For 6BL7 tube users
Apr 24, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #46 of 608
Great idea starting this thread, just got a pair of tung sol's wow i'm really enjoying the sound very pleased with finding such an excellent sounding tube for little $$, however these tube have a little too much gain for my 10 3's (powered speakers) seem to always go back to my mullards for them..Again great thread Enjoy

Apr 24, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #47 of 608
Yeah even with 2 per side mine was normally cold to the touch even after 6-8!hrs

My volume control would get warm from heat. You would notice it as you changed volume. Now I touch it and it is cold metal. Whole WA22 body is cold except the back of the transformers. I often check the grate under the WA22 as well. As my Vega DAC is under it. Nothing. No heat at all. :)

Apr 24, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #48 of 608
Cool. Should be the same adapter as I was using on we274A and should work in my wa22 no issues.

I doubt that that adapter will work....

For one, the adapter needs to incorporate power resistors to reduce the supplied voltage from 5 volts to 4. Otherwise, the rectifier will likely burn-out rather quickly.

And also, I believe that there is more than one 4-pin base. To use the 45-IU you need a European B4 socket. While I certainly don't know for sure, I suspect that the WE274 is using an American 4-pin base, and not the European B4...

These adapters have the necessary power resistors and the proper B4 socket:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281951474535

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261772342579  

Apr 24, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #49 of 608

For one, the adapter needs to incorporate power resistors to reduce the supplied voltage from 5 volts to 4. Otherwise, the rectifier will likely burn-out rather quickly.

And also, I believe that there is more than one 4-pin base. To use the 45-IU you need a European B4 socket. While I certainly don't know for sure, I suspect that the WE274 is using an American 4-pin base, and not the European B4...

Thanks cool. I ordered the single one anyways. So I'm good.
:thumbsup:

Apr 24, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #50 of 608

Can I see picks of your u18 and the one that's like the u52?

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #51 of 608
Can I see picks of your u18 and the one that's like the u52?

From the left, all with B4 bases....

Mullard FW4/500, which is a 4-volt Mullard 5U4G

Cossor 45-IU, which is a 4-volt Cossor 53KU

And GEC/MOV U18/20, which is a 4-volt GEC/MOV U52

Edit: More pics:

Detail of the FW4/500 above the top mica:

Detail of the U18/20 above the top mica:

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #53 of 608

From the left, all with B4 bases....

Mullard FW4/500, which is a 4-volt Mullard 5U4G

Cossor 45-IU, which is a 4-volt Cossor 53KU

And GEC/MOV U18/20, which is a 4-volt GEC/MOV U52

Edit: More pics:

Detail of the FW4/500 above the top mica:

Detail of the U18/20 above the top mica:

Thanks want to find the cv31 but pricy that I've seen.

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #54 of 608
Thanks want to find the cv31 but pricy that I've seen.

Unfortunately, the Glenn OTL requires a rectifier that can provide at least 250 ma. As the CV31/U20/FW4-800 puts out only 125 ma, I can't even consider it. I believe that there are a number of other 4-volt/B4 base rectifiers out there as well, but again, they are too wimpy for the Glenn....  :frowning2:

Apr 24, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #55 of 608

I've been testing the 6BL7 on bass today.

:eek: Wow it has stacks. Plenty, deep and clean. Certainly no complaints from me.
WA22 often gets accused of not having much bass. Obviously it is the tubes that are installed. Think the WA22 is lacking just throw these in.

I am using flat plates today. Next session I will test X plates for bass.
Has anyone else done extensive testing between the sound differences between the plates?

Apr 25, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #56 of 608

I've been testing the 6BL7 on bass today.

eek.gif
Wow it has stacks. Plenty, deep and clean. Certainly no complaints from me.
WA22 often gets accused of not having much bass. Obviously it is the tubes that are installed. Think the WA22 is lacking just throw these in.

I am using flat plates today. Next session I will test X plates for bass.
Has anyone else done extensive testing between the sound differences between the plates?

I have done no testing between the different plates what so ever...I just want to comment on your findings.

I totally understand what you are saying about the bass, for me, this is the strong point of the 6BL7, I have not tried just one 6BL7 yet...but it sounds like the bass is still wonderful 
smile.gif

I just wanted to say that so many times amps, and headphones get such a bad rap for something, that really is not warranted.

I have never heard a WA22, but almost bought one...it is good to know that it can deliver bass very well, with the right tubes and phones and dac....ect.

I hear many people say the HD800 is lacking in bass and that it is very bright.....both can be true.....but it does not have to sound that way.

I do not think people are lying when they say what they say...they just say what they hear...but it can give gear a bad rap that is not warranted.

It is one of the reasons that I hesitate to say how I find a tube sounds, because it is all related to different ears and gears, and music....ect.

I have recently been listening to some semi-vintage Grado RS1 headphones with Glenn's amp....most people would say, why bother, not a good match, Grado's also get the , they are too bright rap.

Heck, I have been listening to them on my gear and with the right tubes...they have a nice warm tone to the top end....I love the sound.

I think I do hear the bass of the 6BL7 , just as you do, and I look forward to your impressions of the flat plats vs the X plates.

Sounds like you will be enjoying your music  much more with your newly founded bass
smile.gif

Apr 25, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #57 of 608
2 matching NOS quads of 6BL7's coming my way soon. I'll report back. Also bought the adapters to be able to run 2 pairs on the WA22. Finding matching quads of these tubes is getting harder...

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #58 of 608
2 matching NOS quads of 6BL7's coming my way soon. I'll report back. Also bought the adapters to be able to run 2 pairs on the WA22. Finding matching quads of these tubes is getting harder...

Audiotubes.com
Jessee Will hook you up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back