For those of us with multiple headphones, which ones are you listening with now?
Mar 25, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #18,901 of 20,670
Haven;t been listening to this album for quite some time. I do miss Rockna WaveLigth smoothness and organic sound, but than Mytek can be great for critical listening, and I really like pairing with Stellia, especially since it does not require separate amp. Would I sell my AuroraSound HEADA and Maze Empys - no! but Mytek is a great choice and perfect fit for small desktop setup.

Screenshot 2024-03-25 at 21.04.24.png

Rockna WLS > Mytek Brooklyn Bridge (FRMP filter, analog volume control) > Focal Stellias

Mar 25, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #18,904 of 20,670
On the road camped out taking a break at another lay-by/rest stop. Listening to the DCA Stealths running off the Schiit Lyr (70s 6N23P Reflektor tubes) with the Schiit Modi Multibit 2 decoding the coax from a Wiim Pro. The Stealths are a bit of an enigmatic pair of headphones that either click with an amp or sound terrible (compressed, lacking dynamics and articulation, etc) and nothing in between. Thankfully, the Lyr-Stealth combo is great, bringing plenty of control over the low end making them articulate, detailed and dynamic. The Stealths also seem to pick up more of the tube characteristics from the Lyr than many other headphones. With these Reflektors they get a nice touch of nuanced microdetailing and clean attack and decay on notes that leads to a really next level listening experience when combined with the MMB2. 👍😎

On deck in my queue is Isobar's 2023 release, Isobar III. I revisit this album fairly often as I love Isobar's music and the way they groove together under the more technical aspects of their bridges and melodies. This album is definitely their best work to my ears and it has been cool to track their growth from their first album. I love watching a band develop, remaining true to their sound, but constantly improving and refining and not allowing themselves to become stagnant. If instrumental neo-prog is your jam, this album is a must listen, IMO. 🤘😎

Mar 25, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #18,905 of 20,670
Listening on one of my DAW:s, QOBUS WASAPI -> Tascam 2X2HR -> Yamaha RX-A2050 (pure direct) -> SONY MDR-Z7M2, sounds really fun

Screenshot 2024-03-25 214628.png

Mar 25, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #18,906 of 20,670
Lower Definition - The Greatest of All Lost Arts
IMG_7027.jpeg
Neo 5 / RU7 / iPhone PM 15 / Qobuz

Busy day, taking my lunch break to enjoy one of the best posthardcore records to ever be released. This band deserved so much more.

Mar 25, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #18,907 of 20,670
Lower Definition - The Greatest of All Lost Arts
IMG_7027.jpeg
Neo 5 / RU7 / iPhone PM 15 / Qobuz

Busy day, taking my lunch break to enjoy one of the best posthardcore records to ever be released. This band deserved so much more.

Wow, I haven't heard this album in years! Now I've gotta throw it in the queue and have a listen. I love seeing how albums I haven't listened to in forever sit with me. It's crazy how much perspective and tastes can change over time and many times it's even more remarkable how memories or emotions attached to music can override decades of changes and keep an album classic and fresh through it all. It's always an interesting experience. Thanks for the pick from yesteryear! 😎

Mar 25, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #18,908 of 20,670
Wow, I haven't heard this album in years! Now I've gotta throw it in the queue and have a listen. I love seeing how albums I haven't listened to in forever sit with me. It's crazy how much perspective and tastes can change over time and many times it's even more remarkable how memories or emotions attached to music can override decades of changes and keep an album classic and fresh through it all. It's always an interesting experience. Thanks for the pick from yesteryear! 😎
Agreed, there are so many bands who copy/pasted this format but hearing the inspiration… been feeling really nostalgic for a lot of things in this late 2000’s era. It’s nice to visit old friends.

Mar 25, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #18,910 of 20,670
Chick Corea and Return to Forever - Light as a Feather
1711405085340.png

Neo 5 / Schiit stack / Qobuz

Mar 25, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #18,911 of 20,670
roon >> SMSL SU9 >> SMSL SH9 >> Sennheiser HD800S :musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note::musical_note:

lakesongsofelbid.jpg

Lakesongs of Elbid (2024) by Albion - Revisiting what is so far my album of 2024. It's the debut album of the new, British progsters Albion, led by vocalist, guitarist and flutist (flautist) Joe Parrish-James who until very recently was lead guitarist with Jethro Tull. Judging by the excellent flute playing he's learned some tricks from Ian Anderson or maybe it's the other way round as Joe is classically trained and has a degree in classical composition and arrangement. I love the way this album veers first one way and the next, from pomp rock to folk to metal to sea shanty, you have no chance of becoming bored as the music is just constantly changing. The HD800S really bring out the best in this album, it's so rich in fine details and they are all laid bare by the Sennys, so it's just as well that the album is superbly recorded with decent dynamic range. :darthsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back