For those of you who listen to music in bed, do you have a dedicated bedroom set-up?
Sep 23, 2013 at 9:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Flognuts

100+ Head-Fier
If so what do you use? 

Going from my desktop set-up in the office to the ipod in bed is kind of depressing :I.

what are some cheap but good sounding alternatives?

Sep 23, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #2 of 22
I use a Rockboxed Clip+ and a Westone W1. The casing of the W1 is flat enough to hardly feel it when on one ear. The Clip+ isn't perfect, but when I'm sleepy I can't really be bothered by it.

Sep 23, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #3 of 22
I would be afraid to go to sleep with any kind of headgear. If somehow I went to sleep with them, they would probable end up with smashed shells or extremly bent cables. Or in the case of iems I would wake up with pressure problems on my ears... I guess I move a lot while sleeping
confused_face.gif

Sep 24, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #4 of 22
That's exactly why I go with a low-budget setup. Nothing I can't afford to replace. The only thing that worries me is (not) waking up with the cord around my neck, but when wearing the cord over ear and to the back of my head, that doesn't happen easily.

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #5 of 22
I used to go to sleep with all my headphones (wow, this sounds so... pervert..
evil_smiley.gif
): AKG K501, AKG K1000 (!! - very much tilted forward so that the headband was lying on top of my forehead, and also with the "wings" almost closed), Stax SR-303, Sennheiser HD600 when I had them. But never with the intent of sleeping until morning - I usually woke up after a couple of hours or so, put the phones back to their place and returned to bed. Of course, I was lying on my back with a small pillow under my head while listening.

I did this many times through many years (about 20 years, to be more specific) and only once did I manage to break something (a plastic fork from the Stax phones). I must admit treating the K1000 like this could have been a little bit risky, but with a "normal" headphone (K501, HD600 etc.) I think it's pretty safe.

Just make sure you're listening at low to moderate levels - the lower, the better.

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #6 of 22
For reading in bed, I've begun setting up a rig but I have similar concerns of falling asleep and damaging the headphones. Those times I fall asleep listening in my main rig, I wake up to fatigued ears because of being too loud. Not a pleasant feeling. I used to use the K701 but the Ms don't want to listen to my music/TV while trying to sleep. That's where I stand at this point, no closed phones. I use a tubed headphone amp, old DAC and USB converter off my sat. box in the bedroom. I hesitate to spend a grand for a quality set of closed phones for as short a time listening before nodding out.

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #8 of 22
in bed I use my Hifiman RE400 ....my Sansa Clip and my cmoy.....works very nice.

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #10 of 22
Ha!...Thanks.

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #11 of 22
I actually have my setup close enough to my bed that I can listen while laying down with my HD800's.  It's quite nice. Only downside is I have to get up in order to change the album/song unless I'm listening to internet radio.

Nov 22, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #12 of 22
Modi + Magni > HD600 for the beside. I don't listen to them when I'm sleeping though, I take them off when I'm relaxed enough to go to sleep. I've never fallen asleep with them on yet luckily as I always sleep on my side.

Nov 22, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #13 of 22
Those times I fall asleep listening in my main rig, I wake up to fatigued ears because of being too loud. Not a pleasant feeling.

I never listen very loud, and sleeping while music is on means you are not aware of the sound but the ears still have to bear with the sound pressure level. A bit like wearing out your ears / hearing without taking any advantage of this. So I always listen at rather low levels when going to sleep with my headphones on.

Nov 22, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #14 of 22
  I never listen very loud, and sleeping while music is on means you are not aware of the sound but the ears still have to bear with the sound pressure level. A bit like wearing out your ears / hearing without taking any advantage of this. So I always listen at rather low levels when going to sleep with my headphones on.

True, I guess, but the music player is set to turn off automatically after one album.  So it's not an issue.

Nov 23, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #15 of 22
My bediside rig is a Little Dot 1+ pushing an AKG K701 with a 160GB iPod as a source. The LD is set to low gain and works extremely well with my 701s. These plus a Kindle gets all the kinks out after a long stressful day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back