Folks with portable amp rigs, what format do you use?
May 18, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #16 of 32
raffy, I use iTunes to manage my music in the computer. When I use the my larger iPod I load it with Apple Lossless. However with the 4gB Nano I use either 192 Kbs VBR set at highest. This allows me to carry about 50 cd's in the Nano. Good luck.

May 18, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandbag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ALAC, 256 and 320.

The 256 files were purchased online.

Where do you purchase 256 kbps files online?

May 18, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #18 of 32
Lossless is LOSSLESS. ALAC and FLAC are the same quality. Now the rip may be better if you are using different software. However, I have found iTunes to be satisfactory.

For my portable, I cannot hear the difference between 256VBR and Lossless. I can definitely use the space with a 32GB player.

May 18, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #19 of 32
Apple lossless, because of the convenience of iTunes error-checking ripping on the Mac (well, it' not _that_ convenient, but that's another thread), on an iPod and a rockboxed iRiver iHP120 (working on a portable optical DAC solution for the latter).

May 18, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #20 of 32
ALAC (on my iPhone & iMod) & FLAC (on my iRiver H140)

May 18, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #22 of 32
All Amazon MP3's are 256kb, and excellent SQ IMHO. Equal or cheaper than iTunes on everything, much more limited selection however. But it's a dream with 1-click ordering ... I buy a lot.

This is just for pop that is not critical listening. For serious stuff I agree with everyone here that it has to be lossless, and I use EAC to make WAVs. (My wife thinks it's hysterical when I say "I'm going to make WAVs").

No compression there, but although "lossless is lossless", as Orcin says, I worry about the player's firmware which has to decompress, decode and D-A-C in realtime ... if the firmware programmer took shortcuts (I'm sure Apple is perfect, but with the others who knows, so many firmware revisions on some of them) maybe little glitches creep into the bitstream from one of the compressed-but-lossless formats?

I'm probably being paranoid, and I bet I get flamed, but I'm sticking with WAVs on my non-iPods that support it.

May 19, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #23 of 32
Hey, i'am pretty much as noob as one can get just to let ya know. where can i get lossless files? I've heard of flac but dont understand...do i load my files onto flac and convert them to a higher bitrate? I;am downloading files off of limewire in mp3 format or itunes in whatever format that is and putting them onto an iphone...i have etymotics HF2's also with no amp....any info would be great

May 19, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #24 of 32
Non-proprietary lossless FLAC. And, however small it may be, there certainly is difference between lossless vs compressed.

May 19, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #25 of 32
FLAC preferably, alongside OGG Q8-10
-both ripped via dBpoweramp.

May 19, 2008 at 11:04 AM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
raffy, I use iTunes to manage my music in the computer. When I use the my larger iPod I load it with Apple Lossless. However with the 4gB Nano I use either 192 Kbs VBR set at highest. This allows me to carry about 50 cd's in the Nano. Good luck.

Miguel, how do you do this? I was under the impression that if you ripped to lossless in your system, that's what it would load to your iPod, period. I'd love to be able to do this because all of my files are lossless for home listening, and it only allows me to keep a few albums on my Nano at a time. Not a big deal, I just refresh when I get tired of them, but at the gym, or doing yardwork, with my Etys plugged directly into the Nano, I'm pretty sure I'm not really hearing the quality upgrade.

Tim

May 19, 2008 at 11:06 AM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycrob515 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, i'am pretty much as noob as one can get just to let ya know. where can i get lossless files? I've heard of flac but dont understand...do i load my files onto flac and convert them to a higher bitrate? I;am downloading files off of limewire in mp3 format or itunes in whatever format that is and putting them onto an iphone...i have etymotics HF2's also with no amp....any info would be great

Most people are getting lossless by ripping cds to their hard drive as lossless files. There are some sites out there with lossless downloads, but I'm not familiar with them.

Tim

May 19, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by worldman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Non-proprietary lossless FLAC. And, however small it may be, there certainly is difference between lossless vs compressed.

Agreed. I also use FLAC (HP-140) and my lossy choice is ACTRAC 352kbps (due to my player - Sony NW-HD5).

May 19, 2008 at 12:14 PM Post #30 of 32
iPod users (or any other media player that doesn't support FLAC or Ogg Vorbis), you should check into Rockbox which is a replacement OS/firmware for the player. It supports FLAC and Ogg Vorbis natively and has a host of other cool features. Best of all, it let's you say good riddance to iTunes and organize your music files your own way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back