall presentation.
it can make the LCD-2 sound somewhat dark, or muted in the upper regions.

but, if you listen to only the LCD-2 on a given day (allowing your brain to reset), it sounds perfectly balanced.  and, because it is more polite in the treble region, is a bit more forgiving of source than the HE-6.

really, there really is no clear winner here.  they are both absolutely outstanding.

the HE-6 has the best treble i've ever heard.
and the LCD-2 has bass to die for.

the mids are a real battle.  world-class mids in both headphones.  just a matter of taste.  if you want the warmer, more chocolaty mids of the LCD-2, or the lighter and cleaner mids of the HE-6.

the only other difference i've noted (time and again) is the difference in damping and decay.
the LCD-2 sounds like it has more decay, and there is occasionally more resonance to some of the sounds.  because of this, it sounds warmer, and more layered.  or, what i mean by that is that the headphone draws your attention more to simultaneous sounds, or the decay and sustain of one sound happening behind another. 
this is something that isn't as pronounced with the HE-6.  it sounds tighter, and cleaner.  and slightly brighter.

so, it's really a matter of taste...
and, of course, whether you have the amp to handle the he-6 or not....

Dec 23, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #15 of 185
I listened to both, briefly, on HeadphoneAddict's ZDT.

Impression from Augest (the HE6 was a leather-covered prototype)

[size=medium]*HE6 vs. LCD2 (both on ZDT): [/size]
[size=medium]-- LCD2 is brighter and more upfront. much narrower stage. I still felt a “tendency” of voice abrasiveness, though nowhere near that “grainy” impression I got when I was in Seattle. [/size]
[size=medium]-- HE6 has a more relaxed sound and is fuller, more realistic. [/size]
[size=medium]-- Still couldn’t handle the LCD2’s clamping pressure; The HE6 on the other hand is very comfy, did not feel too heavy either.[/size]
[size=medium]-- I don't like the HE6's leather skin at all. Meanwhile the LCD2 looks great.  [/size]
[size=medium]-- over all, HE6 gets my vote, especially for long sessions. YMMV. [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back