For The Love of God...Do Not Buy Souls
Jul 19, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #151 of 160
beats has reduced price here in malaysia, does it apply to other places as well?

Jul 24, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #153 of 160
Quote:
Quote:

I lol'ed at this, please don't state things as facts when you don't actually know anything about the topic

Care to enlighten me?

I did a seminar on bad scientific papers/studies with fellow coworkers and the easiest papers to criticize were those against GMO's. In general anti-GMO proponents can't do science. Really the quality between organic food and GMOs is due to mass production type (commercial) farming versus smaller farms, not the genetic modification. There are certain risks but not from the packaged food itself but cross pollination of organic and wildlife plants/animals. GMO's are highly tested and any with negative side effects are quickly removed.

Let me ask you, exactly why are GMO's bad?

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #154 of 160
I just love head-fi, from a discussion about Beats and Souls, we end up with a talk about GMOs!
deadhorse.gif

Jul 26, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #156 of 160
Quote:

I did a seminar on bad scientific papers/studies with fellow coworkers and the easiest papers to criticize were those against GMO's. In general anti-GMO proponents can't do science. Really the quality between organic food and GMOs is due to mass production type (commercial) farming versus smaller farms, not the genetic modification. There are certain risks but not from the packaged food itself but cross pollination of organic and wildlife plants/animals. GMO's are highly tested and any with negative side effects are quickly removed.

Let me ask you, exactly why are GMO's bad?

Well I didn't know what's bad about GMO so I just asked for some explanation lol
But isn't it common sense to say that mass production usually compromises quality?

Jul 26, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #157 of 160
So the thing with GMO's is, about 99% of the genes inserted into the plants is for a pesticide or herbicide resistance. Meaning if you spray these chemicals on normal plants they die while the GMO plants live, allowing production to go up without worrying about insects, fungus, weeds that kill crops.

What may be considered bad about these foods, and the focus of antiGMO people is the chemicals that are sprayed on GMO plants, not the GMO itself. But if you actually read these papers the facts that are given are unsupported, not well studied, isolated, or just plain bad. For example one such paper states that a common pesticide used on GMO plants were responsible for killing some children in farming villages. Well it turns out these kids were literally sprayed and covered in the stuff daily (occupational hazard, nonsafe practices in 3rd world countries  and all that).

GMO's however can lead to unwanted effects as complete gene transcription and protein signalling pathways are not completely understood. These products are immediately removed during testing before mass production. Cross pollination with wildlife or organic produce can also be very bad and lead to new genetic mutations. This is why organic farms are, by law at minimum XX miles away from GMO farms and still regularly tested for cross pollination.

In short GMO's aren't bad, the ones in mass production are well understood. The risk of a bad batch is almost the same as e.coli scares and such and handled accordingly. GMO's just had a bad stigma because the risks are overexaggerated.

As for those who are religious, I can't say much. As a catholic biologist hoping to go into medicine I've had to make a lot of compromises

Alright waay off topic
It's hard to imagine something full size worse than the Solo's, only had mine for a week before I started lurking these forums and returning it. (Although they did sound "fun" the quality was just meh)

Jul 27, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #160 of 160
Quote:
So the thing with GMO's is, about 99% of the genes inserted into the plants is for a pesticide or herbicide resistance. Meaning if you spray these chemicals on normal plants they die while the GMO plants live, allowing production to go up without worrying about insects, fungus, weeds that kill crops.

What may be considered bad about these foods, and the focus of antiGMO people is the chemicals that are sprayed on GMO plants, not the GMO itself. But if you actually read these papers the facts that are given are unsupported, not well studied, isolated, or just plain bad. For example one such paper states that a common pesticide used on GMO plants were responsible for killing some children in farming villages. Well it turns out these kids were literally sprayed and covered in the stuff daily (occupational hazard, nonsafe practices in 3rd world countries  and all that).

GMO's however can lead to unwanted effects as complete gene transcription and protein signalling pathways are not completely understood. These products are immediately removed during testing before mass production. Cross pollination with wildlife or organic produce can also be very bad and lead to new genetic mutations. This is why organic farms are, by law at minimum XX miles away from GMO farms and still regularly tested for cross pollination.

In short GMO's aren't bad, the ones in mass production are well understood. The risk of a bad batch is almost the same as e.coli scares and such and handled accordingly. GMO's just had a bad stigma because the risks are overexaggerated.

As for those who are religious, I can't say much. As a catholic biologist hoping to go into medicine I've had to make a lot of compromises

Alright waay off topic
It's hard to imagine something full size worse than the Solo's, only had mine for a week before I started lurking these forums and returning it. (Although they did sound "fun" the quality was just meh)

Off topic but interesting :D. After I bought my HD598, I can't even stand listening to Beats headphones for more than 5mins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back