For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Feb 4, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #4,276 of 9,589
Just got my 6080WC tube and am wondering about the white cap on it, from photos on the net I see mostly chrome topped tubes but this one is all white, should I be concerned? letting it warm up good before my sit down session. Weird thing is this thing seems like it's not even warming up, is that normal too for 6080 tubes, they run cooler than 6AS7G tubes?
You mean the getter stuff turned white? Please post a picture. It could be a leaking tube.

Feb 4, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #4,277 of 9,589
You mean the getter stuff turned white? Please post a picture. It could be a leaking tube.
The very top, that shiny coat that's suppose to be chrome. Its all white powder on my tube, anyway, it doesnt work, the guy suckered me, his pics show chrome top tubes but he sent me a powder white top tube, I'm at work now so maybe after work I'll post the dead tube.
Edited: So the vendor is gonna send me a replacement. So that makes me look like an ass I guess for maybe overreacting. Still not sure I want the replacement seeing how they're so fragile.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #4,278 of 9,589
The very top, that shiny coat that's suppose to be chrome. Its all white powder on my tube, anyway, it doesnt work, the guy suckered me, his pics show chrome top tubes but he sent me a powder white top tube, I'm at work now so maybe after work I'll post the dead tube.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/223355999334
This is DOA. You should contact the seller (attach a picture of the tube). This brand is "famous" for suddenly lost vacuum.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #4,279 of 9,589
@JKDJedi I'm betting the glass is cracked, probably upon transit. When the glass cracks, the tube loses its vacuum and turns white. Don't ask me how I know this, as it rekindles a painful memory.

About the only thing you can do at this point is make a Christmas tree ornament out of it.

Feb 4, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #4,280 of 9,589
@JKDJedi I'm betting the glass is cracked, probably upon transit. When the glass cracks, the tube loses its vacuum and turns white. Don't ask me how I know this, as it rekindles a painful memory.

About the only thing you can do at this point is make a Christmas tree ornament out of it.
Edited: So turns out the seller is gonna send me another one, and really feeling like a total jerk right now, I edited my negetive posts about the guy and deleted the links to his EBay page. Rough weekend for me I guess.
0204191643.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #4,282 of 9,589
Edited: So turns out the seller is gonna send me another one, and really feeling like a total jerk right now, I edited my negetive posts about the guy and deleted the links to his EBay page. Rough weekend for me I guess.
The guy is OK. He has a lot of 1641 RK60. But he recently double the price of his tubes. LOL

I believe he has tons of the same 6080 tubes, and didn't bother to check the tube before he sent it to you.

Peace.

Feb 7, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #4,284 of 9,589
So the guy pulled through after all...there is good people on this earth folks! I did order the Mullard made Philips though..just in case.. Will there be a difference? The cheap American Philips tube vs the higher priced overseas Philips made tube. (England?)0207191209.jpg

Feb 7, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #4,285 of 9,589
Hi JKJD,
There will be a difference in sound but you have to decide what you like. There is another very important factor - synergy between different tubes.
A tube may sound very good together with a certain other tube, but another combination may not sound as good. The best source for what works well are other people that have the same amp as yourself and describe their findings.
Another factor that is often overlooked is that the same best sounding tube may not sound as good in a different amp, and conversely, a tube that does not have such a great name may shine in a different amp.
However, some tubes sound very good in many settings, and the Sylvania/Philips and Mullard 6080 are among those tubes.

Feb 7, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #4,286 of 9,589
Hi JKJD,
There will be a difference in sound but you have to decide what you like. There is another very important factor - synergy between different tubes.
A tube may sound very good together with a certain other tube, but another combination may not sound as good. The best source for what works well are other people that have the same amp as yourself and describe their findings.
Another factor that is often overlooked is that the same best sounding tube may not sound as good in a different amp, and conversely, a tube that does not have such a great name may shine in a different amp.
However, some tubes sound very good in many settings, and the Sylvania/Philips and Mullard 6080 are among those tubes.
Thanks, makes sense! I'll share those findings with the Darkvoice group. Seems like this group has a higher mindset when it comes to tubes, so forgive my eagerness to blend in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back