Focal Utopia General Discussion
Aug 13, 2023 at 2:31 AM Post #19,696 of 20,796
Goop is back on the menu boys! Replacement pads which iv'e got year ago are slowly showing signs of goopyness emerging.

Doesn't look too severe in photo but when touched with finger it sticks to it and accumulates with time.

21321.jpg

I need to do monthly inspections, thats for damned sure

Aug 13, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #19,697 of 20,796
Of course, happy to expound a bit more. First off congrats on grabbing the Nitsch version!

In my previous experience in using ZMF or Sennheiser headphones with my amp I had a certain expectation going into it, mainly from reading the SBAF thread and talking to a few other owners. Mind you I own other solid state amps which I feel match up better with these two cans, such as the Black Widow 2 (BW) and the Bryston BHA-1. When using both these headphones my main chain is either a tube amp or the BW, so that may very well explain where I am coming from when I tried them with the DSHA-3F.

Anyway, the DSHA-3F sounds as if the music is on a wide horizontal plane, no depth, height, or staging. It also sounds dull, not soft but dull like stifling. Folks talk about the HD650 veil, this amp brought it out in spades for me. This leads to a lack of dynamics, both micro and macro where it comes across as a fuzzy wall of sound.

Now switch up with my Utopia, and all those things mentioned above disappear as if I am listening to a completely different amp.

I know that may have been a bit harsh, I believe in brutal honesty and will not hold back.

If your headphones don't mesh well, I am sure you will have no problem putting it on the open market so not a risk at all. I even thought about buying one, only to compare it against mine, as I bought used and who knows how many hands it has passed through. If you have more specific questions, happy to chat more over PM.
We do hear things differently. I think the best attribute of this amp is staging and layering in my setup. I’m not sure why you got a flat staging. Which DAC did you use ?

Aug 13, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #19,699 of 20,796
We do hear things differently. I think the best attribute of this amp is staging and layering in my setup. I’m not sure why you got a flat staging. Which DAC did you use ?
I have used it with a variety of DACs: TT2+M-Scaler, SFD-2, Bricasti M1 SE. These DACs are no slouches, and when using the original Utopia it’s fantastic.
While I agree we do have our differences in how we hear or preferences, I personally don’t believe this amp does justice with the Sennheiser or ZMF I own compared to my other amps.

Aug 13, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #19,701 of 20,796
Aug 13, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #19,703 of 20,796
Of course, happy to expound a bit more. First off congrats on grabbing the Nitsch version!

Anyway, the DSHA-3F sounds as if the music is on a wide horizontal plane, no depth, height, or staging. It also sounds dull, not soft but dull like stifling. Folks talk about the HD650 veil, this amp brought it out in spades for me. This leads to a lack of dynamics, both micro and macro where it comes across as a fuzzy wall of sound.

Now switch up with my Utopia, and all those things mentioned above disappear as if I am listening to a completely different amp.

I know that may have been a bit harsh, I believe in brutal honesty and will not hold back.

If your headphones don't mesh well, I am sure you will have no problem putting it on the open market so not a risk at all.

Thank you and thank you for the detailed response! Definitely excited to have my DSHA-3FN come in, despite my reservations that I might not have made the best purchase considering my current headphone collection.

Which amp do you find works best with your HD650? My expectation is that, in my current collection, the ADX5000 will pair best, but considering its 420 ohm impedance (max impedance is up to 900 ohms), I fear that a) DSHA-3FN might not have ideal output impedance and b) I'm going to run out of headroom. Your issues with the DSHA-3F and the HD650 remind me of issues I've had in the past when outputs didn't have sufficient headroom for a given headphone (on paper, you'd think nearly 1 vrms at 300 ohms would be more than sufficient, but I've often found its not the case).

I appreciate your transparency, too many people in this hobby hold back (or outright refuse to comment on anything that they don't love). It does sound like the amp has its magic with the intended Focal headphones though....tempts me to bring a Utopia in.

Really appreciate your thorough response and sure to reach out to you when my Nitsch variant comes in.

Aug 13, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #19,704 of 20,796
Thank you and thank you for the detailed response! Definitely excited to have my DSHA-3FN come in, despite my reservations that I might not have made the best purchase considering my current headphone collection.

Which amp do you find works best with your HD650? My expectation is that, in my current collection, the ADX5000 will pair best, but considering its 420 ohm impedance (max impedance is up to 900 ohms), I fear that a) DSHA-3FN might not have ideal output impedance and b) I'm going to run out of headroom. Your issues with the DSHA-3F and the HD650 remind me of issues I've had in the past when outputs didn't have sufficient headroom for a given headphone (on paper, you'd think nearly 1 vrms at 300 ohms would be more than sufficient, but I've often found its not the case).

I appreciate your transparency, too many people in this hobby hold back (or outright refuse to comment on anything that they don't love). It does sound like the amp has its magic with the intended Focal headphones though....tempts me to bring a Utopia in.

Really appreciate your thorough response and sure to reach out to you when my Nitsch variant comes in.
You are very welcome, and thank you for not roasting me on my take 😀

The amps I’ve enjoyed most with the HD650 in order would be:
1) DNA Stratus, or any DNA amp. This amp is made for dynamic drivers such as the utopia or HD650
2) EC Black Widow, obviously hard to find
3) Woo WA3, an OTL amp somewhat similar to the Bottlehead Crack w/without Speedball

I’m not familiar with the ADX5000, hopefully you will know soon enough how it pairs up!

Aug 13, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #19,705 of 20,796
Goop is back on the menu boys! Replacement pads which iv'e got year ago are slowly showing signs of goopyness emerging.

Doesn't look too severe in photo but when touched with finger it sticks to it and accumulates with time.

Sheesh, were those direct from Focal? I wonder if they were selling some NOS goop-prone pre-2020 pads. Shame on them if they did. Supposedly Focal fixed the goop issue around 2020 based on what Focal support supposedly told a redditor, so nothing official that I can find based on a cursory search.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #19,706 of 20,796
Sheesh, were those direct from Focal? I wonder if they were selling some NOS goop-prone pre-2020 pads. Shame on them if they did. Supposedly Focal fixed the goop issue around 2020 based on what Focal support supposedly told a redditor, so nothing official that I can find based on a cursory search.
Got replacement pads from dealer so might have been old batch, anyways swapped to Elex pads for time being which i have as backup, not as precise sound as stock but not too bad.

Aug 23, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #19,708 of 20,796
Hi guys. Hi have a question.
Does anyone knows if the 2022 Utopia pads are the same as the OG ones? Would be interesting if anyone has compared them side by side.

I wonder if they gave it the same treatment as with the OG clear and MG, when they made the new earpads shallower.

Thanks!

Aug 23, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #19,710 of 20,796
Can any LTA MZ3 owners comment on the synergy with the Utopia (I have the 2020 version)? Bonus points you’ve also heard the utopias on other tube amps in the same general price range (eg DNA and Woo amps).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back