For 6BL7 tube users
Apr 27, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #106 of 608

You should try a 2XEL3N to 6SN7 adapter and try it for your outputs on your WA22.
May beat the 6BL7

Wouldn't you use the 2 * EL3N with an adapter for driver tubes, AND the 6BL7's for power tubes with a WA22? I might try this combo.

Apr 27, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #108 of 608

You should try a 2XEL3N to 6SN7 adapter and try it for your outputs on your WA22.
May beat the 6BL7

Geez. Don't tempt me.
I need to stop. I'm getting the looks from the wife now. Maybe is 6 months time.

Apr 27, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #109 of 608

May beat the 6BL7

Geez. Don't tempt me.
I need to stop. I'm getting the looks from the wife now. Maybe is 6 months time.

You know you want too 
tongue.gif

Sorry, I could not resist.

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #111 of 608
Wow! You had a previous Glenn, and this is your second custom made amp? That even better! Wonderful...!

No I did not have one but heard @Punit OTL amp. I heard from Glenn that my amp will be ready this weekend so I am very excited.

Apr 28, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #112 of 608
Just got my 6 x 6BL7 adapter for my Elise amp. First experiment is 2 EL3N as drivers + 4 x 6BL7 and 2 x 6N7. Previously I got very good results with 6BL7 + 6N7. The 6N7 is an all metal tube from the 6N7G/6N7GT family.

First impression: More of everything, more authority and that old cliche - ruthlessly revealing:

IMG_0724.JPG

Cannot think of any power tubes that give you bigger bang for the dollar..... Been listening for an hour now - gets better and better.

As time goes on I will try different combinations. Some tubes work in synergy; others in allergy of whatever it is called lol...... Don't know of any way to figure it out - just trial and error. (Strangely enough the related 6N7G  (too much hum) and 6N7GT(didn't sound good) with the 6BL7 did not sound as good as the neglected top hat 6N7 - seems that nobody wants tubes without glass&glow, so these tubes are easily found in the bargain bins).

Looked up the opposite of synergy - there is no accepted word: dysergy, antergy. I think allergy is good enough lol. Negative synergy is maybe the closest.

PS: If anybody is interested in how to power this or similar adapters externally without breaking the bank, I could write it up.

Apr 28, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #113 of 608
  Just got my 6 x 6BL7 adapter for my Elise amp. First experiment is 2 EL3N as drivers + 4 x 6BL7 and 2 x 6N7. Previously I got very good results with 6BL7 + 6N7. The 6N7 is an all metal tube from the 6N7G/6N7GT family.

First impression: More of everything, more authority and that old cliche - ruthlessly revealing:

IMG_0724.JPG

Cannot think of any power tubes that give you bigger bang for the dollar..... Been listening for an hour now - gets better and better.

As time goes on I will try different combinations. Some tubes work in synergy; others in allergy of whatever it is called lol...... Don't know of any way to figure it out - just trial and error. (Strangely enough the related 6N7G  (too much hum) and 6N7GT(didn't sound good) with the 6BL7 did not sound as good as the neglected top hat 6N7 - seems that nobody wants tubes without glass&glow, so these tubes are easily found in the bargain bins).

Looked up the opposite of synergy - there is no accepted word: dysergy, antergy. I think allergy is good enough lol. Negative synergy is maybe the closest.

PS: If anybody is interested in how to power this or similar adapters externally without breaking the bank, I could write it up.

Here is a 6.3 volt transformer

http://www.alliedelec.com/triad-magnetics-f-22a/70218458/

May 1, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #115 of 608
Hi attmci,

You are 100% right - for some reason it seems to me that the 6BL7 is more rebranded than other tubes I have come across in relation to the major brands. I have Tung Sol 6BL7 that are labeled Tung Sol but have the tell tale GE sandblasted dots on the glass.

I am wondering if there were any other US manufacturers of the 6BL7 except for Sylvania, RCA and GE.

May 1, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #117 of 608
There is a possibility that TS made that tube; perhaps later on when larger orders came in for TVs, they went to competing factories and asked them to fulfill the orders and re-branded the tubes. I remember reading that there was a lot of shifting production around between different manufacturers.

But I am just guessing.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back