Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 21, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #11,806 of 20,602
Yes, it is just too bad it lead to a 10% price increase. The carrying case is nice but not usd400ish nice (plus, I can buy it separetely). I assume that the cables are the same as the ones for the Stellia ... which I did not like much in regards to ergonomics AND sound.
Well, like most people I love a nice unboxing experience, but the fact is once I’m done and over the first blush of excitement, it’s just more stuff to store somewhere in case I sell the headphones. I use aftermarket cables, I already have several headphone cases and I don’t listen to the nice faux leather box it comes in. Honestly, I’d rather buy it in a blister pack and save $$$. I took a fair amount of abuse for a similar post over on the Stellia thread because many felt a luxury item like this deserves luxury packaging and I don’t disagree. I just wish there was a vanilla packaging alternative but it’s obvious Focal makes plenty from providing a little glitter with the headphones.

May 21, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #11,807 of 20,602
… I took a fair amount of abuse for a similar post over on the Stellia thread because many felt a luxury item like this deserves luxury packaging and I don’t disagree. I just wish there was a vanilla packaging alternative but it’s obvious Focal makes plenty from providing a little glitter with the headphones.

Really? Oh, I so share your opinion... in fact, any New Yorker would. With 0 storage space, I dump all packaging and I did so with the HD800S and Sony Z1R boxes as well. When I sold, the first question was, why no box bla bla bla. I got several hundred less because of that. I'd gladly discard any Utopia and Stellia box as well but I know I cannot ...

May 21, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #11,809 of 20,602
Can't make everyone happy. Or maybe they can and don't want to. Who knows.
Oh, I’m sure they want to make everyone happy; they just want to make an extra pile of $$$ from ”extras“ that cost next to nothing in bulk. Believe me, the packaging from my several hobbies would literally fill a small room if I put everything together in one place. I’d toss it, but if I ever want to sell something it’s usually a big hit in value if you don’t have everything. Like Hoegaardener70 I live in NY but I’m upstate in a large house so storage isn’t much of an issue but it’s still a huge pain.

May 21, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #11,810 of 20,602
Oh, I’m sure they want to make everyone happy; they just want to make an extra pile of $$$ from ”extras“ that cost next to nothing in bulk. Believe me, the packaging from my several hobbies would literally fill a small room if I put everything together in one place. I’d toss it, but if I ever want to sell something it’s usually a big hit in value if you don’t have everything. Like Hoegaardener70 I live in NY but I’m upstate in a large house so storage isn’t much of an issue but it’s still a huge pain.

Or maybe they don't want to manage multiple SKUs. I won't try to guess all the factors that come into play.

Used is always an option if the new kit isn't to your liking.

May 21, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #11,811 of 20,602
Or maybe they don't want to manage multiple SKUs. I won't try to guess all the factors that come into play.

Used is always an option if the new kit isn't to your liking.
I have both the Utopia and Stellia with “everything”. Simplicity is the heart of successful manufacturing and distribution; To be clear, if I owned Focal I’d do exactly what they are doing. I’m just whining, carping and complaining:beerchug:

May 21, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #11,812 of 20,602
As a new Utopia owner I'm really enjoying the extreme upgrade they provide me, but I'm running them from a Chord Mojo, which has been good enough, while of course not the best; but now the Mojo is acting up: cutting out, acting weird. It appears my five-year-old dac/amp is on the way out, I want to upgrade to something that the Utopia will work well with. I'm OK with up to $2,000, but I don't necessarily want to spend the entire budget if something less expensive will do the same job.

My question then is: what in the 2k and under range should I consider? I'm running from a Mac Laptop so I'll want a DAC and an AMP and ideally a combined DAC/AMP due to space and simplicity considerations. I'm not necessarily seeking the last .01% improvement one gains from a separate DAC and AMP. And it would be nice to have a little left over to spend on a balanced cable, but I'll run single-ended if needs be.

Last thing. I own the Stellia as well and sometimes I listen to through them at home instead when the environment is noisy. I assume that whatever works for the Utopia will work well for the Stellia... right?

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #11,813 of 20,602
Well, like most people I love a nice unboxing experience, but the fact is once I’m done and over the first blush of excitement, it’s just more stuff to store somewhere in case I sell the headphones. I use aftermarket cables, I already have several headphone cases and I don’t listen to the nice faux leather box it comes in. Honestly, I’d rather buy it in a blister pack and save $$$. I took a fair amount of abuse for a similar post over on the Stellia thread because many felt a luxury item like this deserves luxury packaging and I don’t disagree. I just wish there was a vanilla packaging alternative but it’s obvious Focal makes plenty from providing a little glitter with the headphones.
I like audeze's creator package for this very reason. Both my x and xc I bought this way.

May 21, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #11,814 of 20,602
As a new Utopia owner I'm really enjoying the extreme upgrade they provide me, but I'm running them from a Chord Mojo, which has been good enough, while of course not the best; but now the Mojo is acting up: cutting out, acting weird. It appears my five-year-old dac/amp is on the way out, I want to upgrade to something that the Utopia will work well with. I'm OK with up to $2,000, but I don't necessarily want to spend the entire budget if something less expensive will do the same job.

My question then is: what in the 2k and under range should I consider? I'm running from a Mac Laptop so I'll want a DAC and an AMP and ideally a combined DAC/AMP due to space and simplicity considerations. I'm not necessarily seeking the last .01% improvement one gains from a separate DAC and AMP. And it would be nice to have a little left over to spend on a balanced cable, but I'll run single-ended if needs be.

Last thing. I own the Stellia as well and sometimes I listen to through them at home instead when the environment is noisy. I assume that whatever works for the Utopia will work well for the Stellia... right?

If you like the Mojo then a used Hugo 2 seems like a logical upgrade.

May 21, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #11,815 of 20,602

Benchmark dac3 is a good option. I'm a big fan of the company.

May 21, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #11,816 of 20,602

I have the dac3b and the matrix xsabre pro, both of which I'm very happy with. These are in your price range. Otherwise, u can consider something like the topping D90 and use the balance cash for a nice cable.

May 21, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #11,817 of 20,602
I have the dac3b and the matrix xsabre pro, both of which I'm very happy with. These are in your price range. Otherwise, u can consider something like the topping D90 and use the balance cash for a nice cable.
The Benchmark DAC3 pairs great with the Utopia. eBay has one on the site. Build Quality and sound are incredibly well beyond expectations for the price range.

May 21, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #11,818 of 20,602
Oh sorry I missed out the dac/AMP part.

How about the Focal Arche? Pretty close to your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back