For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Feb 8, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #4,294 of 9,576
Cheaper? That's not saying much... lol :)

In my experience, there is no such thing as a Holy Grail Super Tube that sounds best in every system. The 5998 comes quite close to the 421A. So if you really love that sound, the 421A might be worth chasing after. But very frankly, depending the the rest of the system -- driver, rectifier, headphones, etc. -- some of the other options may actually have better synergy.

Feb 23, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #4,301 of 9,576
NONONONO.jpg

Many websites recommend to use this method to spot micro-phonic tubes. However, this may permanently damage your tube.

NONONO.jpg

This is not a good practice to check tubes either. Sometimes, you may see a few small pieces of loose glass or insulating spacer inside of the tube, but this does not effect the performance.

Feb 23, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #4,302 of 9,576

Many websites recommend to use this method to spot micro-phonic tubes. However, this may permanently damage your tube.

This is not a good practice to check tubes either. Sometimes, you may see a few small pieces of loose glass or insulating spacer inside of the tube, but this does not effect the performance.
I use to wear rubber gloves handling these tubes then some dude hands me a box filled with tubes all laying on top of each other to go through ... I guess they are bomb proof!

Feb 23, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #4,303 of 9,576
I use to wear rubber gloves handling these tubes then some dude hands me a box filled with tubes all laying on top of each other to go through ... I guess they are bomb proof!
The tubes are more fragile when they are heated.

I believe everyone can easily spot a micro-phonic tube unless you use a dozen same type of tubes in your amp/dac. :) Then the trick is swap a suspect tube to the same position in the other channel if possible.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #4,305 of 9,576
Re the Svetlana 6AS7 equivalent, does anybody know if there is a difference between 6N5S and 6N13S/6N13P/6H13C, if any?
Has anybody compared the 6N5S to the others?
According to gibosi, the 6N5S is a military version of the 6N13S, but the specs differ a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back