Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jan 5, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #19,096 of 20,751
I'll give that the Danacable felt more meaty and substantial, like a serious piece of equipment. But then you realize that that comes at quite an ergonomic cost. It is heavy and much too stiff. Like, for what it was, I knew it would be stiff and I was willing to accept that. But this was much worse than I thought. With the headphone on, I could feel the cable pressing on my shoulders, and my head movement dug them into me. So I felt constrained to keeping my face forward. Next, despite me getting the shorter 2m version, I could not fit the cable into the Focal headphone case (this is how I like to store the headphones). I couldn't believe it. I could even fit the Utopia's 3m stock cable in the case. Both the stiffness and thickness of the Lazuli are an ergonomic nightmare.
Not sure why headphone cables need to be super thick, maybe if headphones were intended to be used in coal mine or war zone for sake of durability or demanded wires that could withstand +100 watts of constant power. Added thickness starts to reduce comfort rather quickly.

Jan 5, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #19,100 of 20,751
Also sold the Abyss and now on my 4th pair of Utopia. The best OG version I ever had. Also sold the Lazuli cable I had with my first pair.... too expensive for what it does. It takes away the engagement /excitement of the headphone and makes it meatier/thicker or simply more dull.
But that's me and my ears and I don't use EQ.

Jan 5, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #19,101 of 20,751
The Abyss 1266 was a fun headphone. I've owned every iteration, except the OG. The 2022 Utopia has a far better tonality that will let you enjoy a much wider range of music with a much wider range of sources.

Jan 5, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #19,102 of 20,751
well, i listened to the ab1266 last year when i was auditioning the diana v2, although i'm not sure if it was the latest tc iteration as i didn't think to ask. it wasn't a revelatory listening experience for me but my interest was in the diana anyway.
I think you'd find over the course of many weeks with dialing in the fit, their technical presentation can be quite revelatory in comparative context.

When you pair the 1266 with tubes notably 300B for their midrange prowess, you do really start to open up their balance that only very top tier stats equal.

Jan 5, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #19,103 of 20,751
Jan 5, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #19,105 of 20,751
I think you'd find over the course of many weeks with dialing in the fit, their technical presentation can be quite revelatory in comparative context.

When you pair the 1266 with tubes notably 300B for their midrange prowess, you do really start to open up their balance that only very top tier stats equal.
i ruled the ab1266 out of serious consideration years ago because of its unwieldy design. the diana appealed, however.

Jan 5, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #19,107 of 20,751
not mine. watching my dad belt the living suitcase out of yours made me proud. oops! forgot to add this: :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #19,109 of 20,751
So after all the recommendations for the Lazuli Ref cable, I finally bit the bullet. I never imagined spending so much on a cable, and felt very dumb doing it. But with all the strong impressions on the audio benefit it provides to the Utopia, I felt compelled to hear it for myself. I had been using the Forza Noir HPC and stock cable (which to me doesn't sound terrible, its just too long of a cable for me).

Welp, sorry to Lazuli fans but the Ref cable was a big, comprehensive disappointment to me. I'm baffled really that this cable is so highly regarded for the Utopia, or even at all justified by many for its high price tag. Baffled. I don't usually talk bad about products, and am very careful and do a lot of research before buying something. So me writing this feels weird, but I feel like I need to provide a data point for others in my position of curiosity.

Firstly, the cable is built nicely and feels solid and expensive. Particularly, the Y-splitter and headphone connectors look shiny and feel expensive. The sheathing was a little mixed for me. It's a mix of brown and black threads. The brown was fine, but the black looked and felt like cheap shiny plastic. I ran my fingernail across the threads and could move them easily. I guess at the price I'd expect the sheathing to be more tightly wound, but don't think it's going to come undone or anything. That said, there were points throughout the cable that I could see brown fibers sticking up. I know it's a minor thing, but this is a $1k cable. For comparison, I've had three Forza cables in the past, wrapped in their Noir material. Theirs is much more tightly wrapped and feels better in the hand too, with zero imperfections on all three cables I've had. Bear in mind that this is ~ $200-$300.

I'll give that the Danacable felt more meaty and substantial, like a serious piece of equipment. But then you realize that that comes at quite an ergonomic cost. It is heavy and much too stiff. Like, for what it was, I knew it would be stiff and I was willing to accept that. But this was much worse than I thought. With the headphone on, I could feel the cable pressing on my shoulders, and my head movement dug them into me. So I felt constrained to keeping my face forward. Next, despite me getting the shorter 2m version, I could not fit the cable into the Focal headphone case (this is how I like to store the headphones). I couldn't believe it. I could even fit the Utopia's 3m stock cable in the case. Both the stiffness and thickness of the Lazuli are an ergonomic nightmare.

But surely the sound improvement will make up for all that? I'm sorry guys, I was baffled again. On a positive, I did notice that the mids (particularly male vocals) were meatier/more forward than the other cables. But that was about it. My first What with the sound was that I was getting bored. I remember on my first listen that I was really paying attention for differences, as we all do with new gear. But then I just laid back and continued to listen for a longer session to allow my brain to adjust to the new sound. Without even thinking about it, within a few minutes I pulled out my phone and started messing with it. After I realized it, I put the phone down and tried to devote 100% attention to listening (note that this is not common behavior for me, I'm usually engaged with the Utopia). I switch among my favorite tracks to see what I hear. After an hour, I'm like okay...something's off. I felt nothing. It was just...nice. But "nice" in this case was actually not a good thing, because the Utopia usually sounds "awesome" to me.

So maybe I thought I was just off that day, dunno. I tried again the next night, and same thing. I have to keep myself from getting bored and pulling out my phone or thinking about something else. It was so weird! I've never ever been bored with the Utopia. So then I start a/b'ing with the Forza cable to see what was causing this. A couple things were immediate with the a/b. The top end on the Lazuli is neutered. It was such a big difference with the Forza cable, despite them both using 100% copper. It suggested why people liked this cable so much, for the same reason Focal tuned the new 2022 version to be less bright. Except in my case, I don't find my OG Utopia peaky. Yes, it's treble prominent, but not peaky (or shouty) to me. It's realistic. So unfortunately in my case, what this cable does is suck the life out of the upper end. I could immediately hear the difference when switching to the Forza cable (and stock cable too). The airiness/clarity in the treble region would come back. This is why I felt like something was missing and kept getting bored with the Lazuli. The only thing to me the Lazuli did better was the meatier mids, but the neutered treble much overshadowed it.

I really couldn't believe that a $1K sounded worse, that I was in denial and keep putting more time with the Lazuli to make sure. I just kept getting bored, over and over again. Eventually I reached out to Danacable and they allowed me to return it. I have to say props to them for letting you try it and return within 30 days of receiving the product. They were great, didn't push back, didn't make me pay a restocking fee, and understood the points I made on why it wasn't for me. No bad feelings at all on their interaction. I only had to pay the shipping costs, which was a fair deal to me, because I got to put this curiosity to bed.

Suffice to say, you won't catch me spending anywhere near $1K for a cable again. The thoughts I'm left with on the matter is that, if the Utopia is too bright for you, it probably isn't the right headphone for you (or now that there's a warmer 2022 version, only look to that). Don't look at a super expensive cable to "fix" it so you can enjoy it, it just isn't the right headphone for you. If you are like me and love the Utopia's sound through-and-through, then I would tread with caution on this cable.
I had that same cable and I swear I could have written the same exact review. Mine came with my Utopias that I bought second hand. I couldn't stand using that thick monster and sold it.

Jan 5, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #19,110 of 20,751
So after all the recommendations for the Lazuli Ref cable, I finally bit the bullet. I never imagined spending so much on a cable, and felt very dumb doing it. But with all the strong impressions on the audio benefit it provides to the Utopia, I felt compelled to hear it for myself. I had been using the Forza Noir HPC and stock cable (which to me doesn't sound terrible, its just too long of a cable for me).

Welp, sorry to Lazuli fans but the Ref cable was a big, comprehensive disappointment to me. I'm baffled really that this cable is so highly regarded for the Utopia, or even at all justified by many for its high price tag. Baffled. I don't usually talk bad about products, and am very careful and do a lot of research before buying something. So me writing this feels weird, but I feel like I need to provide a data point for others in my position of curiosity.

Firstly, the cable is built nicely and feels solid and expensive. Particularly, the Y-splitter and headphone connectors look shiny and feel expensive. The sheathing was a little mixed for me. It's a mix of brown and black threads. The brown was fine, but the black looked and felt like cheap shiny plastic. I ran my fingernail across the threads and could move them easily. I guess at the price I'd expect the sheathing to be more tightly wound, but don't think it's going to come undone or anything. That said, there were points throughout the cable that I could see brown fibers sticking up. I know it's a minor thing, but this is a $1k cable. For comparison, I've had three Forza cables in the past, wrapped in their Noir material. Theirs is much more tightly wrapped and feels better in the hand too, with zero imperfections on all three cables I've had. Bear in mind that this is ~ $200-$300.

But surely the sound improvement will make up for all that? I'm sorry guys, I was baffled again. On a positive, I did notice that the mids (particularly male vocals) were meatier/more forward than the other cables. But that was about it. My first What with the sound was that I was getting bored. I remember on my first listen that I was really paying attention for differences, as we all do with new gear. But then I just laid back and continued to listen for a longer session to allow my brain to adjust to the new sound. Without even thinking about it, within a few minutes I pulled out my phone and started messing with it. After I realized it, I put the phone down and tried to devote 100% attention to listening (note that this is not common behavior for me, I'm usually engaged with the Utopia). I switch among my favorite tracks to see what I hear. After an hour, I'm like okay...something's off. I felt nothing. It was just...nice. But "nice" in this case was actually not a good thing, because the Utopia usually sounds "awesome" to me.

So maybe I thought I was just off that day, dunno. I tried again the next night, and same thing. I have to keep myself from getting bored and pulling out my phone or thinking about something else. It was so weird! I've never ever been bored with the Utopia. So then I start a/b'ing with the Forza cable to see what was causing this. A couple things were immediate with the a/b. The top end on the Lazuli is neutered. It was such a big difference with the Forza cable, despite them both using 100% copper. It suggested why people liked this cable so much, for the same reason Focal tuned the new 2022 version to be less bright. Except in my case, I don't find my OG Utopia peaky. Yes, it's treble prominent, but not peaky (or shouty) to me. It's realistic. So unfortunately in my case, what this cable does is suck the life out of the upper end. I could immediately hear the difference when switching to the Forza cable (and stock cable too). The airiness/clarity in the treble region would come back. This is why I felt like something was missing and kept getting bored with the Lazuli. The only thing to me the Lazuli did better was the meatier mids, but the neutered treble much overshadowed it.

I really couldn't believe that a $1K sounded worse, that I was in denial and keep putting more time with the Lazuli to make sure. I just kept getting bored, over and over again. Eventually I reached out to Danacable and they allowed me to return it. I have to say props to them for letting you try it and return within 30 days of receiving the product. They were great, didn't push back, didn't make me pay a restocking fee, and understood the points I made on why it wasn't for me. No bad feelings at all on their interaction. I only had to pay the shipping costs, which was a fair deal to me, because I got to put this curiosity to bed.

Suffice to say, you won't catch me spending anywhere near $1K for a cable again. The thoughts I'm left with on the matter is that, if the Utopia is too bright for you, it probably isn't the right headphone for you (or now that there's a warmer 2022 version, only look to that). Don't look at a super expensive cable to "fix" it so you can enjoy it, it just isn't the right headphone for you. If you are like me and love the Utopia's sound through-and-through, then I would tread with caution on this cable.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

i had looked at the lazuli ref cable quite often but never pulled the trigger as i was worried it might be too rich in the mids and maybe not open enough.

i assume that gets dealt with their higher priced cable offerings that have silver in them but they get too pricey for me

and though you and a few others have not enjoyed that cable, many here have. Obviously it’s all subjective. Nothing objective on that point :)

it’s great that there was no issues returning it - 100% kudos to them.

as a side note i returned the hifiman ananda when i bought it directly a few years ago and there was also no issue returning it under their return policy- since i have moved up the chain to their susvaras now.

my experience with the utopias, and my local store‘s recommendations based on customer feedback - minidisc here in australia - led me to buying the nordost heimdall 2 cable for the utopias.

they have been discontinued but you may find some stock out there.

they are silver plated copper. And imho brings to the table the characteristics of those two properties. Compared to stock cable - more detail without being a too weighted sound with the solver plating (i guess) giving a touch of liveliness in there too.

i have been very happy with the sound of that cable and have 100% settled on that cable for the utopias.

of course ymmv

side point: unfortunately that cable’s casing (nordost) developed a split in its casing but fortunately nordost were great on replacing the cable

it came with either a 2 or 5 year warranty - i forget which one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back