For all ya bassheads out there: What song tests your headphones to the limit?
Nov 22, 2003 at 6:12 AM Post #31 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by Ryan T
yup theres a warning on all the telarc 1812's

It's funny its a yellow circle with a cannon in it and it says CAUTION DIGITAL CANNONS see page 6

Analog Cannons are SO much better!
tongue.gif

Nov 22, 2003 at 9:28 AM Post #33 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by ReD sKyE
Cool, people actually answered.
smily_headphones1.gif

Guess I have some catchin up to do....
Nice list, ppl.

Another on mine is Prodigy's Smack My Bitch Up.

Deep ass drum line.

smily_headphones1.gif

Yepp, definitely Prodigy

Nov 22, 2003 at 11:13 PM Post #35 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by ph0rk
5 letters:

K M F D M

I haven't ever heard a pair of phones (or many loudspeakers) that could stand the test of megalomaniac. KMFDM rules...

R

Nov 22, 2003 at 11:24 PM Post #36 of 58
Deepsky - "View From A Stairway" >>> This fantastic song goes all over the map... Tight, deep electronic bass, subtle acoustic strings, and an endless barrage of effects that'll really bring your headphones to their limit.

E.S. Posthums - 'Nara" >>> Beautiful, deep drums & flutes.

Fluke - "Zion" >>> From The Matrix Reloaded (the dance/rave scene). Tribal drums added to Fluke's amazing perfection of big/break beat electronica.

L.T.J Bukem - "Viewpoint" >>> Slick, jazzy, classy drum & bass.

Way Out West - Both "Stealth" and "Sharkhunt" >>> Both tracks have some low-end stuff that brings speakers to their knees.

I listen to a lot of electonica (as you probably guessed looking at the tracks above), so I mostly use that; honestly, the only thing better for destroying sound systems is classical, but I haven't developed an ear for it yet (I like Hans Zimmer, though).

Nov 23, 2003 at 1:30 AM Post #37 of 58
After the comments about the bass on Prodigy recordings, I listened to several and the bass on Funky **** goes REALLY LOW...perhaps even lower than the other suggestions. Anyway, all of Prodigy's stuff has great bass.

Nov 23, 2003 at 2:11 AM Post #38 of 58
BASS = DJ Magic Mike
Too Short

Serious bass with magic mike. Drop The Bass Speaker Terror Upper Dropt The Bass II Most of his music has deep resonant bass with serious bass undertones.

Nov 23, 2003 at 4:31 PM Post #39 of 58
There could be 2 aspects in term of "testing bass". One is to test how low or deep it can go, the other is how loud it can present.

Because most of the techno or hiphop tunes are recorded with extreme bass, but frequency doesn't go too low (bass peak at 40-60Hz). For example: Prodigy's Smack My Bitch Up - peak level of bass is more than 20 times higher than mid range(1000-1500Hz), where Bon Jovi's Livin' On A Prayer has bass peak level only 2 to 3 times higher than mids.

Probably classical music is better material to test how low it goes and techno can be used to test how hard it can take.

I'm using my one of favorate tunes by japanese guitarist Char (absolutely not to be confused with Cher) for tests because for some reasons but the biggest reason is that I like the song.
wink.gif

Nov 23, 2003 at 5:06 PM Post #40 of 58
What about a Japanese drum (taiko) group such as Kodo. These recordings demand to be played loudly, and they can really help work out a systems bass. (But for me, all of these examples show up the limitations of headphones compared to room shaking powerful subs).

Nov 25, 2003 at 5:50 AM Post #41 of 58
I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

"Sabrina", by Einsturzende Neubauten. I've listened to this on enough different systems, and I've heard these guys live. I'm pretty sure I know what it's supposed to sound like by now.

Nov 25, 2003 at 12:44 PM Post #43 of 58
Dadawa - "Sister Drum"

The title track has some amazing drums that come in during the chorus but the whole album has some really great tracks for bass testing as well as other things.

Nov 25, 2003 at 7:14 PM Post #45 of 58
Okay, so maybe this is a weird one too, but I've always enjoyed Christina Aguilera's song "Infatuation" from her Stripped album. Particularly somewhere around 1:20-1:25 and 1:40-1:45 the bass notes go really low. I know my system is not that impressive, and I'm still trying to find something that can reproduce those low notes in all their glory. Sigh. It gives me shivers.
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back