Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 20, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #11,795 of 20,602
I just purchased my Focal Utopia's and also purchased a McIntosh MHA 100 on Audiogon. I am using the single ended cable.

Can anyone provide me a starting point for the Output Power level and Output Impedance The Mac offers switchable Impedance of 8-40 ohms , 40-150 and 150 to 600 as well as Power outputs of 250mwatts or 1 Watt and I can use any combination.

Can any of these settings or combo's damage the Utopia's?

I read earlier in this thread the the 80 OHM Focals sound better on the lower impedance settings but I am confused. I am also considering buying a preowned Simaudio 430ha to try against the Mac and reselling at a slight loss the loser. Any comments here would be appreciated.

The Headphone amp will be connected to a Bryston SP3 and possibly directly to a Manley Steelhead phone stage.

Thanks for any guidance

May 20, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #11,796 of 20,602
I just purchased my Focal Utopia's and also purchased a McIntosh MHA 100 on Audiogon. I am using the single ended cable.

Can anyone provide me a starting point for the Output Power level and Output Impedance The Mac offers switchable Impedance of 8-40 ohms , 40-150 and 150 to 600 as well as Power outputs of 250mwatts or 1 Watt and I can use any combination.

I read earlier in this thread the the 80 OHM Focals sound better on the lower impedance settings but I am confused. I am also considering buying a preowned Simaudio 430ha to try against the Mac and reselling at a slight loss the loser. Any comments here would be appreciated.

The Headphone amp will be connected to a Bryston SP3 and possibly directly to a Manley Steelhead phone stage.

Thanks for any guidance

Congrats on your purchase!

If you have both Utopia and MHA100 in front of you, then you can experiment each setting to find the sound you like.

No, I don't think any setting will gives damage unless there a shortage circuit.

Also, safest way to test a set-up is always wear the headphone if you want to test how loud your amplifier can push the driver. Most likely you will damage your ears first before the headphone.

Again, if it's possible for you to A/Bing MHA100 and 430ha physically, then that's the best way to do. None of comment or review will give you better result.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #11,797 of 20,602

Thanks for any guidance
I can drive my Utopia with my Sony WM1Z. While the Utopia is an 80 OHM Headphone, I’m inclined to think the Mac would drive it on the lowest setting, but the 40-150 setting will probably end up being the “best” setting. I agree with TheMiddleSky that experimenting to find the sound you like Is a good approach!

May 21, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #11,798 of 20,602
Am I mistaken or is the Utopia in 2020 more expensive than last year? First of all, a couple of months ago there was a real wave of sales here (including me). There were plenty of focal deals in the web as well. In 2020 - nada. In fact, I even saw the Utopia with the 2020 packaging for 4400, a 10% increase of the MRSP four years after release. What is going on?

Ah well, that's what you get when you sell your favorite headphone.

May 21, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #11,799 of 20,602
Am I mistaken or is the Utopia in 2020 more expensive than last year? First of all, a couple of months ago there was a real wave of sales here (including me). There were plenty of focal deals in the web as well. In 2020 - nada. In fact, I even saw the Utopia with the 2020 packaging for 4400, a 10% increase of the MRSP four years after release. What is going on?

Ah well, that's what you get when you sell your favorite headphone.

Could be do to do with the newer accessories? Think they added a case and what not to it now, similar to Stellia.

May 21, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #11,800 of 20,602
i saw on a fb group that someone bought a utopia recently and got a replacement cos his unit was doa

replacement was a new set that had packaging like stellia but in black along w xlr cable in utopia termination

he later replied my comment saying that his AD did offer this particular new package since it came direct from focal but at a higher price

sorry i can't rmb how much exactly

May 21, 2020 at 5:05 AM Post #11,801 of 20,602
i saw on a fb group that someone bought a utopia recently and got a replacement cos his unit was doa

replacement was a new set that had packaging like stellia but in black along w xlr cable in utopia termination

he later replied my comment saying that his AD did offer this particular new package since it came direct from focal but at a higher price

sorry i can't rmb how much exactly

It was $4,400. Saw that post too and the new cables and leather case look pretty nice. I suppose the addition of that and the headphone case might be worth the $400 premium.

May 21, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #11,802 of 20,602
Hi all, I’m looking to get a desktop headphone amp for my Utopias preferably with both XLR and unbalanced RCA inputs, willing to go up to $6-7k but preferably closer to $2-4K. Could someone recommend a few amps I should look into that fall into this price range, have the XLR & RCA input options and work well with the Utopias?

Thank you!

I don't use a headphone amp. However have only read good things about the Benchmark HPA-4

May 21, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #11,803 of 20,602
Could be do to do with the newer accessories? Think they added a case and what not to it now, similar to Stellia.
It's on their website, new accessories:

box.png
grid-3.jpg

May 21, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #11,805 of 20,602
Finally! Took so long for Focal to understand Utopia also deserve a beautiful case. Even Elegia has it.

Yes, it is just too bad it lead to a 10% price increase. The carrying case is nice but not usd400ish nice (plus, I can buy it separetely). I assume that the cables are the same as the ones for the Stellia ... which I did not like much in regards to ergonomics AND sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back