Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jan 1, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #13,576 of 20,644
Sorry this post is so personal, but I think this may be the best review I could give the Utopia/Arche pairing.

Today a dear friend died of Covid and three others tested positive. I did not want my sadness to bring others down, so I put my Utopias on connected to my new Arche. I am still testing the amp and thought Al Green could help. Over three hours past in the blink of an eye, I was just lost in the healing music of Al Green. I have never been this lost in music before; I forgot the headphones, amp etc. that is how good the Utopias are paired with the Arche! I really could not justify the expense of buying the Arche after losing my job in the pandemic, but the investment just paid me back with interest. I am not ashamed to say tears are rolling down my face as I write this, but no one in the house would understand, "getting lost in music" so I wanted to say thanks again to all of you who posted here. Without your guidance and information, I know my old amp would have been a good listen, but not a healing one. Thanks also to Focal for such great equipment and the discount. Additional thanks for the cable chat, I have started saving and will keep an eye open for any coming up for sale second hand.

May this new year be a more musical and healing one for us all, thank you.

Jan 1, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #13,577 of 20,644
Sorry this post is so personal, but I think this may be the best review I could give the Utopia/Arche pairing.

Today a dear friend died of Covid and three others tested positive. I did not want my sadness to bring others down, so I put my Utopias on connected to my new Arche. I am still testing the amp and thought Al Green could help. Over three hours past in the blink of an eye, I was just lost in the healing music of Al Green. I have never been this lost in music before; I forgot the headphones, amp etc. that is how good the Utopias are paired with the Arche! I really could not justify the expense of buying the Arche after losing my job in the pandemic, but the investment just paid me back with interest. I am not ashamed to say tears are rolling down my face as I write this, but no one in the house would understand, "getting lost in music" so I wanted to say thanks again to all of you who posted here. Without your guidance and information, I know my old amp would have been a good listen, but not a healing one. Thanks also to Focal for such great equipment and the discount. Additional thanks for the cable chat, I have started saving and will keep an eye open for any coming up for sale second hand.

Have you watched the new Pixar film Soul yet? It’s about being lost in music or anything else for that matter and you sort of transcend during those moments.

Jan 1, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #13,578 of 20,644
I will check it out, thanks. Transcending is a good way to describe it. Al Green is obviously spiritual, but I have listened to his music so many times that often it floats past me. This was very different.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #13,579 of 20,644
I will check it out, thanks. Transcending is a good way to describe it. Al Green is obviously spiritual, but I have listened to his music so many times that often it floats past me. This was very different.

I do think the Arche with Utopia’s is a magical paring. Just perfect synergy. Music has the right weight, warmth, and richness to it with a very good soundstage. I just sold my Chord Dave and was expecting a huge downgrade but that’s not the case if just factoring enjoyment.

I’m sure if I tried to go back and forth and do real comparisons I would see where the Dave wins for technical achievements and exact replication of instruments. But for just sitting back and listening to the music and getting lost in it, the Arche is wonderful with the Utopia’s.

Jan 1, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #13,581 of 20,644
You wouldn’t think it had that much influence on the sound but it does. I’m not very technical but I think of it like a pipe and the cable determines how easy the flow is. Now I don’t know how this can not only affect soundstage but also the tone. I can see how less resistance can help with dynamics.

But it’s not like a different cable makes it a different headphone. It has the same basic characteristics but different cable brings out some features more than others. For me, the Danacable Laszu Reference bring out that guitar crunch jangle more than without. Also feels a bit more dynamic. But to me the cable has more effect on the tone than switching from Dave to Arche.
I dont think there is a question as to whether the dave to arche or different cables would have more effect...the dave will allow different aspects of recordings to come through with more detail etc...the cable will modify that

Jan 1, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #13,582 of 20,644

not only do I understand how you can get lost in music but I find certain songs bring me back to good or bad places and certain melodies or sounds can elicit joy or sadness in me...I have listened to music alone and found myself with tears in my eyes for no particular reason so I completely understand

Jan 1, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #13,583 of 20,644
I do think the Arche with Utopia’s is a magical paring. Just perfect synergy. Music has the right weight, warmth, and richness to it with a very good soundstage. I just sold my Chord Dave and was expecting a huge downgrade but that’s not the case if just factoring enjoyment.

I’m sure if I tried to go back and forth and do real comparisons I would see where the Dave wins for technical achievements and exact replication of instruments. But for just sitting back and listening to the music and getting lost in it, the Arche is wonderful with the Utopia’s.

What setting you mostly using? The Utopia setting, hybrid or voltage?

Jan 1, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #13,584 of 20,644
What setting you mostly using? The Utopia setting, hybrid or voltage?

I’ve only tried the Utopia setting with low gain as suggested. Sounded great, haven’t try anything else. Was kind of tired of doing any comparisons and just wanted to enjoy the music.

Jan 1, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #13,585 of 20,644
I’ve only tried the Utopia setting with low gain as suggested. Sounded great, haven’t try anything else. Was kind of tired of doing any comparisons and just wanted to enjoy the music.
That's what I keep mine at having had it for a couple months - will be interesting to see where you eventually land

Jan 1, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #13,586 of 20,644
It depends on the music, I normally use the Utopia setting, but for some vocal music I prefer "voltage" which seems to enhance vocals a bit.

Jan 1, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #13,587 of 20,644
@ASIN condolences. Sorry for your loss and all the best with your other three friends.

and though he may not be of my denomination, it is the Reverend Al Green.
(I never checked of which church)

thank you for sharing

Jan 1, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #13,588 of 20,644
Awesome, I just unpacked these from storage as they haven't been used for the past year and the left earcup driver is NOT WORKING :D

Wow, and this pair was supposed to be from the new 2018 batch too.

I'm sorry to hear this. Just curious did you manage to go full blast when listening this back again?

I'm wondering why I heard on multiple forum entry (I forgot actually how many) this kind of case. But seems weird that you didn't hear it for a while suddenly it's kaput. If it's the voice coil is it better to hear it back and go slowly on the volume knob?

If this has been discussed I'm sorry to open this again, kindly help refer to the discussion if you want to help me understand. I'm just worried if I'm gone for a week trip and suddenly mine is broken.

Jan 2, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #13,589 of 20,644
it has been mentioned to me, with pictures, that (some of) these driver failures occur due to the connection (wires) of the connectors to the drivers not being robust enough. That is, they are not the most resilient for headphones that get moved around - let’s say unlike speakers that don’t get moved around that often.
these was shown to me a couple if years ago so obviously on earlier releases. Not sure if that might still be the case.

so that might be the case with these not working. Maybe they were moved around a bit.

personally i have not opened my utopias to have a look at this wiring or any other headphones so as to compare. If you have feel free to ad your views.

i’ll just keep mollycoddling mine and keep enjoying them and hope all stays well

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #13,590 of 20,644
I'm sorry to hear this. Just curious did you manage to go full blast when listening this back again?

I'm wondering why I heard on multiple forum entry (I forgot actually how many) this kind of case. But seems weird that you didn't hear it for a while suddenly it's kaput. If it's the voice coil is it better to hear it back and go slowly on the volume knob?

If this has been discussed I'm sorry to open this again, kindly help refer to the discussion if you want to help me understand. I'm just worried if I'm gone for a week trip and suddenly mine is broken.

Thanks for your kind words! :)

No sound at all from the left ear cup, unfortunately. :frowning2:

For me, after I bought them I heard about the failures and pampered by not using them much and using them on low volumes. Once I got my other HPs, I packed these very well and placed them in a cupboard for protection. Even this didn't save mine from having a suddenly dead driver.

I got into contact with our Focal distrubutor and he informed me that they are still under the 3 year warranty so no fear in having them fixed! :D

I wish you all the best and that you enjoy your pair for a long long time and a Happy New Year!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back