Focal Utopia General Discussion
Apr 6, 2024 at 3:32 AM Post #20,446 of 20,583
Apr 6, 2024 at 3:33 AM Post #20,447 of 20,583
Congrats dude! they're lovely!
Thanks mate!

Very fast delivery too... just 2.5 days from France all the way here to Thailand!

Apr 6, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #20,448 of 20,583
Thanks mate!

Very fast delivery too... just 2.5 days from France all the way here to Thailand!
IMG_1660.jpeg

Congratulations. They’re my favourite headphone.

I have mine cabled with the Norne Vykari v2 (hybrid)

I prefer the 2022 over the Utopia OG. It’s really grown on me.

Apr 6, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #20,449 of 20,583
IMG_1660.jpeg

What do you prefer about the 2022 version? I agree fwiw, just find it interesting how opinions on OG v 2022 differ so much

Apr 6, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #20,450 of 20,583
What do you prefer about the 2022 version? I agree fwiw, just find it interesting how opinions on OG v 2022 differ so much
Aesthetics: the stealth look has grown on me. I just needed the time to get used to it.

Durability: I haven’t heard of driver failure and word is they modified the coils to make it less likely. My retailer tells me the driver failure rate for OG was low but it’s a well documented issue.

Sound signature: the main one. The 2022 feels less bright and more relaxed. It’s warmer in tonality. Pairs easier, whereas OG can be more fatiguing with certain sources.

There’s an interesting read below

https://headphones.com/blogs/reviews/focal-2022-utopia-how-does-it-compare-to-original

Apr 6, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #20,451 of 20,583
Aesthetics: the stealth look has grown on me. I just needed the time to get used to it.

Durability: I haven’t heard of driver failure and word is they modified the coils to make it less likely. My retailer tells me the driver failure rate for OG was low but it’s a well documented issue.

Sound signature: the main one. The 2022 feels less bright and more relaxed. It’s warmer in tonality. Pairs easier, whereas OG can be more fatiguing with certain sources.

There’s an interesting read below

https://headphones.com/blogs/reviews/focal-2022-utopia-how-does-it-compare-to-original
Agreed on all fronts. The aesthetic is definitely improved imo.

The recent Amplify audio YouTube review worth checking out too.

Apr 6, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #20,452 of 20,583
Amp and source differences are the primary reasons for the divergent views.

Apr 6, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #20,453 of 20,583
IMG_1660.jpeg

Thanks. I paired mine with DanaCable's Lazuli Reference. Bought this few years back for OG Utopia and this cable TRANSFORMED my OG Utopia. Mid is fuller and treble is tamed to the degree that I no longer feel fatigued. With the Newtopia that is warmer, it's to be seen how good this cable will perform, once the headphones past run-in period.

Apr 6, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #20,454 of 20,583
Just received the new Utopia today... breaking them in right now!
UTP.jpg
My brain knows the Nutopia is newer and costs more, so it wants to tell me the new one is prettier. But if remove all preconceived notions from the equation, I still think OG Utopia is more aesthetically pleasing. I think it's the carbon yoke, I don't like the pressed pattern.

Congrats on the new pickup, though - definitely staying tuned for your take on Nu vs OG after some time with both. :)

Apr 6, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #20,455 of 20,583
Yes, I'm also wondering if it's worth it to own both? I'm very happy with the OG but I do think it could use a touch more bass. But it's very minor. I know Jude states that he feels the 2022 version has gained more resolving qualities. So I'm open-minded to the fact that it could be a better version from what was a classic and TOTL OG Utopia.

Apr 6, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #20,456 of 20,583
Yes, I'm also wondering if it's worth it to own both? I'm very happy with the OG but I do think it could use a touch more bass. But it's very minor. I know Jude states that he feels the 2022 version has gained more resolving qualities. So I'm open-minded to the fact that it could be a better version from what was a classic and TOTL OG Utopia.
The 2022 version gives more bass, but takes away from the treble

Apr 6, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #20,457 of 20,583

I have both.

I would quite happily let one go.

I have the danacable lazuli reference plus with the utopia OG and it is a fabulous pairing. It brings richness, warmth which makes the brightness less noticeable. The stock cable is pretty average.

I wouldn’t go so far to say the 2022 was more resolving. Aesthetics aside, and the change to the driver coil, I see it as a tuning side-step than an upgrade. Especially if you already had your source synergies in place (I can imagine it being stellar from a tube amp) I wouldn’t have bought Utopia 2022 had it not been for the significant discount during a distributor change.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #20,458 of 20,583
It's always about tradeoffs - there is no "free lunch". Personally, I think OG Utopia is PERFECTLY balanced for what it is. Adding more bass (aka pulling back treble) only takes away from the magic. If you're looking for more bass/sub-bass (totally reasonable), you're looking for a different headphone. FWIW, I went with Caldera.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #20,459 of 20,583
To be honest I'm very happy and satisfied with OG Utopia. My thoughts on bass are if I'm being too picky. I have a great system built and my driver tubes on the 300B amp are very extended top and bottom.

I think I sometimes allow myself let my mind wonder off. But I'm staying where I am. Happy and content with OG Utopia.

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #20,460 of 20,583
2022 also has a slight higher res through mid and it’s also a bit smoother.

Some songs work better on OG and some work better on 2022.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back