Focal Utopia General Discussion
Feb 7, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #14,041 of 20,644
After spending over a month with the Focal Arche, stepping down from the Chord Mscaler/Dave, I can say it’s a great pairing. I don’t miss the Dave at all.

A few things to note, when I was using the Mscaler, I ran it off a battery and that toned down the brightness a hint and improved bass. I am feeding the Arche thru Stack Audio Link II and noticed that slight brightness was there. Just switched to linear power supply and now feel the Arche goes as deep as the Dave and has more relaxed natural vocals. I also feel the Arche has more weight and punch.

I’d say one difference is Mscaler/Dave combo was able to provide better micro details but for me I need the weight first, nice bass, rich mids, and sparkling highs without being bright. You’ll see complaints of the mscaler making the Dave too bright with either stock power supply or stock cables. I also thought Utopia’s sounds a hint thin without using the HF filter on the Dave. When done right the combo will definitely beat the Arche, but it’s such a big price difference to achieve that. Can’t really say how the Dave alone compares since most heard with the mscaler.

Please note, none of this is based on direct comparisons. But usually if you swap something out for worse, you’ll end up missing the other and want it back.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #14,042 of 20,644
After spending over a month with the Focal Arche, stepping down from the Chord Mscaler/Dave, I can say it’s a great pairing. I don’t miss the Dave at all.

A few things to note, when I was using the Mscaler, I ran it off a battery and that toned down the brightness a hint and improved bass. I am feeding the Arche thru Stack Audio Link II and noticed that slight brightness was there. Just switched to linear power supply and now feel the Arche goes as deep as the Dave and has more relaxed natural vocals. I also feel the Arche has more weight and punch.

I’d say one difference is Mscaler/Dave combo was able to provide better micro details but for me I need the weight first, nice bass, rich mids, and sparkling highs without being bright. You’ll see complaints of the mscaler making the Dave too bright with either stock power supply or stock cables. I also thought Utopia’s sounds a hint thin without using the HF filter on the Dave. When done right the combo will definitely beat the Arche, but it’s such a big price difference to achieve that. Can’t really say how the Dave alone compares since most heard with the mscaler.

Please note, none of this is based on direct comparisons. But usually if you swap something out for worse, you’ll end up missing the other and want it back.
I’ve had similar result with the Utopia/Arche with a stock 1/4” plug Focal cable, and a Sonore microRendu with their LPS. Very synergistic combination.

Feb 7, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #14,043 of 20,644
I’ve had similar result with the Utopia/Arche with a stock 1/4” plug Focal cable, and a Sonore microRendu with their LPS. Very synergistic combination.

I find noticeable improvements using a balanced Danacable and would definitely miss it if had to go back to just the stock. But if hadn’t heard the Danacable, would certainly find stock enjoyable. Warm tones and good bass.

But my point about the Arche, is you don’t have to spend crazy amounts of money to achieve excellent results with the Utopia. Think might come down to the specific settings for the headphones. Think someone said it’s actually setting for voltage level and is the same for a certain set of Focal’s and not any kind of EQ. Whatever it’s doing, seems to give it the right balance.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #14,044 of 20,644
Do the Utopias work well direct from the Chord TT2 or do you need a head amp to get the best from them? On the TT2 thread most find its hp output excellent. But thought I would ask here as you know the Utopias best. Thanks

Feb 7, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #14,045 of 20,644
If it is a large difference, then I agree. If we are talking fine differences in detail, then only direct comparisons are reliable as musical memory lasts minutes at most, if not seconds.

That being said, I get your point. The Arche is a good match. Tks.

Feb 7, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #14,046 of 20,644
Do the Utopias work well direct from the Chord TT2 or do you need a head amp to get the best from them? On the TT2 thread most find its hp output excellent. But thought I would ask here as you know the Utopias best. Thanks

It pairs very well with the TT2 and has more than enough power

Feb 8, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #14,047 of 20,644
Is there a difference in the headphones themselves, between the current version of Utopia and the previous version? I know there was a change in supplied cables and case with the new version, but wonder if the headphones themselves were changed at all.
Also wonder if the new cable is better than the previous one? As it has a 1/4" jack, which I need for the TT, the previous cable is more suitable for me.
Thanks again for your help.

Feb 8, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #14,049 of 20,644
Is there a difference in the headphones themselves, between the current version of Utopia and the previous version? I know there was a change in supplied cables and case with the new version, but wonder if the headphones themselves were changed at all.
Also wonder if the new cable is better than the previous one? As it has a 1/4" jack, which I need for the TT, the previous cable is more suitable for me.
Thanks again for your help.
I was a bit chagrined when I first saw the stock cable; it looks and feels like a lamp cord! Danacables should be arriving today!

Feb 8, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #14,051 of 20,644
Thanks. Interested to hear what differences you notice with the Danacable. What equipment are you using the Utopias with?

Not sure if the Danacable is available in the UK where I am based ...
I wish I was based in the UK; I'm a Britophile as well as an audiophile! My source is ALAC files on iTunes on my iMac; I run that into my RME ADI-2 DAC and in turn into my Quicksilver Audio tube headphone amp. I'd post a picture of it but I haven't been here long enough to be able to do that. Really sounds beautiful, dripping with tube richness... After I've broken them in for 100 hours or so, I'll let you know what I think!

Feb 8, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #14,052 of 20,644
I was a bit chagrined when I first saw the stock cable; it looks and feels like a lamp cord! Danacables should be arriving today!

The Danacable is like a thick power cord, much thicker than the stock cord. It does look fancy and makes a noticeable difference. Think they recommend to burn it in for 100 hours. Can’t say I heard any difference after the burn in. I was able to tell the difference from the stock cable immediately. I still say it’s a better upgrade than a new amp. It really brings out the fullest in the Utopia.

Also I’d think they can ship international. Believe just based out of Colorado.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #14,053 of 20,644
The Danacable is like a thick power cord, much thicker than the stock cord. It does look fancy and makes a noticeable difference. Think they recommend to burn it in for 100 hours. Can’t say I heard any difference after the burn in. I was able to tell the difference from the stock cable immediately. I still say it’s a better upgrade than a new amp. It really brings out the fullest in the Utopia.

Also I’d think they can ship international. Believe just based out of Colorado.
That's good to know - the guy who makes the cables did indeed suggest 100 hours burn-in time, but I'm glad that you can tell a big difference over the stock cable right out of the box; then they'll continue to get better over the next 100 hours or so...

Feb 8, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #14,054 of 20,644
That's good to know - the guy who makes the cables did indeed suggest 100 hours burn-in time, but I'm glad that you can tell a big difference over the stock cable right out of the box; then they'll continue to get better over the next 100 hours or so...

First place I heard the difference was the vocals were clearer. Then electric guitar more more metallic, crunchy sound. And richness to the mids. Let me know what you think.

Feb 9, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #14,055 of 20,644

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back