Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jul 10, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #12,152 of 20,602
may i ask for a little more info of how you find the alo ss with the utopia and others/in general.

currently using an auralic taurus and waiting for a v280 but wondering if the alo ss is worth saving for and/or selling a few things.

i really enjoy my wa2 with my hd800 and auteur but considering getting a wa22 to go with my wa2 or look at the ss which a a stretch for me atm with my budget

any views appreciated
Well to me only, tube amp must be in Class A design in order to sound superb for any given hp.

Let see, demoed Utopia with Liquid Gold, Mytek, and some solid state hp amp back in late 2016.
Sounds ok but anything special.
Demoed one of Woo Audio tube amp, and it's was like holy smoke, could be WA2 or WA22 first gen.
Sounds are buttery smooth and fluid. Fast too.
So before I bought ALO SS, there were couple reviews about it.
That's when I just bought it and be happy.
Tubes rolling is fun.
Can't change your taste of sound with solid state amps.
Review by Curywong in Utube stating the the word " Fluid " is the word.....
To me , solid state amps, sound sterile.
ALO SS sounds Natural voicing, drums, percussion, guitar picks, cello, violin.
Just be careful with your tubes rolling for ALO. It can expensive.
Eyeing on Audio Euphoria tube amp also, but I believe ALO can beat that one easily.
I also have McIntosh 275 v5 for my 2 channel setup over McIntosh MA6300 Integrated amp. Outperform solid state eaily.

So, it's your choice.
Hope that helps.

Jul 14, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #12,153 of 20,602
Just received the WyWires Platinum cable. Was pleasantly surprised to get it today; I didn't get any updates or tracking number after placing the order.

I think build is as good as it can be, given the materials used. Very lightweight, simple design. After using furutech xlr connectors on all my other cables, the normal Neutrik ones feel really light!

Early impressions out of the bag vs Arctic Cable: wywires is very slightly more forward sounding with tad more emphasis on the highs. AC cable has better bass slam/impact and just a bit more midbass weight.

Time to run in the new cable!

Pics just for fun..

20200714_202054.jpg
20200714_202000.jpg
20200714_201939.jpg
20200714_203011-01.jpeg

Jul 14, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #12,154 of 20,602
Early impressions out of the bag vs Arctic Cable: wywires is very slightly more forward sounding with tad more emphasis on the highs. AC cable has better bass slam/impact and just a bit more midbass weight.

Pics just for fun..

I always wonder if that’s to do with the (thinner) gauge of the cable (ie the balance of what is emphasised with thicker cables adding more bottom end/fuller sound)

please keep us posted as/if things unfold in the future re how you acclimatise to It and/or burn in

ta

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #12,155 of 20,602
Just received the WyWires Platinum cable. Was pleasantly surprised to get it today; I didn't get any updates or tracking number after placing the order.

I think build is as good as it can be, given the materials used. Very lightweight, simple design. After using furutech xlr connectors on all my other cables, the normal Neutrik ones feel really light!

Pics just for fun..

looks good, did u manage to catch the sale or it's av1..

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #12,156 of 20,602
Jul 14, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #12,157 of 20,602

Pics just for fun..

20200714_202054.jpg20200714_202000.jpg20200714_201939.jpg20200714_203011-01.jpeg
Hi,
What's the Series for that AC?

Jul 14, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #12,160 of 20,602
Since I have been in communication with roasty and have the same AC cable, I can answer: it is the Signum + (UP OCC 7N silver, 26 awg, type-6 litz).

Thanks man!
Yep Signum+.

I let the WyWires run through the night; if it stays like it currently is after a week or two, I think the AC cable will stay..

Jul 14, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #12,161 of 20,602
Holy cow. I just added KT150s to my Prumaluna. Everything sounds great... then.. argh THEN! i put the Utopia on. What the What?! It is magic. MAGIC.
Headphones shouldn't sound better than speakers! omg.. i can't afford the upgrades i now must find/get. :frowning2:

I always really liked these headphpones. But only sometimes and some content. But i don't know what the PL is doing (with the KT150s).. maybe the extra power?
This are the best things i've ever heard! The sound stage is great too.
*sigh*

this is not a good thing. upgrading those tubes and I was *done*.. done! (for now)

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #12,162 of 20,602
Hey guys. Just got a new set of Utopia under warranty for having bad earpad glue. They replaced the headphones outright.

I initially sent them in because they asked me about the "goop" and because for the second time in three years one of the cables was drooping out of plastic nubby terminator.

Just did some looking to get a new cable and I looked at Kimber Kable. They say they don't use solder joints, but how do they do it when the connector is the proprietary Lemo connector?

My wife questioned me - what's going to make that cable different? I said it shouldn't fray or slide out because they don't use solder joints on their cables. She asked how is that possible with the Lemo connector?

Made me think, lol. So how is it done?

edit: nevermind I'm dumb. The 8 to 16 connection is seamless, not to the terminators. Yeah that'd be some magic extruding LOL.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #12,163 of 20,602
Hello Utopia owners,

I am thinking about another sidekick hp to use along with Utopia and HD800S....
Is Hifiman HE1000 v2 or se a good companion?

Will use with ALO Studio Six tube amp.

Appreciate if you could share your impressions if you have both Hifi and Utopia. Thanks...

Jul 15, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #12,164 of 20,602

Pics just for fun..

20200714_202054.jpg20200714_202000.jpg20200714_201939.jpg20200714_203011-01.jpeg
Give it at least 200 hrs of burn-in. I've had my Platinum for over 4 years so it probably has well over 1000 hrs since I've used it to burn in several headphones for 200 hrs each. I've compared the Platinum to several cables in the $600-800 price range and it always comes out on top. I use my Platinum on my Utopia, Susvara, LCD 4z and all of my ZMF headphones. My Platinum has mini XLRs on the headphone end and I have adapters made by Alex with the Platinum wire for Utopia and Susvara.

Jul 15, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #12,165 of 20,602
Hello Utopia owners,

I am thinking about another sidekick hp to use along with Utopia and HD800S....
Is Hifiman HE1000 v2 or se a good companion?

Will use with ALO Studio Six tube amp.

Appreciate if you could share your impressions if you have both Hifi and Utopia. Thanks...
Utopia and HEKv2 ==> HEKse here.

Interesting contrast between HEKs & Utopia. HEKs have MUCH bigger headstage in all three dimensions. Also, more bass, especially from HEKse. To be clear, I'm not criticizing Utopia bass. Just saying there's more bass from HEK. I would say that Utopia may have the 'tightest' bass of any cans I've heard. HEKs lean that direction, but not quite as tight/controlled.

Overall, HEKs sound 'softer' than Utopia, which can sound a bit 'sharp'. Definitely a more laid-back sound from HEK and more 'demanding' sound from Utopia. Those sentences are probably saying the exact same thing twice :)

But tonality and overall character aren't 'that far' apart. All three seem relatively 'neutral', with Utopia seeming to have some elevation in the upper-mid/treble region. Meanwhile Utopia is probably the most detailed, but HEKs don't lack there. Utopia is certainly the most demanding as far as your source chain. I had to move a lot of things around with my chain before Utopia really rewarded me. HEKs seem much more forgiving. To my ears, their biggest failing was that with some systems they could seem too laid-back (especially with my Denafrips Pontus ==> Bryston BHA-1 chain).

I can't comment on the Studio Six/HEK pairings. In fact, I've never listened to a 'full tube' amp, only SS & hybrids.

All my ears/your ears of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back