For the Gamers: Astro A40 2011 Unboxing/ Initial impressions.
Jan 25, 2011 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

akaTRENT

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I have posted on another forum or two outside of headfi, but I know there are some gamers on here that may be interested. Here is the Unboxing video and under are my initial sound impressions (Ill have a full review in a few weeks):

So the comfort of these is awesome. Feels literally like tempurpediac and more comfortable than my ATH A700'S.
They will actually contour to your glasses frame.

The old A40 has been described by guys like MLGSteggy as "hollow" with lacking bass. The new pads, really help keep the bass in
as these have some of the best bass I have heard out of gaming headset.

Compared to the Senn PC 360 with an ASTRO MixAmp:
A40 2011, sounds like an amazing surround sound speaker system in a perfect room, Tone is like a worn in acoustic guitar very woody.
The sound is definitley tuned for gaming, and even though they are an open ear headset they feel semi open.

PC 360, sounds natural, like you are actually there, sound is brighter like a new acoustic guitar, but it sounds thinner, although not in a bad way.
Needs more crank on the volume to match the level of the A40's with the mixamp. A bit more power hungry.

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 16
I'm hoping that I'll be getting the PC360's soon to do a comparison between the new A40's/PC360/HD595. A few people have commented that the PC360 has a thinner sound than the HD595, I suspect it's because of its higher impedence. I'd really be interested in trying out the PC360 with like a Zero amp/dac.

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 16

Quote:
I'm hoping that I'll be getting the PC360's soon to do a comparison between the new A40's/PC360/HD595. A few people have commented that the PC360 has a thinner sound than the HD595, I suspect it's because of its higher impedence. I'd really be interested in trying out the PC360 with like a Zero amp/dac.

Check my PC 360 post, I did mention they sound a bit thin/ airy

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #5 of 16
Nice video!  I was never a fan of the A40 headset.  I haven't tried the 2011's- seems like all that is changed is the earpads and mic, so I don't really expect the sound to be much better.  I guess sound quality matters alot less when playing games compared to music, but with its $200 price tag I guess I expect more.  

I do love the Mixamp though, especially the wireless. 

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #6 of 16
Ear pads/housing can make a big difference in the sound Silentnoise. I know there are tons of people on head-fi that love experimenting with different ear pads, or having grado woodies, etc. 

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
Nice video!  I was never a fan of the A40 headset.  I haven't tried the 2011's- seems like all that is changed is the earpads and mic, so I don't really expect the sound to be much better.  I guess sound quality matters alot less when playing games compared to music, but with its $200 price tag I guess I expect more.  

I do love the Mixamp though, especially the wireless. 

They have made minor driver changes over the years If am correct, but nothing to major. Dampening can make a HUGE difference.
I think though when you consider the a40 as a lifestyle headphone as well, the price is little easier. Whether its as good as a 200 set of headphones is debate-able, but when you factor in all the features and what you get its alot more.

I look at them more as like a $150 dollar headphone with $50 bucks worth of accesories. And compared to most other "gaming headsets" the ASTRO's are near the top though IMHO. If we were to compare to audiophile headphones though in the same price, thats a whole nother ball game! :)

Let me know what you think though!

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #8 of 16
Hopefully the 360 are a totally different beast, because for 150$ my 350 are horrible.

Sennheiser is riding their brand name's **** all the way to bank it would seem for some of these products.

May 18, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #10 of 16
The PC360's cost as much as the complete Astro A40 system (wired).

May 18, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #11 of 16
i went with the 2011 A40 mixamp + headset combo and was satisfied... until I plugged my 770/80's into the mixamp and went :0 my ultimate conclusion was that the a40 headset was just not worth it as just about any other mid-fi/hi-fi can is IMO superior in every aspect (most importantly soundstaging, positioning, imaging, etc). i kept the mixamp, listed the A40 headset on ebay and haven't looked back. the 770's were fun, but i prefer the open 990's for competitive gaming as the soundstage is just incredible and there's ample bass, as well as the added bonus of being able to hear my teammates in the same room. the one downside of the switch was losing the mic from the A40 headset. i've since gotten a $2.31 omni clip on from dealextreme that is more than adequate, but it does add to the already rather prodigious cable spaghetti. nowadays if i'm just playing some singleplayer i'll use the pro 900's with the mixamp... a portable home theatre system on your head 
L3000.gif

May 18, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #12 of 16
i went with the 2011 A40 mixamp + headset combo and was satisfied... until I plugged my 770/80's into the mixamp and went :0 my ultimate conclusion was that the a40 headset was just not worth it as just about any other mid-fi/hi-fi can is IMO superior in every aspect (most importantly soundstaging, positioning, imaging, etc).

Interesting.

May 18, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #13 of 16
again, that is just my opinion. i don't mean to troll on the A40 headset at all because it is quite solid and perfect for the on-the-go competitive gamer. its just that for roughly the price that i was able to sell my A40 headset for you can get a pair of 990/250's which, while not my first choice for music, can be easily powered by the mixamp alone and provide a whole new level for gaming. i'd be quite interested in trying the Beyer MMX-300 as it is basically just some 770s with a really nice mic wired in. there is definitely something to be said about the convenience of the astro mic + headset combo. 

May 19, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #14 of 16
I'm gonna pick up the mixamp and try it with my Denon D2Ks.

May 19, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #15 of 16
^You are in for a treat :)

I use my Mixamp with my SRH840 whenever I don't need to chat.

Hands down the best feature of Astro's gear is its universal compatibility with all stereo headphones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back