Focal Utopia General Discussion
Feb 2, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #13,966 of 20,644
When I first looked at Utopia, and looked up beryllium, it was scary. It nearly stopped me dead in my tracks.

However as I read on, I realised it was unlikely that particles of beryllium were going to break off from the drivers. I read that beryllium forms an oxide layer and does not oxidise beyond that. It's not like steel or iron that once oxidisation starts, it goes on until the metal is gone. Like, with parts of oxidised metal breaking off until there is nothing left. (Unless you subject it to alkaline or other chemicals, it's unlikely to change or diffuse anything.)

Beryllium is a brittle metal, and in pure form a strong metal. It's not vulnerable to stress deformation because of this, so minute particles are not likely to break off. If I am not incorrect, it's Beryllium's not flexing that contributes to the driver accuracy. Plus with it being very light it can move easily, hence the accurate sound reproduction. It's lightness means that it can move without much inertial resistance. Meaning it's probably not exposed to even the potential for stress deformation either, as a driver.

Focal do put a beryllium warning in their manual. All in all it suggests that as long as you adhere to normal care, then it's fine to use. Am sure if there were cases of beryllium health problems with Focal speakers and the Utopia, we would know. It would be very widely publicised and discussed.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #13,967 of 20,644
Also to further add to the beryllium discussion. Lets not forgot its not just Focal who uses the material in their audio equipment.

Paradigm's Signature series uses beryllium in their tweeters and the new Persona series uses it in their mid frequency drivers as well. James audio uses it in their high end lineup for their tweeters. Revel Speakers in their PerformaBE and Ultima2. Sonus Faber on multiple line ups as well.

I am sure there are many more. If there were any issues when it came to drivers somehow releasing beryllium particles with excessive use we would have known by now.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #13,968 of 20,644
Pretty much everything is considered safe... until it isn't.

However, being concerned about proximity to a solid, having a similar effect to inhaling that solid in powder form is... well.

Especially where the solid is highly resistant to being made into a powder. Beryllium has exceptional stiffness (Young's modulus 287 GPa) and a melting point of 1287 C.
Oh, exactly...I agree 1,000%. As I pointed out in the part of the post you didn’t quote is that I own both the Utopia and Stellia. I enjoy them every day and I’m not worried. Unfortunately some members here have a tendency to denigrate others for their perspective. @Deolum elected not to buy the Utopia; I believe it’s safe based on current science and went ahead with the purchase. I’m defending his perspective; not his choice.

Feb 2, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #13,969 of 20,644
When I first looked at Utopia, and looked up beryllium, it was scary. It nearly stopped me dead in my tracks.

However as I read on, I realised it was unlikely that particles of beryllium were going to break off from the drivers. I read that beryllium forms an oxide layer and does not oxidise beyond that. (Unless you subject it to alkaline or other chemicals, it's unlikely to change or diffuse anything.) It is a brittle metal, and in pure form a strong metal. It's not vulnerable to stress deformation because of this, so minute particles are not likely to break off. Plus with it being very light it can move easily, hence the accurate sound reproduction. It's lightness means that it can move without much inertial resistance. Meaning it's probably not exposed to even the potential for stress deformation either, as a driver.

Focal do put a beryllium warning in their manual. All in all it suggests that as long as you adhere to normal care, then it's fine to use. Am sure if there were cases of beryllium health problems with Focal speakers and the Utopia, we would know. It would be very widely publicised and discussed.
That word unlikely was exactly that what worried me.

Now i also had a extremely allergic reaction when handling the Utopia. I never had this before and from the moment i put it back in his box it faded away. Of course it's also unlikely that its based on the Utopia but those two facts together with the fact that i found it a bit fatiguing, mainly because of it's details and the density of sound, made me return an otherwise perfect sounding headphone.

Feb 3, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #13,975 of 20,644
I just use the Focal case, it's pretty nice and fairly sturdy.
The only problem with the case that I have is its a pain to get the original focal cable in there (pre 2020 SKU) as it is very long. Might have to look into buying a shorter cable.

Feb 3, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #13,978 of 20,644
I can see that. I've got a couple of cables and they all fit pretty well, but I've never tried to fit the stock cable.

Yeah this would have been a bit of an issue too (it fits but not easily) but no more as I got a replacement made which is so much nicer.

Gah still tempted 🤣

Feb 3, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #13,979 of 20,644
That word unlikely was exactly that what worried me.

Now i also had a extremely allergic reaction when handling the Utopia. I never had this before and from the moment i put it back in his box it faded away. Of course it's also unlikely that its based on the Utopia but those two facts together with the fact that i found it a bit fatiguing, mainly because of it's details and the density of sound, made me return an otherwise perfect sounding headphone.

Well I had to use the word 'unlikely' because I am not a metallurgy expert. I read from a Britannica webpage among others, and my conclusion is what I wrote above.

There is a Head-Fi website covering this to some extent. Post #31 of 139 Some useful links.

Feb 3, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #13,980 of 20,644
Hi all - I've had Utopias for about 4 months now, and have been using them with my Lyr 3 - I also have Meze Empyrean and HifiMan HE-1000 v2 - I really enjoyed them with that, but I experienced a lot of what other people have mentioned; constricted soundstage, a bit light in the bass, and a bit harsh in the trebles; great phones, but I couldn't understand all this 'best headphone in the world' hype that used to go around. A few days ago I got a Quicksilver Headphone Amp, all tube class-A, and while all my headphones sound much better through that, it's like it was made for Utopia - it expands the soundstage, adds heft and body to the bass, and rolls of highs just enough to avoid harshness and shoutiness. I never knew music could sound like this and I understand the hype now - so much 3D/holographic sound going on. This amp totally rocks and for $1000, it's serious value for money. I'm new here or I'd put up a photo of it, but I can't recommend it enough to anybody with Utopias - there is real magic in those cans, but you need the right amp to bring it out....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back