Folks with portable amp rigs, what format do you use?
May 18, 2008 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

raffy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

To everyone that uses a portable amp rig, what sound format do you use?

I just put together my 1st rig composed of: 4gb Nano, RSA Tomahawk, ALO
Cryo X Au/Ag LOD, UE Superfi 5.pro (temporary, to be replaced by FreqShows when they arrive). Everything sounds great (even my MP3 files though I feel like the 5pros are the "weak link" in my temporary setup) but I have recently ripped some of my CD tracks to WAV since I wanted the best possible SQ. WAV files sound better than my MP3s but occupy way too much space. I plan on getting a iMod but in the meantime, the Nano would have to suffice.

Question is, do you guys all use WAV/lossless with your rigs or do you still use MP3s in one form or another due to storage space limitations? Sorry about the somewhat stupid questions, I am relatively new to head-fi.

May 18, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #2 of 32
I don't have as elaborate of a setup as you do, but I mainly use Apple Lossless or 256 Kbps AAC VBR. It makes a difference no matter what headphone I have used.

May 18, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #5 of 32
When I use my rig with an amp, it's 3rd Gen Nano > stevenkelby LOD > Xin Supermini > ER-4P / UM2

I use a mixture of V0 mp3s and lossless ALAC files. That's just because most of my music is in that format though, and I'd prefer not to convert. On almost all music, high bitrate mp3s are totally transparent, especially in a portable rig. I just have lots of lossless files for archival purposes (and to a certain extent peace of mind). Certain music seems to not respond well to mp3 encoding and exhibits obvious artifacting, but otherwise you can't tell the difference. Using uncompressed wav files is just silly though.

As for your rig, the IEMs are definitely the "weak point" if there is one. I'd recommend selling them and your ludicrous LOD and getting some better earphones and a more sensible LOD. I'm even of the opinion that better IEMs sound better unamped that worse ones do amped. Do some serious A/B testing to see if the amp makes a significant enough difference to your ears to warrant lugging around, and if not, that $250 would pull its weight a lot better invested in earphones. I did that when I had SF5Ps and the difference was pretty small, certainly not worth the trouble. Even now I never use an amp when walking around, only when I'm sitting still somewhere and I want to squeeze the very last drop of excellence from my ER-4Ps.

The crazy LOD is definitely not necessary. *Maybe* if you have $1300 IEMs and a crazy amp and an iMod you could convince me that it makes a difference, but I have a cryo copper LOD and no rig I've ever had allowed me to discern a difference between it and my more generic one. That particular one is especially silly because of its size.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One more thing: Is there a noticeable difference between WAV and Apple Lossless? If not, I'm switching to Apple Lossles since it occupies less space.

No, there isn't. They contain identical information.

May 18, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #7 of 32
Lossless: FLAC
Compressed: Ogg Vorbis

Just say no to proprietary, patent-laden, encumbered formats. The above open formats also happen to sound better, too.

May 18, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FLAC. Avoiding ALAC after hearing significant differences between an EAC ripped FLAC with an iTunes ripped ALAC. Seems like iTunes filters "unwanted" sounds.

The ripping software is the problem there. My ALAC files are EAC ripped and sound identical to FLAC files.

May 18, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #10 of 32
i mostly use apple lossless with my ipod. i can hear some subtle differences between that and 320k, but it is not as noticeable between 320 and 128. but hey, the best thing is to just rip a couple songs you're familiar with and listen for yourself. it doesn't cost you anything.

May 18, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by raffy
One more thing: Is there a noticeable difference between WAV and Apple Lossless? If not, I'm switching to Apple Lossles since it occupies less space.

No, there isn't. They contain identical information.

They're identical as data containers, but there's a possibility that they can sounds different if ipod's internal decoder works better with apple lossless. Theoretically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back