For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Apr 15, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #9,556 of 9,570
Apr 15, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #9,557 of 9,570
The seller's description states "TV-7 tested tube1-68.68,tube2-68.68".
What does it mean ? This is good ?
Good or bad
Good, the matching numbers indicate you will unlikely get any channel imbalance.
Bad, they match each other to the hundredths. This is unbelievable

Apr 15, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #9,558 of 9,570
Good or bad
Good, the matching numbers indicate you will unlikely get any channel imbalance.
Bad, they match each other to the hundredths. This is unbelievable
What other parameters are important? I'll ask the seller.

Apr 16, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #9,559 of 9,570
Just got a pair of 6as7ga GE tubes that I'm running through my amp and have been letting them burn-in for about an hour now. I started to listen to some music and everything was great for about 30 minutes. Then all of a sudden I got a pop noise in my right cup and swear I saw a little flash come from the tube out of the corner of my eye. It wasn't a loud pop, but it startled me a little. I turned the volume all the way down and unplugged my headphones, but nothing else happened.

I've been listening to music for the past 10 minutes and nothing abnormal has happened and both channels still sound the same. Is this fairly normal for new tubes or should I be concerned?

Apr 16, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #9,561 of 9,570
Just got a pair of 6as7ga GE tubes that I'm running through my amp and have been letting them burn-in for about an hour now. I started to listen to some music and everything was great for about 30 minutes. Then all of a sudden I got a pop noise in my right cup and swear I saw a little flash come from the tube out of the corner of my eye. It wasn't a loud pop, but it startled me a little. I turned the volume all the way down and unplugged my headphones, but nothing else happened.

I've been listening to music for the past 10 minutes and nothing abnormal has happened and both channels still sound the same. Is this fairly normal for new tubes or should I be concerned?
Hallmark of a bad (or dying) tube, unfortunately.

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:13 AM Post #9,563 of 9,570
I bought an A2293 adapter from Xuling a while ago and was going to try a pair of GEC CV4079 today, but inserting the tubes in the adapter is impossible. Anyone had this issue? I'm afraid if I use more force I'll break the pins.

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:31 AM Post #9,565 of 9,570
Can you provide a photo of the pins and of the adapter?

I managed to insert them eventually by rocking back and forth. It took a lot more force than expected. I accidentally slipped and bent a couple of pins on a tube, but bent them back and they seem to work just fine.

Apr 30, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #9,566 of 9,570
Oh well it didn't take more than 20 mins and the tube died. Made a loud pop in the left channel and the tube started flickering. Thankfully it didn't take my headphones with it.

Edit: The glass shattered due to excessive force needed to insert them and taking them out...

The tubes aren't expensive, but the sound was really awesome for the short period I could listen so I'm definitely willing to try again with a better adapter.

Attachments

• DSC_0309.jpg
    DSC_0309.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0310.jpg
    DSC_0310.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0311.jpg
    DSC_0311.jpg
    468.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #9,567 of 9,570
Oh well it didn't take more than 20 mins and the tube died. Made a loud pop in the left channel and the tube started flickering. Thankfully it didn't take my headphones with it.

Edit: The glass shattered due to excessive force needed to insert them and taking them out...

The tubes aren't expensive, but the sound was really awesome for the short period I could listen so I'm definitely willing to try again with a better adapter.

Sorry for your loss.

FWIW I've been using those adapters for years without issues, it is possible the issue was with the tube. Also, I always use a pin straightener with 9 pin tubes before putting them into anything (including the box).

Agree the sound is awesome, esp. for the money.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #9,568 of 9,570
Sorry for your loss.

FWIW I've been using those adapters for years without issues, it is possible the issue was with the tube. Also, I always use a pin straightener with 9 pin tubes before putting them into anything (including the box).

Agree the sound is awesome, esp. for the money.

Yeah it's very possible it was just the tube that failed. It's not unheard of that NOS tubes fail. The sockets are extremely tight, and to clarify the glass shattering happened while attempting to remove the dead tube. "Only" 2 pins got bent quite a bit but I managed to straighten them up enough. This could also have damaged the tube in some way. A pin straightener is a good idea. Thanks!

Moments before the tube to the right failed:

Attachments

• DSC_0307 (1).jpg
    DSC_0307 (1).jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 0
Apr 30, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #9,569 of 9,570
I have 4 of those adapters from Xuling and although a bit stiff I never had to use excessive force to get them into the socket. Maybe the socket is defective? How about the other tube, was that also a pain to insert? I have used these extensively in the past and they are known as baby 5998/6AS7Gs for their sound. I hope you try again.

Apr 30, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #9,570 of 9,570
I have 4 of those adapters from Xuling and although a bit stiff I never had to use excessive force to get them into the socket. Maybe the socket is defective? How about the other tube, was that also a pain to insert? I have used these extensively in the past and they are known as baby 5998/6AS7Gs for their sound. I hope you try again.

Yeah I tried both sockets with both tubes, equally stiff. There's no way I can get the other tube out without breaking it without tools. It's super stiff. The pins on both tubes were in perfect condition too, so something is up with the sockets I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back