Focal Utopia General Discussion
Dec 31, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #13,561 of 20,796
NYanakiev, are you using a balanced or unbalanced amplifier to drive your headphones?

I have both- Hugo 2/Mojo and a Focal Arche.

Dec 31, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #13,562 of 20,796
NYanakiev, do yourself a solid and contact Vinh Vu at Danacable directly thru email. He knows more about the availability of Dana Robbins handmade cables than anyone else in the world. I too initially wanted a Lazuli Reference cable for my Utopias, but after communicating with Vinh he told me about a new Lazuli Ultra cable that he could offer me at a substantial discount. It won’t hurt to at least ask him.

I read some review where they compare the Reference to the Ultra. It seemed like technically the Ultra was better with more clarity but they thought it was a touch less musical. Didn’t have as sweet of a tone. Think also said bigger soundstage and dynamics but to me, the Reference is all about the tone. They also said the Ultra is even thicker cable.

You might want to see you can get both sent and compare.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #13,563 of 20,796
I read some review where they compare the Reference to the Ultra. It seemed like technically the Ultra was better with more clarity but they thought it was a touch less musical.

You might want to see you can get both sent and compare.
I am quite happy with the Danacable Lazuli Ultra cable that Vinh Vu sold me. It pairs very well with my Woo WA22 amp and Utopia hp’s.

Dec 31, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #13,564 of 20,796
I am quite happy with the Danacable Lazuli Ultra cable that Vinh Vu sold me. It pairs very well with my Woo WA22 amp and Utopia hp’s.

Had a word with Vinh Vu- he will let me know when they get a Ultra/Reference as a trade-in :)

Dec 31, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #13,565 of 20,796
Had a word with Vinh Vu- he will let me know when they get a Ultra/Reference as a trade-in :)
Right on NYanakiev. You gotta be patient in this audiophile game kid. I looked at damn near every high-end boutique hp cable available on earth. Okay, that was an exaggeration. I’ve only heard of a couple of folks who’ve sold or traded a Danacable for something else. One gentleman sold his Lazuli Reference for a WireWorld cable. The other was the person who didn’t want the cable that I got because they wanted the Danacable Nirvana cable. And for gods sake don’t look at the price of the Nirvana! You’ll faint.

Dec 31, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #13,566 of 20,796
Right on NYanakiev. You gotta be patient in this audiophile game kid. I looked at damn near every high-end boutique hp cable available on earth. Okay, that was an exaggeration. I’ve only heard of a couple of folks who’ve sold or traded a Danacable for something else. One gentleman sold his Lazuli Reference for a WireWorld cable. The other was the person who didn’t want the cable that I got because they wanted the Danacable Nirvana cable. And for gods sake don’t look at the price of the Nirvana! You’ll faint.
Wow—I really want to try those but I’m pretty satisfied with my moon audio silver dragon with the Utopia and black dragon cables with the Stellia. I also have ZMF 2k cables. I’m not a cable skeptic, but I really wonder how much “better” they can be. I’m sure I’ll find out at some point :sweat_smile:

Dec 31, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #13,567 of 20,796
Wow—I really want to try those but I’m pretty satisfied with my moon audio silver dragon with the Utopia and black dragon cables with the Stellia. I also have ZMF 2k cables. I’m not a cable skeptic, but I really wonder how much “better” they can be. I’m sure I’ll find out at some point :sweat_smile:

I had the Danacable LR and Moon Audio Silver Dragon at the same time, and preferred the Silver Dragon. Black Dragon with Stellia is also very good and I totally regret selling my Black Dragon. The only cables I thought were better were the Arctic Cables Signum+ and Palladium (better, but not night and day better).

Vinh Vu is a great guy to work with. And they have a return policy for their stock cables. So no harm trying. I did return an LR for an Abyss once, as the stock cable sounded more engaging. Although, I have actually just recently received a new Danacable LR to pair with an incoming Verite Open.. Perhaps I should try going up the line ie ultra/nirvana.

Dec 31, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #13,568 of 20,796
I was skeptical about how much improvement can a cable bring until upgrading to AC Signum cable 🙂

Dec 31, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #13,569 of 20,796
I had the Danacable LR and Moon Audio Silver Dragon at the same time, and preferred the Silver Dragon. Black Dragon with Stellia is also very good and I totally regret selling my Black Dragon. The only cables I thought were better were the Arctic Cables Signum+ and Palladium (better, but not night and day better).

Vinh Vu is a great guy to work with. And they have a return policy for their stock cables. So no harm trying. I did return an LR for an Abyss once, as the stock cable sounded more engaging. Although, I have actually just recently received a new Danacable LR to pair with an incoming Verite Open.. Perhaps I should try going up the line ie ultra/nirvana.

The Arctic Cables Signum+ is significantly cheaper than the LR, very tempted to order one in.

Dec 31, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #13,570 of 20,796
The Arctic Cables Signum+ is significantly cheaper than the LR, very tempted to order one in.

you should! quite a few folks here have tried the signum+ with good results. also, from the recent pics ive seen posted, AC have upped their game with regards to the build and construction quality of their cables. the best part of AC is dealing with Roy and Val, who are a pleasure to speak with. i was always hesitant with pairing a silver cable with the utopia, but this cable really pairs well with it. it takes nothing away from the utopia strengths.

Dec 31, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #13,572 of 20,796
the signal passes through the cable. we pay tons of money for all the associated equipment, why wouldnt the cable matter?

Jan 1, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #13,575 of 20,796
the signal passes through the cable. we pay tons of money for all the associated equipment, why wouldnt the cable matter?

You wouldn’t think it had that much influence on the sound but it does. I’m not very technical but I think of it like a pipe and the cable determines how easy the flow is. Now I don’t know how this can not only affect soundstage but also the tone. I can see how less resistance can help with dynamics.

But it’s not like a different cable makes it a different headphone. It has the same basic characteristics but different cable brings out some features more than others. For me, the Danacable Laszu Reference bring out that guitar crunch jangle more than without. Also feels a bit more dynamic. But to me the cable has more effect on the tone than switching from Dave to Arche.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back