Focal Utopia: the best DAC/ headphone amp...
Sep 28, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #16 of 41
have you tried the TT? I'm listening to some Diana Krall now with the Mojo on my Mac. what source are you using? quality of audio files?

Hi Bart....if you check my profile, you'll see that I did in fact own the TT. Great combo too, but that said, I do prefer the Hugo 2 and the DAVE is simply best I've heard the Utopias sound!

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #17 of 41
Compared with my Gungnir/Mjolnir 2 @ 2k the HugoTT @ 4k left me feeling... underwhelmed. See above.

Would love to hear other's comparison of the Hugo 2 v TT.

That's kinda how I felt about the Gungnir/MJ....I preferred the TT. As we say, YMMV.

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #18 of 41
Hi Bart....if you check my profile, you'll see that I did in fact own the TT. Great combo too, but that said, I do prefer the Hugo 2 and the DAVE is simply best I've heard the Utopias sound!

I'd be interested to hear your more detailed comparison/contrast of the Hugo TT, Hugo2 and Dave!

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #20 of 41
That's kinda how I felt about the Gungnir/MJ....I preferred the TT. As we say, YMMV.

Exactly. I actually thought the differences were pretty subtle and already having the Schiit combo didn't feel it was worth the extra money to change. If I would have found the TT first it might have been a different story. But then again I play mostly 16/44 PCM...

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #21 of 41
well, Dave is a dream! and unless I found one at 50% or can pay the USD amount with Pesos or so it will always be.
I've seen in your profile that you have the Sony Z1R as well, how do you like those? I have the McIntosh MPH 1000 and was planning to sell them to get the Sony's... and the I started comparing with the Utopia.... bad bad move!

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #24 of 41
well, Dave is a dream! and unless I found one at 50% or can pay the USD amount with Pesos or so it will always be.
I've seen in your profile that you have the Sony Z1R as well, how do you like those? I have the McIntosh MPH 1000 and was planning to sell them to get the Sony's... and the I started comparing with the Utopia.... bad bad move!

I love the Z1Rs...they are my favourite closed back headphones (with very worthy mention to the 2016 version of the LCD-XC)...with the DAVE, they too are a dream!

Oct 2, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #25 of 41
I didn't like the Utopias directly out of the DAVE the one time I had the chance to try that combo. Probably what didn't help was that I'd tried the Utopia just after release on the Liquid Tungsten (damnit Alex, why aren't you making it?!?) which was just something else altogether. Massive, massive soundstage and pinpoint detail.

That being said, I'm pretty overjoyed with the Hugo 2 + Studio Six combo. With a good transport on the digital end, excellent tubes in the amp, and importantly, excellent music, the sound is just fantastic. With jazz it feels like as close to the headphones disappearing as I've ever experienced.

Oct 8, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #26 of 41
I didn't like the Utopias directly out of the DAVE the one time I had the chance to try that combo. Probably what didn't help was that I'd tried the Utopia just after release on the Liquid Tungsten (damnit Alex, why aren't you making it?!?) which was just something else altogether. Massive, massive soundstage and pinpoint detail.

That being said, I'm pretty overjoyed with the Hugo 2 + Studio Six combo. With a good transport on the digital end, excellent tubes in the amp, and importantly, excellent music, the sound is just fantastic. With jazz it feels like as close to the headphones disappearing as I've ever experienced.

How about just with Hugo2 alone?

Oct 8, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #27 of 41

The Utopias aren't hard to drive and the Hugo 2 is one excellent option for them as a standalone option. The DAVE is likely the best I've heard the Utopias sound, but the H2 is still very, very impressive!

Oct 9, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #28 of 41

I've been using the Utopias quite a bit out of the Hugo 2 by itself as a transportable rig. I think the Utopias, being 80 Ohms IIRC are at that mid point where fast voltage swing as well as a good amount of current make them shine the most. It so happened I made a good choice in amps years back, plus I got lucky on a couple of good tube deals that really nailed things performance-wise, and now with the Utopias this has all come together nicely. I'm willing to bet the new Clear will be an excellent sweet spot though with the Hugo 2 though.

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #29 of 41
The Utopias aren't hard to drive and the Hugo 2 is one excellent option for them as a standalone option. The DAVE is likely the best I've heard the Utopias sound, but the H2 is still very, very impressive!

Seeking advice.
I am a owner of Utopia with Dana cable. Have read your reviews of various equipment of my interest.
Given the choice:
1,Dave direct.
2 Hugo2 with Ampsandsound Kenzie Encore.

Thank you.

Nov 29, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #30 of 41
Seeking advice.
I am a owner of Utopia with Dana cable. Have read your reviews of various equipment of my interest.
Given the choice:
1,Dave direct.
2 Hugo2 with Ampsandsound Kenzie Encore.

Thank you.

DAVE direct would be my preference. But you could always get the Kenzie Encore too for a change of sound signatures if you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back