For 6BL7 tube users
Apr 26, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #76 of 608

Here is the pic.

Can those adapters be set so the tubes are in line? So when looking directly at the amp one tube is in front and the other is tucked in behind. Or does the adapter hit the transformer?

I'll be trying this next looks cool the 6bl7's are very nice sounding..

Apr 26, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #77 of 608
Guys, here is the fixed adapter that you can use two 6BL7 per channel....I do not own this adapter, but i think you can rotate it a little by loosening the middle screw, like what has already been mentioned. You may be able to use two 6080 tubes in this adapter , if your amp can handle it, but I will not swear to it as I am not sure if they will fit.....gibosi will probably know, as he owns this adapter.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Dual-Gold-plated-6BL7-TO-6AS7-tube-converter-adapter-Fixed-octal-version-/191850787735?hash=item2cab32b397:g:LfcAAOSwiYFXFE3J

Here is the adapter to run three 6BL7 per channel, it is not fixed....it can be rotated, but not a huge amount, it also has a screw in the middle of the adapter, but I ruined one adapter for dual EL3N tubes, that was made identical to these adapters, messing with the screw, damn small screw and very tight.
You can also use two 6AS7G or two 6080 tubes per channel with this adapter if your amp can handle it.....if you are only going to use two 6BL7 per channel, I am thinking the fixed adapter is the better option.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Gold-plated-tube-converter-adapter-for-3-6BL7-instead-6AS7-6080-/201533519050?var=&hash=item2eec5574ca:m:m7QIJQoBJj_pyPJbIpmgyQg

Hope this helps with some of the adapter questions.

Apr 26, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #78 of 608
Both are fixed. You cannot rotate them.

Guys, here is the fixed adapter that you can use two 6BL7 per channel....I do not own this adapter, but i think you can rotate it a little by loosening the middle screw, like what has already been mentioned. You may be able to use two 6080 tubes in this adapter , if your amp can handle it, but I will not swear to it as I am not sure if they will fit.....gibosi will probably know, as he owns this adapter.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Dual-Gold-plated-6BL7-TO-6AS7-tube-converter-adapter-Fixed-octal-version-/191850787735?hash=item2cab32b397:g:LfcAAOSwiYFXFE3J

Here is the adapter to run three 6BL7 per channel, it is not fixed....it can be rotated, but not a huge amount, it also has a screw in the middle of the adapter, but I ruined one adapter for dual EL3N tubes, that was made identical to these adapters, messing with the screw, damn small screw and very tight.
You can also use two 6AS7G or two 6080 tubes per channel with this adapter if your amp can handle it.....if you are only going to use two 6BL7 per channel, I am thinking the fixed adapter is the better option.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Gold-plated-tube-converter-adapter-for-3-6BL7-instead-6AS7-6080-/201533519050?var=&hash=item2eec5574ca:m:m7QIJQoBJj_pyPJbIpmgyQg

Apr 26, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #80 of 608
Both are fixed. You cannot rotate them.

My bad, I linked the wrong one...i guess they make the three tube adapter both ways.....The one i have rotates a few degrees without messing with the screw....but you got to be careful, not to rotate it too far.

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #81 of 608

Here is the pic.

Can those adapters be set so the tubes are in line? So when looking directly at the amp one tube is in front and the other is tucked in behind. Or does the adapter hit the transformer?

It's tight but it will work (barely)

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #82 of 608
It's tight but it will work (barely)

Thanks for reporting.
gs1000.gif

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #83 of 608
Hi Badas,

First, congrats on starting a 6BL7 thread. I have very good experiences with the great sound that these tubes produce. Using my Elise amp, I found that four 6BL7 as power tubes sounded much better than my Chatham 6AS7G and Mullard 6080.

I find it very curious that there is such a resistance from some people to even consider that these inexpensive tubes could outperform the 6AS7 family. There are a few of us that have come to the conclusion that the BL tubes are superior, but others feel that nothing beats the 6AS7 types, and some of these people have actually compared them. So I don't know if this is related to equipment or personal taste.

Be it as may, at the present time I get very sweet sound combining one pair of 6BL7 with a pair of 6N7 tubes. I am waiting for an adapter that accepts three 6BL7/channel - we'll see how it sounds.

Having three vs two BL power tubes is said to enhance clarity and drive.

Re the question how long they last I can't give any specific answer. The 6BL7 tubes I have came from the eBay bargain bins, and some may be new, some not. One or two caused too much hum when used in pairs (but not so when used singly). My guess is that they should last at least 5000 hours, which seems to be the norm for octal tubes. 

Regarding the RCA side getter tubes I agree that they don't look so nice; however, I always thought that the purpose of the side getter was to have a smaller and more compact tube. As a rule, as time progressed, the tubes became smaller and smaller.

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #84 of 608
  Hi Badas,

First, congrats on starting a 6BL7 thread. I have very good experiences with the great sound that these tubes produce. Using my Elise amp, I found that four 6BL7 as power tubes sounded much better than my Chatham 6AS7G and Mullard 6080.

I find it very curious that there is such a resistance from some people to even consider that these inexpensive tubes could outperform the 6AS7 family. There are a few of us that have come to the conclusion that the BL tubes are superior, but others feel that nothing beats the 6AS7 types, and some of these people have actually compared them. So I don't know if this is related to equipment or personal taste.

Be it as may, at the present time I get very sweet sound combining one pair of 6BL7 with a pair of 6N7 tubes. I am waiting for an adapter that accepts three 6BL7/channel - we'll see how it sounds.

Having more BL power tubes is said to enhance clarity and drive.

Thanks.

and yes I agree. BL has transformed and finished my amp. I've finally got no desire to change the sound of the amp at all.

It is my understanding that BL was actually designed as a audio tube where 6AS7G was not. My understanding is BL was designed to do nothing to the incoming sound/signal but to amplify with some gain. Correct me if I'm wrong.

To me it makes it ideal for our little tube amps. Far better suited than 6AS7G types.

I was shocked last week when I rolled in my favorite 6AS7G type tube (Mullard 6080). It sounded dead, lifeless and congested. I can't believe I was putting up with that crap and how much the amp has transformed.

I'm just using single to one 6080 circuit and I think I might just stay there. I'm happy right now and I love that the amp runs very cool. It's also running my two HP's with ease.

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #85 of 608
I too, am a 100% convinced 6BL7 convert. Bigger deeper tighter bass. Mids that are much clearer and "present".
A sense of space air, and succinct clarity, that is lacking via 6AS7.

I have absolutely no desire to return to the flabby loose sound of 6AS7.

My amp sounds vastly clarified and, enable a new appreciation for all my driver tubes, which all sound much better via 6BL7's.

Thanks to Mordy for hanging in there and getting folks to try the 6BL7's in amps that were not originally designed around this great sounding, inexpensive tube.

Hats off to you, Mordy!!

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #86 of 608
Thanks to Mordy for hanging in there and getting folks to try the 6BL7's in amps that were not originally designed around this great sounding, inexpensive tube.

Hats off to you, Mordy!!

Thanks so much Mordy.
gs1000.gif

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #87 of 608
When I asked Glenn what will be the best amp for my HD800 that he can build, he recommended an OTL amp with 6nos 6BL7. I trust him and he is currently building my amp. I am watching this thread with interest so I can learn more about these tubes.

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #88 of 608
I too, am a 100% convinced 6BL7 convert. Bigger deeper tighter bass. Mids that are much clearer and "present".
A sense of space air, and succinct clarity, that is lacking via 6AS7.

I have absolutely no desire to return to the flabby loose sound of 6AS7.

I have only had the 6BL7s for a short time. I am inclined to agree with what you said about them, but the sound from my CV2523 6as7gs is hardly flabby loose. I think they differ in style and flavor. Both sound great, dependent on the music sources. With my amp, 2X6BL7s still yield lower gain than one CV2523.

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #89 of 608
Here is an Elise adapted to use 6x 6BL7's in place of (2) 6AS7's..
The 6x 6BL7's run at 9 amps and have to be heated externally.

Lucky Glenn owners do not need to heat them externally, the rest of us do, if your going to use 3x 6BL7 per 1x 6AS7:

Apr 26, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #90 of 608
I have only had the 6BL7s for a short time. I am inclined to agree with what you said about them, but the sound from my CV2523 6as7gs is hardly flabby loose. I think they differ in style and flavor. Both sound great, dependent on the music sources. With my amp, 2X6BL7s still yield lower gain than one CV2523.

Right-o

I guess for me the added depth and articulation I hear in the bass made me say that.

I take it back, if I had never known 6BL7, I could have easily lived forever, with my 5998's.
But I do find a great preference in the multiple 6BL7's over any 6AS7 or variant.

As gibosi says, different gear, different ears...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back