Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jul 15, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #12,166 of 20,602
Utopia and HEKv2 ==> HEKse here.

Interesting contrast between HEKs & Utopia. HEKs have MUCH bigger headstage in all three dimensions. Also, more bass, especially from HEKse. To be clear, I'm not criticizing Utopia bass. Just saying there's more bass from HEK. I would say that Utopia may have the 'tightest' bass of any cans I've heard. HEKs lean that direction, but not quite as tight/controlled.

Overall, HEKs sound 'softer' than Utopia, which can sound a bit 'sharp'. Definitely a more laid-back sound from HEK and more 'demanding' sound from Utopia. Those sentences are probably saying the exact same thing twice :)

But tonality and overall character aren't 'that far' apart. All three seem relatively 'neutral', with Utopia seeming to have some elevation in the upper-mid/treble region. Meanwhile Utopia is probably the most detailed, but HEKs don't lack there. Utopia is certainly the most demanding as far as your source chain. I had to move a lot of things around with my chain before Utopia really rewarded me. HEKs seem much more forgiving. To my ears, their biggest failing was that with some systems they could seem too laid-back (especially with my Denafrips Pontus ==> Bryston BHA-1 chain).

I can't comment on the Studio Six/HEK pairings. In fact, I've never listened to a 'full tube' amp, only SS & hybrids.

All my ears/your ears of course.
@MCMusicLover, thank you very much for your impressions between HEKs vs Utopia.
My chain of sources is very good to my ears...

Jul 16, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #12,167 of 20,602
@MCMusicLover, thank you very much for your impressions between HEKs vs Utopia.
My chain of sources is very good to my ears...
I have the utopia and hekse and hd800. With my woo wa2 the hd800 is the most laid back of three. I’m using the auralic taurus with the other two.

though different on presentation, to an extent, the utopias and hekse are in the same end of town.

the empyreans will give you something different. i have that too. Not sure how it will sit with alo ss. I understand how some people really like the empyrean (eg currawong review on youtube) and how some don’t (eg metal 571 on youtube).

other than the empyrean, depending on your budget, to look for something different you could look at an audeze 4 or zmf. I have an auteur. It’s like an hd600 on steroids. very neutral and even but not as magical as the utopia or hekse - nuce touch of wood sound for acoustic music (think unplugged albums). Maybe the verite would offer something interesting. I have not heard those at all.

the susvaras would be great but the ss would not have enough power. Probably the same for the lcd 4 too.

so from there maybe sus out the verites if you can

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #12,168 of 20,602
... to an extent, the utopias and hekse and in the same end of town.
Well put -- you have summarized my opinion quite succinctly

Jul 16, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #12,169 of 20,602
Well put -- you have summarized my opinion quite succinctly
however i bought the hekse first and when i wanted a fuller sound (and the utopias were on special) i bought the utopias

i think, but not definite, if i had bought the utopias first i may not have bought the hekse.

But it’s hard to sell either now as they both suit my typical preferences ie what i want most of the time I probably would only sell the hekse if I bought the susvaras - if i had the right amp and budget. I can’t see myself selling the utopias at all regardless of what else i have

i really dig this review both in it’s (and the youtuber’s) style/vibe and the “jangle” he mentions - it’s spot on - the jangle! and the tamborines he mentions (stevie wonder) :)

Jul 16, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #12,170 of 20,602
...i think, but not definite, if i had bought the utopias first i may not have bought the hekse...
For me it was HEKv2 -- Utopia -- HEKse

I REALLY like the wide-open/airy headstage of the HEK. While I agree that they are close together, to me, this makes the listening experience very different, and worth owning both. JMHO of course.

Jul 16, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #12,171 of 20,602
For me it was HEKv2 -- Utopia -- HEKse

I REALLY like the wide-open/airy headstage of the HEK. While I agree that they are close together, to me, this makes the listening experience very different, and worth owning both. JMHO of course.
i agree.....but they are not cheap....but what’s done is done now :)

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #12,172 of 20,602
i agree.....but they are not cheap....but what’s done is done now :)
Yes, sold HEKv2 after getting the se -- defrayed a chunk of the cost. It ended up being a $700ish upgrade. And I paid (only !?!) $2300 for my Utopia on the Adorama open-box sale, although they had clearly never been opened.

But yes, these cans are expensive, as were my RAD-0, Auteur and Ether 2. I've pretty much hit the point where I'll only pick up something new if I can let something else go. Hedd have been quietly calling me, but I have no idea what I might let go.

Jul 16, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #12,174 of 20,602
Yes, sold HEKv2 after getting the se -- defrayed a chunk of the cost. It ended up being a $700ish upgrade. And I paid (only !?!) $2300 for my Utopia on the Adorama open-box sale, although they had clearly never been opened.

But yes, these cans are expensive, as were my RAD-0, Auteur and Ether 2. I've pretty much hit the point where I'll only pick up something new if I can let something else go. Hedd have been quietly calling me, but I have no idea what I might let go.
I’m in the same spot as in i would have to sell a hp to buy one.
Here in australia the utopia (which i was told a while ago by a store was hard to sell at rrp) and stellia are currently being sold as b stock for $3000 aud (about $2000 usd). Not the new accessories but older stock.
i haven’t quite been tempted to buy the stellia since i have the utopia and no need for a closed hp of that quality. It’s the same price as a new imac i intend to buy in the near future
https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/prod...eadphones-b-stock?_pos=2&_sid=4f3364f68&_ss=r
i picked up the utopia last year for $3500 (about $2400 usd). I think it was a black friday special (that we have adopted down here as an excuse for a sale). That Hp, from memory was made in 2017 - hence that confirms that it’s slow moving. I think that stock was related to a hot offer that was running a year before that at similar prices (on the focal range) for a week that I’m guessing from talking to my store reflected Focal offering stock to retailers at a better than usual price (based on quantity ordered by them) the clear and elears were dirt cheap too - that was back in 2018 (or early 2019)

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #12,175 of 20,602
I’m in the same spot as in i would have to sell a hp to buy one.
Here in australia the utopia (which i was told a while ago by a store was hard to sell at rrp) and stellia are currently being sold as b stock for $3000 aud (about $2000 usd). Not the new accessories but older stock.
i haven’t quite been tempted to buy the stellia since i have the utopia and no need for a closed hp of that quality. It’s the same price as a new imac i intend to buy in the near future
https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/prod...eadphones-b-stock?_pos=2&_sid=4f3364f68&_ss=r
i picked up the utopia last year for $3500 (about $2400 usd). I think it was a black friday special (that we have adopted down here as an excuse for a sale). That Hp, from memory was made in 2017 - hence that confirms that it’s slow moving. I think that stock was related to a hot offer that was running a year before that at similar prices (on the focal range) for a week that I’m guessing from talking to my store reflected Focal offering stock to retailers at a better than usual price (based on quantity ordered by them) the clear and elears were dirt cheap too - that was back in 2018 (or early 2019)
Ps i also cant justify buying the stellia to use on the go as i would have to buy the same cognac coloured overcoat/jacket and improve my personal grooming. By the time i did that the stellia would be outdated

1594944287323.jpeg

1594944335981.gif

Jul 16, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #12,177 of 20,602
I like that they found a model (in the background) with Stellia-colored hair :)

Jul 18, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #12,179 of 20,602
Anyone happen to own the Utopia and in looking for something to balance with it in a 2 headphone setup, consider Empyrean against D8000/D8000 Pro? Or any other suggestions for something warmer, smoother with bass.

I’ve listened to them all, though not together, and I own the Utopia already. I’m trying to find the best headphone to sit alongside the Utopia in a home rig. I use Stellia in the office.

Music preferences include mostly EDM, Chill/House, vocals, soundtracks and acoustic/Jazz music. No classical.

Jul 18, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #12,180 of 20,602
Anyone happen to own the Utopia and in looking for something to balance with it in a 2 headphone setup, consider Empyrean against D8000/D8000 Pro? Or any other suggestions for something warmer, smoother with bass.

I’ve listened to them all, though not together, and I own the Utopia already. I’m trying to find the best headphone to sit alongside the Utopia in a home rig. I use Stellia in the office.

Music preferences include mostly EDM, Chill/House, vocals, soundtracks and acoustic/Jazz music. No classical.

I had the Empyrean and sold it recently. It is a warmer headphone, and the thicker bass and midbass will accentuate that even more. The highs are comparatively less in your face. Mids are super sweet though; they're amazing for vocal jazz.

I sold it because it didn't get much play time compared to the Utopia and Abyss. It is definitely a more relaxing headphone.. I found it occasionally not engaging enough and I have fallen asleep quite a few times whilst listening with the Empyrean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back