For The Love of God...Do Not Buy Souls
Jun 30, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #76 of 160
Quote:
that is because they do not know of the many other headphones they will enjoy better once discovered

and ignorance is bliss too...just look at us HeadFi'ers
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #78 of 160
Quote:
Because they are out to steal from the sheep. It's like the cereal conspiracy. Cocoa Puffs cost a lot of money because there's a frilly character on the front but the generic Chocolate Balls is the same product only it comes in a bag instead of a box and the marketing department 86th the characters. These kids that grew up choosing Cocoa Puffs over Chocolate Balls are the same one's now choosing Beats over Grado/Sennheiser/Denon/AKG. It's a shame

Ha ha I know right!

Jun 30, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #79 of 160
Because they are out to steal from the sheep. It's like the cereal conspiracy. Cocoa Puffs cost a lot of money because there's a frilly character on the front but the generic Chocolate Balls is the same product only it comes in a bag instead of a box and the marketing department 86th the characters. These kids that grew up choosing Cocoa Puffs over Chocolate Balls are the same one's now choosing Beats over Grado/Sennheiser/Denon/AKG. It's a shame
Cocoa Puffs are fine to buy "generic" but don't you try and say my Frosted Flakes are the same as the generic ones!! I don't want some busted up flakes with no frosting even on them!

My point is, there's only so far you can take the "don't buy into advertising" mentality before the better product is actually the one that is advertised better as well. I have an LG HDTV. LG advertises quite a bit for all of their products, and I have to say it is one of the best out there for the money at this size. That's not to say all of these products are terrible due to lack of advertising, but it's more applicable to make such a comparison in a (somewhat) niche market than in a higher profile market.

The fact that Grado, Denon, and AKG don't advertise much at all is part of their problem in not being chosen over the Beats. Taking it back to cereal, when they are in the same location, and you can see that there is no difference, or that one is a better value, that's one thing, but when you advertise so little, and your product is so expensive, that the stores selling Beats and other phones of lesser value don't carry your product, how do you expect comparisons to be made?

Denon has been a major name in higher end audio in the past, more so in the HT and stereo venues, but with much of the market moving from stereos and quality HT to simple soundbars and things like Bose's DSP fueled simulated surround, their name is less of a powerhouse than it used to be. AKG and Grado are much farther behind in the customer recognition due to always being somewhat of a niche market since headphone use was not the most popular thing in the past, and vinyl has settled down enough that Grado isn't even all that well known for carts anymore.

Anyway, the whole point of that is that some advertising is always good for business, and by relying on communities such as our own and loyalty to brands that have proven their value in the past to you, sales will never be as monstrous as well, Monster.

Jun 30, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #80 of 160
Quote:
Cocoa Puffs are fine to buy "generic" but don't you try and say my Frosted Flakes are the same as the generic ones!! I don't want some busted up flakes with no frosting even on them!
My point is, there's only so far you can take the "don't buy into advertising" mentality before the better product is actually the one that is advertised better as well. I have an LG HDTV. LG advertises quite a bit for all of their products, and I have to say it is one of the best out there for the money at this size. That's not to say all of these products are terrible due to lack of advertising, but it's more applicable to make such a comparison in a (somewhat) niche market than in a higher profile market.
The fact that Grado, Denon, and AKG don't advertise much at all is part of their problem in not being chosen over the Beats. Taking it back to cereal, when they are in the same location, and you can see that there is no difference, or that one is a better value, that's one thing, but when you advertise so little, and your product is so expensive, that the stores selling Beats and other phones of lesser value don't carry your product, how do you expect comparisons to be made?
Denon has been a major name in higher end audio in the past, more so in the HT and stereo venues, but with much of the market moving from stereos and quality HT to simple soundbars and things like Bose's DSP fueled simulated surround, their name is less of a powerhouse than it used to be. AKG and Grado are much farther behind in the customer recognition due to always being somewhat of a niche market since headphone use was not the most popular thing in the past, and vinyl has settled down enough that Grado isn't even all that well known for carts anymore.
Anyway, the whole point of that is that some advertising is always good for business, and by relying on communities such as our own and loyalty to brands that have proven their value in the past to you, sales will never be as monstrous as well, Monster.

seems the less ads, the more quality of a product you get.

Jun 30, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #82 of 160
cause the money is used for construction of the headphones, and not to pay for the expensive advertisement of the headphones

Jun 30, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #83 of 160
reminds me of when i heard the beats again at the apple store, they sounded worse than i remember. 

Jun 30, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #84 of 160
what if......

the beats solo could be used in SAW, headfi edition.... where an audiophile is strapped to a chair in a dimly lit room, and the solos slowly lowered onto the victim's head before the audio is being played through it, within 5 minutes he should be telling all the truth and secrets he knows and be on the brink of insanity

Jun 30, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #85 of 160
I gotta say, I listened to a lot of the headphones at Best Buy and the Souls are much better than the Beats. I was listening to Tom Sawyer by Rush and during a drum roll Neal does I could actually distinguish every hit of the drums whereas I could not with the Beats. But they still have that muddy bass.

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone with Tapatalk

Jun 30, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #86 of 160
Quote:
 Quote:
Meh. Personally, blame both.

Companies and business models like that wouldn't exist if your average consumer actually spent (indepedent) time researching their major purchases. Most don't and it is their fault that they get suckered into buying inferior products by companies like Monster. Nothing wrong with that really, it only becomes very annoying when these uninformed consumers try to lecture hobbyists about how their newest purchase (ie. Beats) is worthy of a divine designation. 

Well people don't regards those purchases as "major" anyway. They don't care about researching since it's not really their hobby. Personally, when I hear someone says "Beats are the best", I interpret it as "Beats are the best for us, who don't care about sound", so I'd let them be and be happy with my audio equipments. When they give me the stare, I'd just smile and feel proud because I stand out from the rest.

Jul 1, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #87 of 160
Agreed, there's no conspiracy to sell people on bad sound, Monster has simply figured how much they can charge for Beats, and it worked.  And, anybody who doesn't research and do their homework, really deserves what they get I guess.  It's just too bad that they don't.  

Jul 1, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #89 of 160
 I have to say, this thread is kind of reminding me of those people that feel the need to push their religious/political beliefs in others' faces lol. I love audio and the Beats/Souls suck, but I really don't feel the urge to scream it out to the world and say so... Hey, whatever floats your boat right?

Jul 1, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #90 of 160
Quote:
 I have to say, this thread is kind of reminding me of those people that feel the need to push their religious/political beliefs in others' faces lol. I love audio and the Beats/Souls suck, but I really don't feel the urge to scream it out to the world and say so... Hey, whatever floats your boat right?

Well they just want people to understand that you don't have to be brainwashed by what the media sells you. We want people to understand that you can enjoy more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back