Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 23, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #12,887 of 20,644
They're not IEMs, they're headphones but it doesn't really matter.

The sensitivity at 1 mW power is the same between the Clear and Utopia. Power = I * V = sensitivity, so Iutopia * Vutopia = Iclear * Vclear, so the current is decreasing proportionally to the increase in voltage to maintain the same loudness given the same amount of power? I'd assume this would depend on what source you're using?

There are few additonal factors:
- Earpad seal and condition. Probably you get more seal with Utopia (also the leather material helps in this case), and when you use Utopia, somehow your ears place nearer to driver compare to when you use Clear. Even though the driver rate the same sensitivity, ohm, etc, this could lead slight difference in volume.

- Yes, the sensitivity is the same, doesn't mean every amplifier in the market will behave the same towards these two headphones. Like Frankie wrote, you need to calculate voltage and ampere here, and also the impedance output of your amplifier.

- Impedance in dynamic driver is not always flat. Could be in certain frequencies (especially low notes), they become higher, or much higher depend on the driver system itself. The sensitivity at 1 kHz could be the same, doesn't mean it's flat from 20 Hz to 20kHz

Sep 23, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #12,888 of 20,644
They're not IEMs, they're headphones but it doesn't really matter.

The sensitivity at 1 mW power is the same between the Clear and Utopia. Power = I * V = sensitivity, so Iutopia * Vutopia = Iclear * Vclear, so the current is decreasing proportionally to the increase in voltage to maintain the same loudness given the same amount of power? I'd assume this would depend on what source you're using?
Yes, I mean headphones or any speaker for that matter.

Power or Watts = I *V as you stated. But you still use Ohm’s Law as well. Since V =IR, at a given Volume setting, if the resistance is increased the voltage must increase. So V increases for a headphone with a higher resistance. Since W (power) = I*V the power or wattage has now been increased. Either way your volume is going to go up based on the current being constant (as it should be with a good supply and at these low levels).
You bring up the manufacturer’s sensitivity measurement. I have no idea how they measured it or how accurate. But based on the formulas mentioned, the volume will increase in the headphone with the higher resistance.

At this point, this is pretty much where my basic understanding ends. If you need more info, then hopefully a physics major is a fan to respond. Tks.

Sep 24, 2020 at 1:54 AM Post #12,889 of 20,644
Just started comparing my Utopia to my Clear.

My first impression is that the Utopia is fuller sounding due to more lower-mid bass presence with a slightly wider/deeper soundstage. As a result it also sounds louder.
There is more of a difference in deepness than wideness.
The Utopia sounds quite a bit darker than the Clear which isn't what I was expecting based on many people saying the Clear has more bass than the Utopia.

The Clear seems to have a sense of being more dynamic on percussion hits, but I believe this is due to the increased lower/midbass on the Utopia filling in the sound a bit and decreasing the gap between the treble and bass.

Testing with sine wave sweeps, they both have the same bass extension.
The Utopia has peaks around 2.7 kHz and 5.5 kHz while the Clear has a peak at 5.3 kHz.

The Utopia has less play time than the Clear, a few hours vs. a few days if you believe in burn-in.
That was quick
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-like-new-focal-utopia-with-5-year-warranty.943097/

Sep 24, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #12,890 of 20,644

Not for me, I usually sell headphones the same day I buy them :)
I don't feel like driving 2 hours to demo them :p
Check out my "About" page to see a list of headphones I've gone through.

I've owned the LCD-4, HD800S twice, HD820, MDR-Z1R twice, Eikon, Stax SR007, IER-Z1R...

Though I'm running out of stuff to try. I've heard most of it at CanJams, but that's not an ideal listening environment.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #12,891 of 20,644
Not for me, I usually sell headphones the same day I buy them :)
I don't feel like driving 2 hours to demo them :p
Check out my "About" page to see a list of headphones I've gone through.

I've owned the LCD-4, HD800S twice, HD820, MDR-Z1R twice, Eikon, Stax SR007, IER-Z1R...

Though I'm running out of stuff to try. I've heard most of it at CanJams, but that's not an ideal listening environment.
In that case then if you buy and try some new susvaras and don’t like them and want to sell them at 30% off rrp let me know as i might be interested.
The 3.5mm headphone connectors please

TIA

Sep 24, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #12,892 of 20,644
Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #12,895 of 20,644
Two weeks ago...i was visiting Vienna with my Utopia 😉

681316C2-9EEC-4B30-921C-B3410D5B3A4E.jpeg

F35F9A16-F458-44DE-954B-E7269F1C7F59.jpeg

C0996DC0-3ED4-423A-9422-E05C1B6CE19C.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.and also with another one

France vs Germany lol

573E407E-3447-45E4-9948-4CE84D40DA46.jpeg

DAFD92CF-9195-4FD2-8AF7-60919396B844.jpeg

Thanks to the Acoustics Engineers and Team Austrian Audio👍

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #12,896 of 20,644
Even if there would be a new (flagship?) headphone from Focal, it would probably be much more expensive than the Utopia and not be available tomorrow, but rather in a fews months or even half a year. Utopias are now changing hands for very reasonable prices and there are no really competitive headphones at similar prices imo (with Abyss Diana Phi being the only exception). So why not buy an Utopia now?

Cheers,
Bernie
LCD-4

Sep 25, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #12,900 of 20,644

Users who are viewing this thread

Back