Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 14, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #19,307 of 20,634
So, the right driver of my OG Utopia (a 2016 Unit) finally said goodbye... :frowning2:
I disassembled the cup (six torx screws) but there seems to be no electrical continuity, by measuring with a tester.
Any idea of the price for replacing both the drivers by Focal? Is it better to ship it directly to France?

May 15, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #19,308 of 20,634
So, the right driver of my OG Utopia (a 2016 Unit) finally said goodbye... :frowning2:
I disassembled the cup (six torx screws) but there seems to be no electrical continuity, by measuring with a tester.
Any idea of the price for replacing both the drivers by Focal? Is it better to ship it directly to France?
You would be better off buying a new unit TBH. You will probably spend over $2k in repair including shipping.

May 15, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #19,309 of 20,634
I would (quietly) contact Focal.

You never know what might happen or be offered.

ps: sorry to hear about your loss

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #19,310 of 20,634
Sorry if this has gone over before. But I just got a pair of 2022's and they are clipping with the base on the following song at normal listening levels (towards the louder side). They only clip on my left. I sent back my first pair and the second pair does the same exact thing. Does it on my Euforia Evo and on my A&K Kaan MAX. Has anyone else had this or can someone test it with their set and the same song?

https://tidal.com/browse/track/87563344

May 15, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #19,311 of 20,634
Sorry if this has gone over before. But I just got a pair of 2022's and they are clipping with the base on the following song at normal listening levels (towards the louder side). They only clip on my left. I sent back my first pair and the second pair does the same exact thing. Does it on my Euforia Evo and on my A&K Kaan MAX. Has anyone else had this or can someone test it with their set and the same song?

https://tidal.com/browse/track/87563344
Try these guys:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-utopia-2022-review-measurements.964903/#post-17146154

May 15, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #19,314 of 20,634
@ericsdsu1987
I don't know, but my '18 Utopia has never ever clipped in its life, and I push the envelope from time to time for a track or two without issue.
As I mentioned on the other Focal thread, I listened to the track you're referring too and had no issues whatsoever. Either you're pushing your '22 too hard or there is something very wrong somewhere.

May 15, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #19,315 of 20,634
Lads need advice .. recently i acquired focal utopia using m17 as portable dap..... wanted to know if i need to get external amp to drive utopia..
example connecting connecting m17->ifi dsd diablo for small footprint and would i gain anything using diablo.. i mentioned diablo coz i have it laying around..
or do i need to get different amp to power the headphones..
Definitely i will look for tube amp down the road coz i spent more than i can afford for headphones... i wanted to collect/spend one at a time with six months gap...

May 15, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #19,316 of 20,634
Lads need advice .. recently i acquired focal utopia using m17 as portable dap..... wanted to know if i need to get external amp to drive utopia..
example connecting connecting m17->ifi dsd diablo for small footprint and would i gain anything using diablo.. i mentioned diablo coz i have it laying around..
If you have it "laying around" why not just try it nd listen if you prefer it in your chain or not?

May 16, 2023 at 12:01 AM Post #19,317 of 20,634
@ericsdsu1987
I don't know, but my '18 Utopia has never ever clipped in its life, and I push the envelope from time to time for a track or two without issue.
As I mentioned on the other Focal thread, I listened to the track you're referring too and had no issues whatsoever. Either you're pushing your '22 too hard or there is something very wrong somewhere.
Honestly, for the price including the amp and dac we are almost at 10k... I could have done susvara and envy for slightly more or try the shangri-la JR which is even cheaper. I'm not happy about this happening with the last set and the replacement they just sent me....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back