For all ya bassheads out there: What song tests your headphones to the limit?
Nov 20, 2003 at 11:02 PM Post #16 of 58
"A Perfect Circle - Lullaby" from their latest album "Thirteenth Step" It's not really a song, but it's got some real heavy and deep bass in it. It was with this song I found out that my newly bought AKG K271's were damaged so I had to return them. (The right earcup "vibrated" during this song, giving it a crappy sound)

Nov 20, 2003 at 11:24 PM Post #18 of 58
Anything by bass mekanik is good. The boston accoustics test is all right too.

Eat static is some good techno with a mostly musical bottom end, with the occasional one-note bass hits found in techno interspersed throughout.

Cheers,
Geek

Nov 21, 2003 at 12:26 AM Post #20 of 58
The loudest and lowest bass i've ever heard on any recording is the

drum roll please.....

the telarc recording of
Tchaikovsky
1812 overture

telarc makes near perfect copys of the music and uses no limiters or sound EQ's in there recordings. In the 1812 overture they recorded 16 shots from actual 19th century cannons!! The album book says the intital blast is in the 2000 hz to 3000 hz range and the fallowing boom goes down to 6 HZ! It is very very loud and probably the cleanest bass. While playing it through my main speaker system I accidentally poped about six dry wall screws out of the wall next to the sub. It was really really loud needless to say. Give it a try you won't be disappointed.

Ryan

Nov 21, 2003 at 1:35 AM Post #21 of 58
i have beethoven's "wellington's victory" on vinyl. if you don't know, it is a potboiler with cavalry charges, with banks of real muskets and cannons going off on either side of the stage. the canon and musket shots were written into the music, and on the vinyl i have, as wellington chases off napoleon's army, they fire heavier and heavier charges out of the canon. the last few shots will rattle the neighbor's windows.

i can actually see in the lp's grooves where the canons go off at the end. the whole record cartridge twitches.
eek.gif

Nov 21, 2003 at 2:19 AM Post #22 of 58
Cool, people actually answered.
smily_headphones1.gif

Guess I have some catchin up to do....
Nice list, ppl.

Another on mine is Prodigy's Smack My Bitch Up.

Deep ass drum line.

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 21, 2003 at 2:33 AM Post #23 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by ReD sKyE

Another on mine is Prodigy's Smack My Bitch Up.

Deep ass drum line.

smily_headphones1.gif

great video for that one, too.
eek.gif

Nov 21, 2003 at 4:41 AM Post #24 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by Ryan T
The loudest and lowest bass i've ever heard on any recording is the

drum roll please.....

the telarc recording of
Tchaikovsky
1812 overture

Gotta agree with Ryan T on this one being a great bass test.
600smile.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
i have beethoven's "wellington's victory" on vinyl. if you don't know, it is a potboiler with cavalry charges, with banks of real muskets and cannons going off on either side of the stage. the canon and musket shots were written into the music, and on the vinyl i have, as wellington chases off napoleon's army, they fire heavier and heavier charges out of the canon. the last few shots will rattle the neighbor's windows.

i can actually see in the lp's grooves where the canons go off at the end. the whole record cartridge twitches.
eek.gif

Yeah...the Telarc vinyl pressing of the 1812 overture is quite a sight also. The grooves where the cannons are firing are spaced so far apart you could drive a truck between them. And twitch you say? I've seen the 1812 cannon shots make the whole tonearm become airborne!
eek.gif
eek.gif

Nov 21, 2003 at 4:57 AM Post #25 of 58
Telrac's 1812 is really sum-tim, man (SACD version for me). I've never heard any bass notes that even come close in terms of weight and impact - this is with my Talon Khorus mains and a Talon Roc sub which are up to task. When guests ask, "how deep does that sub go?", that's what I put on every time. Ka-boom!!!

Nov 21, 2003 at 5:18 AM Post #26 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by General_K
Gotta agree with Ryan T on this one being a great bass test.
600smile.gif

Yeah...the Telarc vinyl pressing of the 1812 overture is quite a sight also. The grooves where the cannons are firing are spaced so far apart you could drive a truck between them. And twitch you say? I've seen the 1812 cannon shots make the whole tonearm become airborne!
eek.gif
eek.gif

yes, i was searching around for that lp. i wanted to take a macro photo of those wide grooves. i've never seen anything like it before or after.

you might want to consider adjusting that tonearm!
eek.gif
not having enough weight to keep the needle in the groove is a good way to ruin your vinyl. then again, playing those telarc canon shots is a good way to blow your speakers too (i think the lp comes with a warning).

Nov 22, 2003 at 5:39 AM Post #29 of 58
I'm no basshead, but i got bored and did a little run through of some of my music and came up with two hard-hitting songs that most of you would probably hate:

Ludacris - Saturday

Run DMC - Bounce

Nov 22, 2003 at 5:50 AM Post #30 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by Ryan T
yup theres a warning on all the telarc 1812's

It's funny its a yellow circle with a cannon in it and it says CAUTION DIGITAL CANNONS see page 6

Digital cannons? Couldn't they just fire blank howizters?
biggrin.gif
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back