For 6BL7 tube users
Apr 26, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #91 of 608
Here is an Elise adapted to use 6x 6BL7's in place of (2) 6AS7's..
The 6x 6BL7's run at 9 amps and have to be heated externally.

Lucky Glenn owners do not need to heat them externally, the rest of us do, if your going to use 3x 6BL7 per 1x 6AS7:

Damn sexy photos dude.
gs1000.gif

Apr 27, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #94 of 608
When I asked Glenn what will be the best amp for my HD800 that he can build, he recommended an OTL amp with 6nos 6BL7. I trust him and he is currently building my amp. I am watching this thread with interest so I can learn more about these tubes.

Congrats on Glenn making you a (6) 6BL7 OTL amp!

You will be so pleased!!

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #95 of 608
Congrats on Glenn making you a (6) 6BL7 OTL amp!

You will be so pleased!!

Thanks mate. I heard a previous version of Glenn's OTL and I liked it. I am expecting even better amp that Glenn is building now.

Apr 27, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #96 of 608

I don't mind the short base, not a fan of the coin base though.

I am thinking anything that is quiet, is going to sound very good. 
smile.gif

I've had a lot of problems with noisy tubes in my amp. Especially power tubes. So heartbreaking buying top power tubes to find they were noisy. I find that you really have to mix and match all tubes to get synergy.

One thing I have noticed is the 6BL7 made NU 6F8G and NU6C8G noisy. When I throw in a GE6AS7G they both go quiet. So synergy is important. I don't care about the NU's as I prefer the Tung-Sol version anyway and I have plenty f them.

6BL7 is a very quiet power tube tho.
smily_headphones1.gif

I received a pair of RCA 6BL7 flat plate with triple micas and rectangular getter i first tried them in the WA2 and unfortunately they were noisy i was kinda dissapointed so i took them out and tried them in the WA22 no noise at all perfect so like they say its not over until its over .here is the RCA 6BL7 and a few others                                                                                                                                     

I related earlier that a pair of 6BL7 relabled RCA were noisy in my WA2 so i had switched them into the WA22 and they were totally quiet.ran them for possibly 20 hours or so .I decided to try them again in the WA2 and this time they are totally quiet so i guess letting them cook for a bit helps 

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #97 of 608
  I related earlier that a pair of 6BL7 relabled RCA were noisy in my WA2 so i had switched them into the WA22 and they were totally quiet.ran them for possibly 20 hours or so .I decided to try them again in the WA2 and this time they are totally quiet so i guess letting them cook for a bit helps 

Was that 20 hours continuous or with some on and offs?

I get a little noise from time to time. Nothing much. I wonder with burn it will disappear.

Apr 27, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #98 of 608

Was that 20 hours continuous or with some on and offs?

I get a little noise from time to time. Nothing much. I wonder with burn it will disappear.

i posted 3-4 days ago so they got better within that period maybe even less than 20 hours 

Apr 27, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #99 of 608
The 6BL7's  with the  EL3N's as drivers and it is a wonderful combo.

Apr 27, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #101 of 608
Yeah, you were right, it sounds very good Glenn.

Yep, this should keep me toasty all next winter  
tongue.gif

I ordered some more  PY500, 6BL7, 6BX7.....need to grab a back up pair of EL3N also.

Apr 27, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #102 of 608
^

Looking nice.
gs1000.gif

Apr 27, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #103 of 608

I ordered some more  PY500, 6BL7, 6BX7.....need to grab a back up pair of EL3N also.

I already got another pair of EL3Ns
If I ever get time I would like to use the EL3N as outputs with a output transformer.
Supposedly the EL3N sounds like A #45 without the hassle of DC heating a direct heated triode.

Apr 27, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #105 of 608

I already got another pair of EL3Ns
If I ever get time I would like to use the EL3N as outputs with a output transformer.
Supposedly the EL3N sounds like A #45 without the hassle of DC heating a direct heated triode.

If you ever get that sorted, I would love to get a sneak peek of it.  
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back