For any given budget.... dynamic or planar magnetic headphone?
Jul 24, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #16 of 33
Will be able to listen to the Arya and LCD-X soon... that store also has a Focal Utopia, but I´m scared... how good is it?
After A/B testing the Ananda with the Ayra on my DX300 with AMP12 with the C9, I switched to the Utopia to see what I would experience. Man, I love these headphones. The bass response is glorious and the resolution is fantastic and a lot better than the Arya.

Jul 24, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #17 of 33
Ok so maybe we take this back to the original post and ask, at $500, does it make more sense to go with something like the HD600/650 or Sundara? Assume it's someone's first foray into something of this technical level, meaning they probably have a decent amp, though probably not one that would have an advantage in current drive or fancy DSP if that's your thing. Do you say go dynamic or planar? Kinda touches on a broader concept.

I think the question is valid. Not sure why we took the tangent.
that's a tough call. I would go with the HD600 even though the Sundara is probably better technically. I just love the tuning on the HD600.

Jul 24, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #18 of 33
that's a tough call. I would go with the HD600 even though the Sundara is probably better technically. I just love the tuning on the HD600.
Similar to how I feel about the 650(6XX). Not the best technical performer in the stable, but unique enough to stand above the other guys. Maybe it's the timbre advantage.

Jul 24, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #20 of 33
I disagree. I think you can convey general information and if people want to know specifics, then we can discuss it in more detail. If you want to know specifics, then ask a question and I would be delighted to advance the discussion.

I can say that the HD800S has the biggest sound stage of the headphones I own without describing all of the AMPs I tested it with. It's a general concept that is true across most if not all amps.
Fair enough and i'm with you on that. :wink:

I don't like that kind of headstage (HD800) on a headphone, but that is it, just my preference.
Some like it, and some don't. Like always in that hobby.

I like my Era-1, open planar, a lot and wouldn't exchange it for any other hp atm. Even my D9200 couldn't scratch on that and would leave me quicker than the Quad. ^^

But that's bc the Era-1 fits my preference to nearly 100%.

That said, there're so many great headphones out there i've no clue about.
Maybe time will tell.

All the best
Chris

Jul 24, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #21 of 33
Similar to how I feel about the 650(6XX). Not the best technical performer in the stable, but unique enough to stand above the other guys. Maybe it's the timbre advantage.
As I said, I really do prefer the timbre of dynamic drivers. But, in the case of the HD600, the tuning is what is great about that headphone. I also have the HD650 which was my first audiophile quality headphone. But I prefer the tuning on the HD600. My main headphones are pretty high end as you can see from my prior posts. However, on any given day, I will just bust out the HD600s and listen to them to see if I have changed my opinion of them. And, the tuning and sound is just so good with them that I can easily overlook the technical weaknesses of and cheap build quality of the headphone. The timbre and the tuning are what does it for me.

Also, it's possible that I picked the HD600 over the Sundara because I imprinted first on the sound on the HD600 and 650. It's possible that I could reverse my opinion if I bought the Sundara first.

Jul 26, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #22 of 33
This to me is where a amp makes a difference. Using say a Magni 3 I prefer the Sundara’s over the 6XX’s but switch to a Bottlehead Crack (yes I know the Sundara’s really don’t work with this amp well at all) and without a doubt I’ll take the sound of the 6XX’s and then switch again to the iFI ZenCan Signature 6XX this is where they come back closer together where I think the onboard analog eq really helps the 6XX’s and don’t use it for the Sundara’s but they do come closer together for me but still might take the Sundara’s but the eq with the XSpace is nice with the 6XX’s.

Jul 26, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #23 of 33
I was wondering, for any given budget - let´s say around 500, 1000 and 1500 bucks, would you get a dynamic headphone or planar magnetic, and why?

I have the impression that planar magnetic has a higher ceiling in terms of price, maybe also sonic quality.
But at the same price points, which technology is usually the better one?

And is this even a valid question or am I basing it on wrong assumptions?

Cheers,
Andy
I'll generally pick dynamic drivers over planars, other things being equal, of course. I prefer a natural, coherent tone over the technicality and speed of planars - for the most part. Of course, there are planars with great tone, and dynamics with great technicalities and speed, so it's not a black/white situation.

Jul 29, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #24 of 33
Personally the bass and tonality of planars just speak much more to me especially on the Ether 2s, but honestly a great deal of it depends on the implementation as the short time I had demoing the Utopias blew me away with the vocals it was able to produce.

Jul 30, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #25 of 33
Hifiman Arya
Sennheiser HD800/S
Focal Clear
Hifiman HE6 (I'd prefer it to any Audeze except LCD-4 if you have a good amp)

Note: you can get used Stax SR-007 with SRM-717/727 for about 1300-1500 USD

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #26 of 33
Hifiman Arya
Sennheiser HD800/S
Focal Clear
Hifiman HE6 (I'd prefer it to any Audeze except LCD-4 if you have a good amp)

Note: you can get used Stax SR-007 with SRM-717/727 for about 1300-1500 USD
I have found a local-ish dealer willing to lend me a Hifiman Arya and an LCD-X... I am so stoked to try these out.

Sep 2, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #28 of 33
Damn you guys :D Lending period for the headphones is over, and the Arya stays. Holy smokes, that thing is good! :darthsmile:
Glad you found your thing.
Whatever makes you smile and enjoy your music has to stay on your side. :)

Sep 2, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #29 of 33
As per previous comments amp matching can be significant, comparing Quad ERA-1 with AKG 702 on my Eximus DAC … which has a well reviewed “good” headphone output, and never gets close to the second half of the volume knob with either headphone, they sound significantly different, switching over to to an Icon Audio valve amp which is transformer based with three different selectable output impedances and the difference is even more noticeable, but switch away from the “low” setting for the Quads or the “mid” setting for the AKG’s and both sound notably worse, so for each headphone is there an optimum amp output impedance where they perform their best ?
Also have an older Stax Lambda pro setup that sound different again but they run off their own dedicated amp …

Sep 2, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #30 of 33
Depends on what I am using them for and the environment I am in. I own planars (sundaras) for pure music listening. I own some K371's for mixing and editing and I own some Bose noise canceling headphones for when I need to block out noises or for portable use. I like to use them when I mow the lawn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back