Focal Utopia General Discussion
Apr 6, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #20,461 of 20,583
They’re closer than either Utopia vs a HifiMan or Audeze, but from a HMS/TT2 the difference for me is that the 2022 is altogether more refined and sophisticated. The OG feels a bit raw.
Interestingly, when either is run from the Arche I much prefer the OG. The tonal balance and hefty impact are wonderful from the Arche. It’s very close to the 2022 from TT2 in balance.

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #20,462 of 20,583
Yes, I'm also wondering if it's worth it to own both? I'm very happy with the OG but I do think it could use a touch more bass. But it's very minor. I know Jude states that he feels the 2022 version has gained more resolving qualities. So I'm open-minded to the fact that it could be a better version from what was a classic and TOTL OG Utopia.
I wouldn't trust that salesman....

Apr 6, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #20,463 of 20,583
I wouldn't trust that salesman....
Jude has pretty good ears, you just have to read/listen between the lines.

To be fair you shouldn't trust anyone but yourself. Two audiophiles could simultaneously tell you they hear the same differences between the two pieces of gear and one likes one and the other one likes the other.

Apr 6, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #20,464 of 20,583
I prefer the OG. Though, I sold the OG twice, and I sold the 2022 once. I like the Utopia as a good all around pair of headphones, but it doesn't do anything my other headphones aren't doing. Let's put it this way. I'd buy my girlfriend an Utopia as her only pair of headphones, but for me, I'd rather have the TCs and Susvara. 🤷‍♂️

Apr 6, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #20,465 of 20,583
My brain knows the Nutopia is newer and costs more, so it wants to tell me the new one is prettier. But if remove all preconceived notions from the equation, I still think OG Utopia is more aesthetically pleasing. I think it's the carbon yoke, I don't like the pressed pattern.

Congrats on the new pickup, though - definitely staying tuned for your take on Nu vs OG after some time with both. :)
having compared them both, i prefer the look and sound signature of the og utopia. the og utopia is a classic imo.

Apr 6, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #20,466 of 20,583
having compared them both, i prefer the look and sound signature of the og utopia. the og utopia is a classic imo.
I haven’t heard the OG Utopia, but I 100% agree that the OG was better looking than the Nutopia.

Apr 6, 2024 at 11:32 PM Post #20,467 of 20,583
I prefer the OG. Though, I sold the OG twice, and I sold the 2022 once. I like the Utopia as a good all around pair of headphones, but it doesn't do anything my other headphones aren't doing. Let's put it this way. I'd buy my girlfriend an Utopia as her only pair of headphones, but for me, I'd rather have the TCs and Susvara. 🤷‍♂️
at this point you will buy your GF anything - I suggest HE-1 as the ultimate love language :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Apr 7, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #20,468 of 20,583
I have had a chance to buy a second hand Danacable Lazuli Reference XLR for my 2022 utopia. The performace of this cable is really jaw-dropping, compared with the stock cable, compared with my Lavricables Grand Silver Focal Utopia.

I paried it up with my Ferrum OOR, using this danacable, I can consistently feel the emotions of the singers. I have never heard anything that is so good before.

Apr 8, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #20,469 of 20,583
Hi guys.. around 50-55ish hours in, and my impression now is that the 2022 version doesn’t seem to have the same level of dynamic, in comparison with the OG. I compared them side by side listening to several tracks and the difference was quite clear. TBH it’s a bit boring to listen to.

Hope this will improve after breakin (hoping that the drivers need to be stabilized…).

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 3:24 AM Post #20,471 of 20,583
I love the 2022 utopia with the ferrum oor very much, but I am thinking of adding a planar headphone to complement the utopia. Do you have any good suggestions? I basically only listen to vocals.
Meze Elite ... Bright and detailed enough to compensate for the slightly warmer and darker nature of the Ferrum Oor.

Apr 9, 2024 at 5:33 AM Post #20,472 of 20,583
^ i like the meze elite quite a bit and perhaps more so than the empyrean 2 based on a recent comparison

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 7:31 PM Post #20,473 of 20,583
I love the 2022 utopia with the ferrum oor very much, but I am thinking of adding a planar headphone to complement the utopia. Do you have any good suggestions? I basically only listen to vocals.
I mean, you can't go wrong with Caldera or Susvara. Caldera exceeds Utopia on sub-bass presence; Susvara exceeds Utopia on resolution & soundstage. Neither *quite* exceeds Utopia on "dynamic engagement". At this level, though, you're really just working with different flavors of EXCELLENCE. That said, Utopia REALLY excells in vocal presentation IMO. Susvara may exceed it? But I'm not entirely convinced.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 1:04 AM Post #20,475 of 20,583
Yes, I'm also wondering if it's worth it to own both? I'm very happy with the OG but I do think it could use a touch more bass. But it's very minor. I know Jude states that he feels the 2022 version has gained more resolving qualities. So I'm open-minded to the fact that it could be a better version from what was a classic and TOTL OG Utopia.
I think the question is if it’s worth purchasing the 2022 version at all. Reliability concerns aside, I feel the original tuning and design is far superior. I presently own the 2022 and regret selling the 2016-2021 Utopia.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back