For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Nov 2, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #6,166 of 9,562
Ok now I know TWO ways to fix it.:ksc75smile:

By the way I no longer refer to those tubes as GE.

I call them Winner, Winner @bcowen pays for steak and wine dinner! (I bought some in order to win a bet with some guy from North Carolina.)

They are priceless. :L3000:

ROFL!!! I will have to hand it to you for finding the one (out of a million) totally out-of-spec GE tubes that actually sounded not terrible not completely like ass. That's a significant accomplishment in and of itself. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Nov 2, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #6,167 of 9,562
Yes, the two digit number to the right of the flying C is the year of manufacture. And often, there will be a roman numeral number to the left of the flying C, indicating the month. And this dating scheme is common to most if not all Russian production.
Also, the 5c is the military version and the 13c is the consumer version (someone correct me if I'm backward). They're the same tube made to slightly different tolerances. They should be interchangeable, but I've seen posts that say one sounds better than the other. I've never heard the 5c version.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #6,168 of 9,562
ROFL!!! I will have to hand it to you for finding the one (out of a million) totally out-of-spec GE tubes that actually sounded not terrible not completely like ass. That's a significant accomplishment in and of itself. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
I bought so many GE's to try that I probably increased their rarity and overall price lol.

Good advice on the pin re-soldering by the way, I redid some of the older Winged C's I received and brought most back to life. After 50 years or thereabouts I know what happens with Russian solder and other old tubes might suffer from the same breakdown.

One Winged C had a short and I may zap that with a moderate amount of current to try to clear the short, a charged electrolytic can also do the trick and worst case scenario it was beyond using anyway. This is not something I would recommend unless you have a pretty good understanding of tube construction and electronics.

Also I will drop a couple hints about how I have repaired damaged keys on tube sockets in the past. Acetone and solder pot.

Nov 2, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #6,169 of 9,562
Have you tried resoldering the pins?

You're kidding, right? With my hand shake I can barely paint my baseboards without painting the walls. 😄

Nov 2, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #6,170 of 9,562
Chatham with Haltron / Svetlana face ?!

1604327789304.png

Nov 2, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #6,171 of 9,562
Also, the 5c is the military version and the 13c is the consumer version (someone correct me if I'm backward). They're the same tube made to slightly different tolerances. They should be interchangeable, but I've seen posts that say one sounds better than the other. I've never heard the 5c version.
I have not heard that about the military and consumer version but that could make sense since the majority of 6H5C's are older. I will have some 58 and 59 13C's in my possession soon.

Oh and I like your ID, if you enjoy chess watch Queen's Gambit on Netflix if you get a chance. Garry Kasparov was a technical advisor and some of the early games took place in venues where I have played tournaments. The author, Walter Tevis, also wrote The Hustler and The Color of Money.

Nov 2, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #6,172 of 9,562

1604327789304.png
I cannot make out the top shield well but from that point down it sure does resemble a Svetlana yet made in the USA is clearly stamped on it.

Nov 2, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #6,173 of 9,562
You're kidding, right? With my hand shake I can barely paint my baseboards without painting the walls. 😄

You should work on that. Covid will be over at some point and we'll be back to shaking hands again. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1604328582677.png

Nov 2, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #6,174 of 9,562
Low self-esteem? You must have me confused with someone else! 😄

Nov 2, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #6,175 of 9,562
I have not heard that about the military and consumer version but that could make sense since the majority of 6H5C's are older. I will have some 58 and 59 13C's in my possession soon.

Oh and I like your ID, if you enjoy chess watch Queen's Gambit on Netflix if you get a chance. Garry Kasparov was a technical advisor and some of the early games took place in venues where I have played tournaments. The author, Walter Tevis, also wrote The Hustler and The Color of Money.
I used to play a lot against my roommate in college, but really haven't played since then. My nephew and I will play sometimes, but he's much better than I am. I'm not sure if I used to be better when I played regularly or if I overestimated my skill. He can see several moves ahead and sets up traps while I'm usually just playing what I see on the board. I'll have to check out that show, though.

Nov 2, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #6,176 of 9,562
You should work on that. Covid will be over at some point and we'll be back to shaking hands again. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1604328582677.png
One of my young female employees has a term for it involving the word "limp" but I best not repeat it here.:zipper_mouth:

Nov 2, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #6,177 of 9,562
I used to play a lot against my roommate in college, but really haven't played since then. My nephew and I will play sometimes, but he's much better than I am. I'm not sure if I used to be better when I played regularly or if I overestimated my skill. He can see several moves ahead and sets up traps while I'm usually just playing what I see on the board. I'll have to check out that show, though.
I began playing about age 7 and played in many USCF tourneys. I also played a lot of cards in the US and Canada with a Russian card partner from Belarus who was wicked smart, she had a masters in math.

Sorry to drift off topic.

Anyway I will ask about the military vs consumer versions of those Russian tubes, they are pretty close in sound IMHO yet as I said earlier the Russians tend to seek out the 6H5C versions. I do own a military tube from 1955 but it has an extra shield at the bottom. All versions I own have an OTK stamp on them.

Nov 2, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #6,178 of 9,562

1604327789304.png

I cannot make out the top shield well but from that point down it sure does resemble a Svetlana yet made in the USA is clearly stamped on it.

Hmm, I haven't seen a Svetlana with copper grid supports. I'll have to pull out my Chathams to check, but that looks authentic to me from first glance. What is causing you guys to say it's Russian knock-off?

Nov 2, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #6,179 of 9,562
I spoke to a Russian friend and he stated anything higher end would have a rhombus, the 5c and 13c are not designators of military and consumer grade. I am just the messenger in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back