For all ya bassheads out there: What song tests your headphones to the limit?
Nov 26, 2003 at 5:20 AM Post #49 of 58
Ah, yes KMFDM does rule....

TCC, I gotta check those tunes out..... im quite the techno junkie myself..... thx
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2003 at 8:39 AM Post #50 of 58
Techmaster P.E.B.'s album "Bass Computer" is chock full of tracks with great bass, especially the aptly-named "Bassgasm." Besides, any Miami DJ who samples Kraftwerk is fine by me.

The Spacetime Continuum remix of Nine Inch Nails' "The Perfect Drug" on Halo 11 has some impressive synth bass starting at around 3:32.

For jazz lovers, anything by Flim & The BB's is a fun listen, but my favorite is still "Lunch Hour Wedding March," found on "Tricycle."

Along with cannons, pipe organs are another excellent way to produce prodigious amounts of bass. Check out a good recording of Mussorgsky's "Pictures At an Exhibition" to hear what I mean.

Dec 5, 2003 at 4:56 PM Post #52 of 58
I'm no basshead either but in addition to the standard 1812 gig, here's a couple more:

Me'Shell N. (can't say it let alone spell it) "Peace Beyond Passion"

Harry Conick Jr. "She"

BASSSSSSSSS!
eek.gif

Dec 6, 2003 at 12:00 AM Post #53 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by gbeard
Me'Shell N. (can't say it let alone spell it) "Peace Beyond Passion"

ndegeocello. reknowned bass player, did that song "Wild Night" with John (Cougar) Mellencamp.

[size=xx-small]Alright, I admit it. I couldn't spell it neither. I looked it up on Google.[/size]

Dec 6, 2003 at 2:33 AM Post #54 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by Ryan T
The loudest and lowest bass i've ever heard on any recording is the

drum roll please.....

the telarc recording of
Tchaikovsky
1812 overture

telarc makes near perfect copys of the music and uses no limiters or sound EQ's in there recordings. In the 1812 overture they recorded 16 shots from actual 19th century cannons!! The album book says the intital blast is in the 2000 hz to 3000 hz range and the fallowing boom goes down to 6 HZ! It is very very loud and probably the cleanest bass. While playing it through my main speaker system I accidentally poped about six dry wall screws out of the wall next to the sub. It was really really loud needless to say. Give it a try you won't be disappointed.

Ryan

Where can I get that recording? My dad said he had an LP as a kid that had actual cannon shots recorded and they used real church bells to do the chimes part at the end! He said it was an unbelievable recording, and the flip-side of the LP was a commentary on how they recorded the church bell sounds for the recording! Is this the one?

I did get a couple versions of the 1812 overture. Two had cannons in them, but one of them had to be thrown out because the cannon was hitting the limits of the MP3's bitrate (128...YUCK). The other one has a nice, deep cannon, but it's nowhere near 6 hz (although pretty low, but the MP3 is definitely limiting it, plus there's still a tiny bit of distortion).

I'd really love that recording, it's an amazing overture. My friend copied me a CD "Tchaikovsky's greatest hits" or something like that. The recording was good, no doubt, but not nearly as good as the cannon one, in fact, it didn't have cannons at all!

edit: my .02 to contribute to this is, in addition to the THX bass test, is some Michael Jackson. "Ghosts" has some mad low bass. Listen in the beginning when the high beat is going on. On my KSC-50's, it sounds like a bit of hesitation, and then a low note. On my friend's stereo (he has a pair of massive 12" woofers) it's an unbelievably low BUM bum-bum (the first bum is extremely low). Also, "Thriller" has a real nice bass beat to it I've always loved, making it my fav. Just check out any MJ stuff, it's all good, gotta love those bass beats.

Dec 6, 2003 at 3:45 AM Post #55 of 58
Clann Zu - All the people now
Anything by Bassorcist
Nappy Roots - Nappy Roots Day
Thievery Corporation - The Karminsky Experience / Coming from the Top (Coming from the Top is the name of the song, The Karminsky Experience is the name of the original artist, TC just did a remix of it for their DJ Kicks album)
Tonic - Irish
Suba - Felicidade (Juryman Remix)
Crystal Method - Acetone

Acetone definitely has to be my favorite bassy song, I'm not even sure why. That whole Legion of Boom CD is good, I'll get it when it comes out.

Oh, and this is my first post here. Hi.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 6, 2003 at 4:31 AM Post #56 of 58
Chemical Brothers, anyone?
wink.gif

lini

Dec 6, 2003 at 7:53 PM Post #57 of 58
Underworld, "Little Speaker" (ironically enough)

The Power Station: Some Like It Hot

kampfy, welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet. [mandatory local custom].

Also, I have all three Crystal Method CDs but "Acetone" dosen't appear on any of them--where's it from?

Dec 8, 2003 at 10:19 PM Post #58 of 58

Users who are viewing this thread

Back