For those which have heard both is there a clear winner? HE-6 / LCD 2
Jul 9, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #167 of 185
That Pioneer M22 looks sweet, I would love to hear it sometime.

Jul 10, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #170 of 185

Quote:
I listened to both, briefly, on HeadphoneAddict's ZDT.

Impression from Augest (the HE6 was a leather-covered prototype)

[size=medium]*HE6 vs. LCD2 (both on ZDT): [/size]
[size=medium]-- LCD2 is brighter and more upfront. much narrower stage. I still felt a “tendency” of voice abrasiveness, though nowhere near that “grainy” impression I got when I was in Seattle. [/size]
[size=medium]-- HE6 has a more relaxed sound and is fuller, more realistic. [/size]
[size=medium]-- Still couldn’t handle the LCD2’s clamping pressure; The HE6 on the other hand is very comfy, did not feel too heavy either.[/size]
[size=medium]-- I don't like the HE6's leather skin at all. Meanwhile the LCD2 looks great.  [/size]
[size=medium]-- over all, HE6 gets my vote, especially for long sessions. YMMV. [/size]

Wow, I think someone switched around the name tags on each can before you audtioned them. Apart form the narrower sound stage comment with which I concur,
I found the He-6 more forward in its presentation, leaner, less laid-back than the Aueze and the clamping force on the HiFiMan was unbearable. And the weight distribution
on the He-6 actually made them feel heavier than the LCD-2s. Go figure.
And how can you recommend the HE-6s for long sessions after you only listened to them briefly?

Jul 10, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #171 of 185

Quote:
Wow, I think someone switched around the name tags on each can before you audtioned them. Apart form the narrower sound stage comment with which I concur,
I found the He-6 more forward in its presentation, leaner, less laid-back than the Aueze and the clamping force on the HiFiMan was unbearable. And the weight distribution
And how can you recommend the HE-6s for long sessions after you only listened to them briefly?

HE-6 does not have too much clamping force.  The headband is adjustable.  Just bend center of the headband a bit so it is less sharp of an arc and the pressure will be reduced. 

Back on topic on updates
Owning my HE-6 for about 3 months now and I still greatly prefer it over the LCD-2.  I just love the sound signature as it is tonally accurate for the music I listen to.  LCD-2 makes electric guitar sound like bass guitar.  LCD-2 is not tonally correct unless you listen to blues and jazz, genres of music I never touch.

Jul 10, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #172 of 185
HE-6 does not have too much clamping force.  The headband is adjustable.  Just bend center of the headband a bit so it is less sharp of an arc and the pressure will be reduced. 

Back on topic on updates
Owning my HE-6 for about 3 months now and I still greatly prefer it over the LCD-2.  I just love the sound signature as it is tonally accurate for the music I listen to.  LCD-2 makes electric guitar sound like bass guitar.  LCD-2 is not tonally correct unless you listen to blues and jazz, genres of music I never touch.

All depends on your audio chain I listen to alot of 80's metal and have not heard Judas Priest's guitars sound like bass guitars. Now maybe in your setup it does but not everyone's

Jul 10, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #175 of 185

Quote:
All depends on your audio chain I listen to alot of 80's metal and have not heard Judas Priest's guitars sound like bass guitars. Now maybe in your setup it does but not everyone's

Agreed, the LCD-2 has great guitar reproduction, both electric and acoustic. All stringed instruments sound tonally accurate to me out of the LCD-2 with great timbre including bass guitars and even violins. The HE-6 does a good job as well, neither are superior in this department just slightly different.

Jul 10, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #176 of 185
When we had our San Diego meet, I had a chance to a/b the HE6 and LCD-2 in several rigs. To my ears, the HE6 always sounded too bright and a bit etched and I just couldn't get into it, it felt clinical and overly dry.

It was clearly a good phone, but I felt it was too analytical sounding to let the music flow. But my bias is towards gear that is tonally what I perceive as balanced, and the HE6 just felt too energetic up top. But there are people who feel the LCD is too darkl, and for them this would probably be a great alternative.

With two pieces of gear this good it is hard to pick a winner without ultimately simply saying "I prefer this sonic signature to that."

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 10, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #177 of 185
I'm exaggerating the bassiness of guitars, but the idea is I think there is too much bass impact on the LCD-2.  The LCD-2 is a lot more balanced on my setup but is unbearably warm on a 160D and treble was almost nonexistent.  I would not go as far as to say that the LCD-2 is dark, but just VERY VERY warm.  Warm usually sounds fun to me initially then gets monotonous as I continue listening.  I enjoy my music from beginning to end with analytical sound, although the initial "wow" factor might be lower.  Grado is like salty chips while the LCD-2 is like candy.  Candy gets too sweet after awhile but salty foods are too salty for some.  Some people like salty, some like sweet, HE-6 is like MSG salty with hint of sweetness.  Hope you get my analogy.

Talking about Judas Priest, they finally got their turn on my foobar.  I get into phases when listening to music and it has been a long time since I listened to them so why not.  It was the first time I listened to them with my HE-6 and don't remember myself enjoying their music this much since the first time I heard their stuff.  The first metal band but their stuff was so metal even for something that came out in the late 70's.  Rob Halford is still the only operatic vocalist I can listen to.  Very awesome vocalist!

Jul 10, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #179 of 185

Quote:
I'm exaggerating the bassiness of guitars, but the idea is I think there is too much bass impact on the LCD-2.  The LCD-2 is a lot more balanced on my setup but is unbearably warm on a 160D and treble was almost nonexistent.  I would not go as far as to say that the LCD-2 is dark, but just VERY VERY warm.  Warm usually sounds fun to me initially then gets monotonous as I continue listening.  I enjoy my music from beginning to end with analytical sound, although the initial "wow" factor might be lower.  Grado is like salty chips while the LCD-2 is like candy.  Candy gets too sweet after awhile but salty foods are too salty for some.  Some people like salty, some like sweet, HE-6 is like MSG salty with hint of sweetness.  Hope you get my analogy.

Talking about Judas Priest, they finally got their turn on my foobar.  I get into phases when listening to music and it has been a long time since I listened to them so why not.  It was the first time I listened to them with my HE-6 and don't remember myself enjoying their music this much since the first time I heard their stuff.  The first metal band but their stuff was so metal even for something that came out in the late 70's.  Rob Halford is still the only operatic vocalist I can listen to.  Very awesome vocalist!

Mmmm... sweet salty. Wait, MSG?
eek.gif

Jul 11, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #180 of 185

Quote:

He heard the leather-clad HE-6 prototype on the ZDT which didn't power them well, so they were a little darker and softer/slower sounding than the final HE-6 on the ZDT.  I'm not sure why he thought the LCD-2 were brighter as I thought they were a little dark on the ZDT as well.  With the new partial silver transformers the ZDT has really woken up and seems to have better micro-detail and speed, and both sound great with it now.  

I still prefer the HE-6, but the LCD-2 are much easier to live with now.  I do find the HE-6 more forward in the mids, making them more involving, and for me the LCD-2 are more laid back and distant/reverb'y but the LCD-2 are the ones that clamp like a vice for me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back