Focal Utopia General Discussion
Nov 20, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #18,856 of 20,602
Yes, as I was looking the user guide of the Violectric V550, this amp can deliver a lot of power, so for sure if you don't pay attention where is your volume knob you could damage your headphones, but this could happen with average headphone amps too. The power applied to your headphone is controlled by the volume, or "volume attenuator", and the gain settings ("headphone amp pre-gain" in the back of your V550), so you should not go wrong by putting your volume at 0, plug your Utopias and turn then volume up slowly. For the pre-gain settings, you could use for example, such a gain that give your listening level around 12 o'clock in the volume knob.
the burson conductor v2+ is also a powerful head amp. i always ensure that the volume knob is set to zero before i plug the utopia or any other headphone into the headphone jack and gradually increase the volume. i turn the volume knob back to zero before unplugging the headphone. it's just common sense really.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #18,857 of 20,602
Anyone here bother conditioning their utopia/Stellia ear pads to keep them nice and supple? If so, do you just use leather conditioner?

Keen to prolong their longevity for as long as possible.

Thanks
Funny you ask this question because I took my Utopia pads off today to check for any glue and all was fine. While they were off I was contemplating whether to use leather cleaner/conditioner on them, but then I totally decided against being they're fenestrated and I didn't want the memory foam to absorb the cleaner/conditioner.

Nov 21, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #18,858 of 20,602
Funny you ask this question because I took my Utopia pads off today to check for any glue and all was fine. While they were off I was contemplating whether to use leather cleaner/conditioner on them, but then I totally decided against being they're fenestrated and I didn't want the memory foam to absorb the cleaner/conditioner.
I feel the same way about the conditioner. I’ve always operated under the assumption that since the pads are widely available for separate purchase, that once mine wore out I would just replace them.

Since I’m using Stellia pads, which are comprised of a solid leather that is considerably more robust than the more delicate stock Utopia pads, so far out of a couple of years of use they’re still in pretty rock solid shape.

I wonder if Focal offers some pad care instructions of their own? I’ll go back a review the manual…

Nov 21, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #18,859 of 20,602
Just for kicks, did anyone try Utopia with Shortest Way 51 amp ?

I'm using Elex with it, stock tubes and I'm pretty surprised in a positive way since amp is a bit leaner. On "paper" they should be a terrible match....

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #18,860 of 20,602
Since I’m using Stellia pads, which are comprised of a solid leather that is considerably more robust than the more delicate stock Utopia pads, so far out of a couple of years of use they’re still in pretty rock solid shape.
I've been using my Utopia pads since purchase in mid-'18 and they seem fine...that is until I buy new pads and realize how they actually weren't.

Nov 23, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #18,861 of 20,602
The OG Utopia are half price here in AUS.

I currently have the Clear OG and LOVE them....wondering if I should bite the bullet and upgrade.....Is it a completely different sound....or just better than what I already have?

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #18,862 of 20,602

I currently have the Clear OG and LOVE them....wondering if I should bite the bullet and upgrade.....Is it a completely different sound....or just better than what I already have?
Do yourself a favour and get them. Leaves the Clear in the dust.

Nov 23, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #18,863 of 20,602

not a 'completely different sound' but 'better than what you already have' imo

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #18,864 of 20,602

Indeed they are :)

Seems like the Aussie distributor is clearing out the all OG stock. It's an unbeatable price for a TOTL headphone, and is quite possibly the cheapest in the world.

I couldn't resist or pass up on this offer, so I purchased a pair. Now I have both the Stellia and Utopia OG.

Nov 24, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #18,865 of 20,602
Indeed they are :)

Seems like the Aussie distributor is clearing out the all OG stock. It's an unbeatable price for a TOTL headphone, and is quite possibly the cheapest in the world.

I couldn't resist or pass up on this offer, so I purchased a pair. Now I have both the Stellia and Utopia OG.
And what is this incredible discount off the retail price?

Nov 24, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #18,867 of 20,602
AUD 3499 discounted down from AUD 5499.
Not quite half price then, as had been stated above. Still a screaming deal at less than USD$2400 equivalent!

Nov 24, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #18,868 of 20,602
Not quite half price then, as had been stated above. Still a screaming deal at less than USD$2400 equivalent!
Half the sticker price of the 2022 Utopia in Australia, which is A$6999.
Given that it seems to be a toss up which model people actually prefer, the OG Utopia at A$3499 is indeed a 'screaming deal' at the moment.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #18,869 of 20,602
At that price ; I cannot think of a better headphone. And one that is easy to drive.

5 year warranty too!

Nov 24, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #18,870 of 20,602

I had an extended listening test at Addicted to Audio in Melbourne. I brought my original Clear as well as the Burson Conductor 3X Reference (also have Arche at home) for A/B. For me, they both have the Focal sound "profile" but my god does the Utopia eclipse the Clear in every way. I'm sort of happy with my Clear but have always felt like it's missing something - the Utopia filled the void really nicely for me. The Clear OG for AUD$990 is an absolute steal though! So is the Utopia (2020 set with the box) at AUD$3500. So finally....after years of drooling....I finally got the Utopia!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back