Focal Utopia General Discussion
Dec 7, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #18,946 of 20,644
the OG will be discontinued or not

OG sounds worse and worse since the release of the new one, like it was cursed by the 2022 one
the og utopia is discontinued. not sure what you're basing your second point on but it doesn't align with the reviews and impressions comparing the og utopia and nutopia that i've seen thus far.

Dec 7, 2022 at 4:55 AM Post #18,947 of 20,644
For those that have used the Utopias for an extended period, what have you found to be the best solid state amp to pair with if?

I’m still searching for a solid state amp to use with Utopias and my Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2. Have tried in-home the Ragnarok v1.5, Ragnarok 2, Jotunheim 2, Asgard 2, Bryston BHA-1, and the AAW Black Amp. Haven’t yet tried the Pass HPA-1, ECP DSHA-3F, Simaudio 430HA, or Headamp GS-X Mini. No interest in tube maintenance or upkeep (and have owned tube amps before).

Dec 7, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #18,948 of 20,644
For those that have used the Utopias for an extended period, what have you found to be the best solid state amp to pair with if?

I’m still searching for a solid state amp to use with Utopias and my Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2. Have tried in-home the Ragnarok v1.5, Ragnarok 2, Jotunheim 2, Asgard 2, Bryston BHA-1, and the AAW Black Amp. Haven’t yet tried the Pass HPA-1, ECP DSHA-3F, Simaudio 430HA, or Headamp GS-X Mini. No interest in tube maintenance or upkeep (and have owned tube amps before).
It’s not the answer to your question since you specifically look for an amp, but i find that my FiiO M17 in desktop mode is perfect for the Utopia (out of your list I am only familiar with the gs-x mini which does not add vs the FiiO).

Dec 7, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #18,949 of 20,644

My first choice would be the ECP DSHA-3F over all the ones you mention - pronally I use the Luxman P-750u in balanced mode which I find to be a particularly good match, and I've tried 430HA, GS-X Mini, Bryston, Ray Samuels, Audio GD, Focal Arche, and some I don't remember ...

Dec 7, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #18,950 of 20,644

Niimbus or Enleum

Dec 7, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #18,951 of 20,644

If you have the space, go for a CFA3, very versatile across the board.
cfa3WP_20200131_19_10_46_Rich (2).jpg

Dec 7, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #18,952 of 20,644

The “best“ is obviously subjective but I preferred the Naim Uniti HE even over the Niimbus US5. The Niimbus is technically amazing, extremely resolving and objectively superior to the Naim, but the Naim is just so much fun with the legendary Naim PRaT, that I ended up buying it.

Plus you get a nice streamer and dac in the same very good looking package.

Dec 7, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #18,953 of 20,644

I thought and still do, that the gs-x mini made a nice pairing. Currently I'm using the Niimbus (I still have the mini as well). It's excellent. I have the yggy 2 as well.

Dec 7, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #18,954 of 20,644
I thought and still do, that the gs-x mini made a nice pairing. Currently I'm using the Niimbus (I still have the mini as well). It's excellent. I have the yggy 2 as well.
I agree with this view. I have the Utopia (2017), Niimbus US 5 Pro, Benchmark HPA4, and HeadAmp GS-X Mini. All these amps drive the Utopia very well. I've enjoyed using them all. The Niimbus is currently in my rack. I'd recommend the GS-X Mini as the best value, especially second hand.

Dec 7, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #18,955 of 20,644
My oh my, is the Focal Utopia 2020 ever a salve for the ears!!! I'm loving it and at this stage, refuse to break it down into why I enjoy it so much. Put more simply, buy it while it's discounted. The best I've ever heard and that includes the Stax Sigma Pro - eeeekkk!!!!

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #18,956 of 20,644

I use DAVE powered by the ARC6-DC4 and Cap-board. Can listen for hours and hours.

On my studio rig (Avid MTRX) I use Wells Audio Headtrip II for amplification to headphones. The Headtrip II provides a smidgen or tad more visceral impact and mix insight. Can also listen for hours.

I sometimes forget which amp my Utopias are fed by especially when testing a new project for translation (unfamiliarity). Such is the closeness of both platforms and such is the enjoyment from both.

Regards
GG

Dec 9, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #18,958 of 20,644
Thanks to all those that responded to my recent inquiry re: solid state amplifier pairings for the Focal Utopia. The following amps were recommended, in alphabetical order.

Solid state headphone amplifierCurrent MSRP (or last MSRP if discontinued) - USDRecommenders
Benchmark HPA4$3,299@SalR406
Chord DAVE$14,000@GryphonGuy
ECP DSHA-3F$2,800@puppypatrol, @helljudgement
Enleum [AMP-23R]$6,250@vonBaron
Fiio M17$1,799@Hoegaardener70
Headamp GS-X Mini$1,995@acguitar84, @SalR406 (vote for best value)
Kevin Gilmore CFA3Unclear; DIY or pay commercial DIYer@paradoxper
Luxman P-750u$4,995@puppypatrol (preferred over DSHA-3F, Simaudio 430HA, Headamp GS-X Mini, Bryston [BHA-1], Focal Arche, and amps from Ray Samuels Audio, Audio GD, etc.)
Naim Uniti Atom HE (headphone edition)$3,799@Musicophilesblog
Niimbus US 5 Pro$6,600@vonBaron, @SalR406, @acguitar84
Wells Audio Headtrip II$7,000 (monoblock version is $30,000)@GryphonGuy

Notes:
  • Amps that received multiple recommendations were the ECP DSHA-3F (2), Headamp GS-X Mini (2), and Niimbus US 5 Pro (3).
  • Nitsch Audio is releasing the DSHA-3FN sometime in 2023, as noted by @helljudgement. Anticipated pricing of $2,600.
  • I had not heard of the units from Niimbus or Enleum before. Without being able to demo, I'm nervous to try given the price.
  • I had not heard of the Wells Audio Headtrip II before. It looks like a mini-speaker amp, similar to a Pass Labs or Coda amp. Crazy-high power output (25W at 32 ohms and 1.8W at 600 ohms!), crazy-high gain (30 dB), and crazy-low input sensitivity (85 mV), so coupled with Yggdrasil Analog 2 may not have any play whatsoever on the volume knob. Looks like it was originally designed for hard to drive headphones like the Abyss, which makes sense given the specs. (I'm a Magnepan owner that uses a beefy Coda stereo amplifier.) Intrigued, but seems like complete overkill for the Utopia.
Initial Conclusions:
  • Seems like the best values for those who already have a source/DAC are the Headamp GS-X Mini and the ECP DSHA-3F. The latter being designed specifically for Focals is certainly persuasive.
  • The FiiO M17 and Naim Uniti Atom HE look like good options for those who want an all-in one source, DAC, and amp. I've considered the Naim unit before for a potential bedside rig, maybe with a Focal Stellia. No need for such functionality now in the living room system.
More info about where I'm coming from in this search:

I'm looking for an amp that will do the same thing with the Utopia that my Coda separates did for my Magnepan speakers in my living room system. That system is the Yggdrasil Analog 2 --> Coda 07x preamplifier --> Coda 16.0 amplifier. The 16.0 is a Class A/B design, but with 100W Class A bias and a total 150/300W at 8/4 ohms, respectively, power rating. I want a solid state amplifier with tube characteristics. I don't want to kill the Utopia's strengths by using a warmpoo amp, but I do want to have a smooth, inviting, musical experience that doesn't make me want to take the headphones off after an album like I have had with many of the amps I listed in my original inquiry post. When I moved from my Ragnarok 1.5 to the Coda separates in the speaker chain, I was blown away. The Coda gear was more resolving; provided warmth in the midrange; bass punch, kick and control at lower volumes even; and I found myself listening to music more and more.

From what I've read, the GS-X Mini may have a similar sound signature. Perhaps the DSHA-3F less so with a cleaner sound, but not edgy or irritating and some tube-like characteristics. I think Luxman could work as well, but are expensive and tougher to get used versions with the correct transformer voltage it looks like (many come with Japanese 100v transformers given the popularity of Luxman in Japan).

The Wells Audio Headtrip II honestly looks like a small speaker amp (picture below). However, it is rather expensive and considering how little I plan to listen to headphones in the living room system probably not the best use of resources, even if purchased used.

Headtrip+2+guts1.jpg

Curious as to any other thoughts, but seems like for now it probably makes the most sense to try and hear the GS-X Mini and Pass Labs HPA-1 while I wait for the DSHA-3FN to be released. Even the Pass is pushing what I'd really want to spend on a headphone amp. I also have a Magni Piety I bought on a whim that I'll be trying soon and may just settle on that and repurpose the money I've been saving up for a more expensive headphone amp. :)

Dec 9, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #18,959 of 20,644
Thanks to all those that responded to my recent inquiry re: solid state amplifier pairings for the Focal Utopia. The following amps were recommended, in alphabetical order.

Solid state headphone amplifierCurrent MSRP (or last MSRP if discontinued) - USDRecommenders
Luxman P-750u$4,995@puppypatrol (preferred over DSHA-3F, Simaudio 430HA, Headamp GS-X Mini, Bryston [BHA-1], Focal Arche, and amps from Ray Samuels Audio, Audio GD, etc.)

Notes:
  • Amps that received multiple recommendations were the ECP DSHA-3F (2), Headamp GS-X Mini (2), and Niimbus US 5 Pro (3).
  • Nitsch Audio is releasing the DSHA-3FN sometime in 2023, as noted by @helljudgement. Anticipated pricing of $2,600.
  • I had not heard of the units from Niimbus or Enleum before. Without being able to demo, I'm nervous to try given the price.
  • I had not heard of the Wells Audio Headtrip II before. It looks like a mini-speaker amp, similar to a Pass Labs or Coda amp. Crazy-high power output (25W at 32 ohms and 1.8W at 600 ohms!), crazy-high gain (30 dB), and crazy-low input sensitivity (85 mV), so coupled with Yggdrasil Analog 2 may not have any play whatsoever on the volume knob. Looks like it was originally designed for hard to drive headphones like the Abyss, which makes sense given the specs. (I'm a Magnepan owner that uses a beefy Coda stereo amplifier.) Intrigued, but seems like complete overkill for the Utopia.
Initial Conclusions:
  • Seems like the best values for those who already have a source/DAC are the Headamp GS-X Mini and the ECP DSHA-3F. The latter being designed specifically for Focals is certainly persuasive.
  • The FiiO M17 and Naim Uniti Atom HE look like good options for those who want an all-in one source, DAC, and amp. I've considered the Naim unit before for a potential bedside rig, maybe with a Focal Stellia. No need for such functionality now in the living room system.

I'm looking for an amp that will do the same thing with the Utopia that my Coda separates did for my Magnepan speakers in my living room system. That system is the Yggdrasil Analog 2 --> Coda 07x preamplifier --> Coda 16.0 amplifier. The 16.0 is a Class A/B design, but with 100W Class A bias and a total 150/300W at 8/4 ohms, respectively, power rating. I want a solid state amplifier with tube characteristics. I don't want to kill the Utopia's strengths by using a warmpoo amp, but I do want to have a smooth, inviting, musical experience that doesn't make me want to take the headphones off after an album like I have had with many of the amps I listed in my original inquiry post. When I moved from my Ragnarok 1.5 to the Coda separates in the speaker chain, I was blown away. The Coda gear was more resolving; provided warmth in the midrange; bass punch, kick and control at lower volumes even; and I found myself listening to music more and more.

From what I've read, the GS-X Mini may have a similar sound signature. Perhaps the DSHA-3F less so with a cleaner sound, but not edgy or irritating and some tube-like characteristics. I think Luxman could work as well, but are expensive and tougher to get used versions with the correct transformer voltage it looks like (many come with Japanese 100v transformers given the popularity of Luxman in Japan).

The Wells Audio Headtrip II honestly looks like a small speaker amp (picture below). However, it is rather expensive and considering how little I plan to listen to headphones in the living room system probably not the best use of resources, even if purchased used.

Headtrip+2+guts1.jpg

Curious as to any other thoughts, but seems like for now it probably makes the most sense to try and hear the GS-X Mini and Pass Labs HPA-1 while I wait for the DSHA-3FN to be released. Even the Pass is pushing what I'd really want to spend on a headphone amp. I also have a Magni Piety I bought on a whim that I'll be trying soon and may just settle on that and repurpose the money I've been saving up for a more expensive headphone amp. :)
Notably when the Utopia was originally released, the HeadAmp GS-X Mk2, Naim DAC-V1 and Uniti Atom were all shown in their marketing photos before the advent of the Arche (see photo here).

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #18,960 of 20,644

Notes:
Initial Conclusions:

Headtrip+2+guts1.jpg

Nice research

from my own personal experience:

the niimbus is an exceptional amp. I have the us4. I have had no need or temptation to buy any other SS amp at all.
Extremely powerful and drives EVERY headphone. EVERY. (Not tried with items).
Thers is a great thorough review by @project86 on one of the two main niimbus threads here.
no need necessarily for the us5 pro. The us4+ is very very similar. The us4 is also very close to the 4+.
If you are a little patient you could get the 4/4+ second hand at a great price.
When i bought the niimbus new, i bought it as an indulgence for an amp to drive the susvaras. Because it is not inxexpensive.
But as mentioned above i have no need to buy another ss amp.

the v281 or the v280 are greasy versatile amps that work well with utopias too.
Not quite as detailed as the niimbus but solid options. A little on the warmer side, just to curb any liveliness one might want to avoid with a hp like the utopias or hekse. No longer in production but great value if 2nd hand.

I believe the v550 from violectric (i have not heard it) sits between the v281/280 and niimbus.

again, i have not heard the gsx mini, but i did do as much reading on it as i could before buying the niimbus (for the susvaras)
The gsx mini seems like a great value proposition and offering. Good level of power that comes out of that too.
That seems like a great option if you go that way.

All the best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back