For 6AS7G tube rollers here .....
Aug 30, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #1,487 of 9,575

can they do a balanced tube amp? 

Hey, L...you want blood ?!...
wink.gif
...the quest is to come up with an amp that has a really good spec; better quality construction than your average Chinese unit, and at a reasonable price...it'll be a miracle if the feliks-audio guys can manage what has already been requested lol! More bells and whistles = more $$$, of course...catch 22
redface.gif

The Bottlehead S.E.X. can be run in both SE and Balance and it's a tube amp.

Ah yes, ilm2...but how much is the assembled S.E.X.?!

Cheaper than these "Little Dot MK VIII SE 12AT7 6H30PI Balanced Headphone Amplifier black".

Aug 30, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #1,488 of 9,575
Just got a 5998 from a stash, it has "45/53 mA" written over it..Could someone enlighten me on what it could mean? The tube looks and sounds good btw

Yes...it's the test result of a tester measured in plate current. I don't know what the standard in mA of a 5998 is but one thing those number mean is that the two sections are not that well matched.

Aug 30, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #1,489 of 9,575

Hi again, L.

Actually, I will ask them if they can run to at least a balanced output as well as SE, without incurring too much extra cost - another interested guy asked for a protection circuit in the pre-amp section for use of a DC coupled amp, and they will incorporate it in the prototype...so they are obviously interested in suggestions that are going to be feasible.

Quote:
  Cheaper than these "Little Dot MK VIII SE 12AT7 6H30PI Balanced Headphone Amplifier black".

Hopefully, the cost should be WAY below this LD! And the 6H30Pi just can't compare with a good 6AS7G or 6080 IMHO...

Aug 30, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #1,490 of 9,575

Hi again, L.

Actually, I will ask them if they can run to at least a balanced output as well as SE, without incurring too much extra cost - another interested guy asked for a protection circuit in the pre-amp section for use of a DC coupled amp, and they will incorporate it in the prototype...so they are obviously interested in suggestions that are going to be feasible.

Quote:

Hopefully, the cost should be WAY below this LD! And the 6H30Pi just can't compare with a good 6AS7G or 6080 IMHO...

I'am interested as long as the cost is reasonable and can be used in both SE and BALANCED Mode(user switchable).

Aug 30, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #1,493 of 9,575
Start a thread for those seriously interested...my credit card is maxxx out:D

Aug 31, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #1,494 of 9,575
Yes...it's the test result of a tester measured in plate current. I don't know what the standard in mA of a 5998 is but one thing those number mean is that the two sections are not that well matched.

Thank you Skylab..Thats a backup tube for my Crack.My main 5998 is a little microphonic, but I could live with that
The prices nowdays for such tubes are wack

Sep 1, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #1,495 of 9,575
Start a thread for those seriously interested...my credit card is maxxx out:D

Hi Lorspeaker....are you a mind-reader as well as a serious (if somewhat bankrupt!) hi-fi nut?

Well, I have in fact gone ahead and started a new thread : "Feliks-Audio...a 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype".

So for anyone interested in progress, I shall also be keeping this new thread updated as to progress...

BTW. They are considering balanced output as an optional upgrade, so they can (in all seriousness) try to pitch the base unit at BELOW £500!! This certainly would be some miracle
tongue_smile.gif
...let's just hope they can achieve the impossible, lol...

ps. Perhaps you'll need another credit card...just a little one?!

Sep 1, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #1,496 of 9,575
i read your mind?... u are almost begging to start a thread, it is inevitable...u are starting a polish revolution :p

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #1,497 of 9,575

kinda a waste of such good tubes though with that amp  
frown.gif

Hi again DG.

As my LD is suffering from an inferiority complex
frown.gif
, in case you didn't catch my recent posts I have (somehow!) managed to persuade the Feliks-Audio people in Poland to come up with an amp using 6SN7s and 6AS7G/6080s, hopefully at a VERY competitive price...have started a new thread, if you're interested : "Feliks-Audio...6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype".

ps. Those tubes worked miracles on the LD, but the poor thing really is having to work hard keeping up with them, hence my search for something designed for them - I want to see what these GECs can REALLY do, lol!

Sep 2, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #1,499 of 9,575

Hi again DG.

As my LD is suffering from an inferiority complex
frown.gif
, in case you didn't catch my recent posts I have (somehow!) managed to persuade the Feliks-Audio people in Poland to come up with an amp using 6SN7s and 6AS7G/6080s, hopefully at a VERY competitive price...have started a new thread, if you're interested : "Feliks-Audio...6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype".

ps. Those tubes worked miracles on the LD, but the poor thing really is having to work hard keeping up with them, hence my search for something designed for them - I want to see what these GECs can REALLY do, lol!

Hi  Hynos1,
can u take a few fotos of the GEC tube n post it here? (when u have the time)
i would like to take a look at the construction of the plates. getters etc...just to help me salivate. 

Sep 2, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #1,500 of 9,575
Here is a sold eBay listing with some nice pictures:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GEC-England-6AS7G-NOS-Pair-of-Tubes-Valves-Perfect-Test-Perfect-New-/251551554381?nma=true&si=1JP3sUUimpTS9CXtHJ13GlGDB4g%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Users who are viewing this thread

Back