Focal Utopia General Discussion
Feb 4, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #13,996 of 20,796
Thanks for this I was looking to buy a shorter 4.4MM balanced cable for my portable setup and went ahead and pulled the trigger on one of them from these guys.

In terms of affordable cables with reasonable specifications:

https://aresaudiosg.com/collections/headphone-cables/products/daybreak

I bought their silver one in the end:

https://aresaudiosg.com/collections/headphone-cables/products/twilight

This is mostly because it was available for demo and I was quite happy with the sound. I didn't compare the copper to the silver back to back, or the silver against the stock xlr (different terminations), but it is far more comfortable than the (pre-2020) stock cable and the build quality is great.

Feb 4, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #13,997 of 20,796
Thanks for this I was looking to buy a shorter 4.4MM balanced cable for my portable setup and went ahead and pulled the trigger on one of them from these guys.

Awesome! I'd love to hear impressions once you get the cable

Feb 4, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #13,998 of 20,796
Thank you for the kind welcome! If my wallet could speak, it would scream at what I've been doing to the poor thing. And I've also got ZMF Verite Open and Abyss Diana V2 coming within the next few weeks! Yes, I will be putting a lot of these up for sale, as well as my iFi ICANN (forgot to mention that one earlier) and my Hugo 2; they are both fine pieces of gear, but I liked the RME over the Hugo 2 and I could just never really connect with that iFi - I preferred the Lyr 3 at about 1/3 the price.

Interesting collection you have there!

In my journey, I had Utopia, but then changed it become Verite Open and Diana V2. So now I'm curious how you compare all of them.

Feb 4, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #13,999 of 20,796
It is meant to be a great pairing with Utopia. I suppose I was turned off by the ergonomics of the thing. Massive!
Compared to the $800 Elrod power cable I've got in my big living room speaker system, that cable is a length of spaghettini! But I know what you mean about weight; it's one reason I never even considered anything like an Audeze LCD-4, as good as it seems to sound.

Feb 4, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #14,000 of 20,796
Interesting collection you have there!

In my journey, I had Utopia, but then changed it become Verite Open and Diana V2. So now I'm curious how you compare all of them.
Yeah, I've kind of jumped in to 'can-rolling' for the time being. Using the Lyr, I was having a real tough time trying to figure out what to sell and what to keep; with my new Quicksilver tube amp, Utopia is one cans to rule them all! But I'm really looking forward to plugging in those VO's and Diana V2's when they show up!

Feb 4, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #14,001 of 20,796
Thank you for the kind welcome! If my wallet could speak, it would scream at what I've been doing to the poor thing. And I've also got ZMF Verite Open and Abyss Diana V2 coming within the next few weeks! Yes, I will be putting a lot of these up for sale, as well as my iFi ICANN (forgot to mention that one earlier) and my Hugo 2; they are both fine pieces of gear, but I liked the RME over the Hugo 2 and I could just never really connect with that iFi - I preferred the Lyr 3 at about 1/3 the price.

LoL. I can hear your wallet scream from here! Quite a collection you are amassing there, I too would be interested to hear your thoughts and comparisons between the three headphones once the ZMF and Abyss arrive.

Feb 4, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #14,002 of 20,796
LoL. I can hear your wallet scream from here! Quite a collection you are amassing there, I too would be interested to hear your thoughts and comparisons between the three headphones once the ZMF and Abyss arrive.
You got it, THGM! Once I receive them, I'll give them a good 200 hours break-in time, like I did with the others, before coming to any conclusions.....

Feb 4, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #14,003 of 20,796
Utopia Vs. Arya.

PSX_20210204_173718.jpg

Utopia the master, Arya the disciple.
A direct comparison confirms once again that the Utopia, despite what is called a small stage, offers significantly more "room-information" than most headphones.

To compare, I set both headphones to Oratory's Harman curve settings.
In my ears, the Utopia offers a much higher resolution, higher dynamic, and at the same time it is less intrusive. Especially in the midds, the Arya sounds pretty harsh to me at times.

For me, the Utopia plays in a other league..

Feb 4, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #14,004 of 20,796
Utopia Vs. Arya.

PSX_20210204_173718.jpg

A direct comparison confirms once again that the Utopia, despite what is called a small stage, offers significantly more "room-information" than most headphones.

In my ears, the Utopia offers a much higher resolution, higher dynamic, and at the same time it is less intrusive. Especially in the midds, the Arya sounds pretty harsh to me at times.

It's funny about that 'small stage' - when I was using them with my Lyr 3, they did indeed have a rather compressed, close in to the head, stage. When I plugged them into my Quicksilver Tube Headphone Amp, that stage, and the whole overall sound, got a LOT bigger. I even preferred their sound to the HE-1000 V2, which still sounded very, very, good, but the Utopias were magic....

Feb 5, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #14,005 of 20,796
Utopia Vs. Arya.

Utopia plays in the Champions league on the top...and that for years now...and why? Its the only one that doing most right when you compare it to others....and that is what this Utopia makes so special 👍

NOMAX

PS.Lol

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #14,006 of 20,796
Utopia plays in the Champions league on the top...and that for years now...and why? Its the only one that doing most right when you compare it to others....and that is what this Utopia makes so special 👍

NOMAX

PS.Lol
I wish Spurs were playing in the Champions League, but we've been more like Apple earbuds of late. What kind of beer is that bottle in the background?

Feb 5, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #14,007 of 20,796
Feb 5, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #14,008 of 20,796
Today's main fight

20210205_125433.jpg
20210205_125501.jpg

Feb 5, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #14,009 of 20,796
They are both nice. They do things differently but are both nice. The Utopia are more in the league of the LCD4’s but the LCD-X’s are still nice. I have the Utopia,LCD4 and LCD-XC’s and I enjoy them all for different reasons.

Feb 5, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #14,010 of 20,796
Which do you prefer for edm?

Screenshot_20210205-131432_Neutron Player.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back