Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 12, 2020 at 3:30 AM Post #11,776 of 20,602
Sorry for bringing it up again, but did the guy who had the black drivers in his Utopia let us know what the outcome with Focal was?

May 12, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #11,777 of 20,602
Of course you want them to make cables with connectors that suit you and other utopia owners and not worry about what a lot of others (who don’t have the utopia) might prefer

maybe they could mould the head band to best suit your head shape and a colour that matches your eyes the best :)

My Focal Clear’s have the same connector and it really looks cheap in comparison to the connector that is on the Utopia. To me, the connector of the Utopia looks more high quality. So I’d say it is a downgrade.

I find a strange that Focal decided to target customers who own the Focal Clear and Elear (who probably don’t have high-end cables for these headphones in the first place?). But c’est la vie as they say in French. If I am not the target customer, it is fine by me.

Actually, the AFC 2 headband matches any head shape. So I am not sure what point you are trying to make here as other headphones do this.

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #11,778 of 20,602
So I am not sure what point you are trying to make here as other headphones do this.
I too would have thought that the stellias would have the same connectors as the utopias since they are their top line.

However if one doesn’t have the utopias then i would think one is likely to have a headphone whose connectors are either 3.5mm or 4 pin mini xlr.

So from there and with the stellias being a little advertised as “on the go” options for “some” then i also understand why they have chosen the 3.5mm option. Like all their other headphones. Like the feedback i’ve read about “why do they use lemo connectors?”

i myself am waiting for headphone adapters from norne audio to work around the lemo connectors

the reason i wrote my post with a smile was because you started with “If Focal wants $3000 from me, they have to:”

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #11,780 of 20,602
Just emailed them. Nervously waiting for reply lol. And yeah, the seller is supposedly Focal's authorized distributor in my country.

On another note, is Hugo 2 a good pairing for Utopia?

Haha, yesterday Brian (k3ct) told me about you posted utopia "black magnet" in here, and that response from Focal actually surprise me as well.

Here is another "black magnet" that different unit from yours. I tried this headphone myself, and personally it sounds great like other Utopia I ever tried (only from memory, can not compare side by side with other unit). This unit also came from same source as yours, which is I believe distributor Focal products (include home audio stuff) at Indonesia.

IMG-20200207-WA0015.jpg

Too bad I don't know the series number, will ask my friend (who own this Utopia) about it.

Btw, yes Hugo 2 is a solid pairing. It was "a trend" for high end transportable set up around 2017 in Indonesia as well.

Last edited:
May 12, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #11,781 of 20,602
Haha, yesterday Brian (k3ct) told me about you posted utopia "black magnet" in here, and that response from Focal actually surprise me as well.

Here is another "black magnet" that different unit from yours. I tried this headphone myself, and personally it sounds great like other Utopia I ever tried (only from memory, can not compare side by side with other unit). This unit also came from same source as yours, which is I believe distributor Focal products (include home audio stuff) at Indonesia.

Btw, yes Hugo 2 is a solid pairing. It was "a trend" for high end transportable set up around 2017 in Indonesia as well.

IMG-20200207-WA0015.jpg

Too bad I don't know the series number, will ask my friend (who own this Utopia) about it.
Can't see the red color magnets even with close up.

May 12, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #11,782 of 20,602
All original Utopias from the past and also the new version(the package with the new Cables and the case) have the red magnets Lol

NOMAX

May 13, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #11,785 of 20,602
Hi all, I’m looking to get a desktop headphone amp for my Utopias preferably with both XLR and unbalanced RCA inputs, willing to go up to $6-7k but preferably closer to $2-4K. Could someone recommend a few amps I should look into that fall into this price range, have the XLR & RCA input options and work well with the Utopias?

Thank you!

Thanks to everyone who answered. To be clear, I should not have used the word “desktop”. I just meant non-portable. I’m looking for a full stereo component size unit and this will be used with the MSB Reference DAC in my main speaker-based system.

May 13, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #11,788 of 20,602
he got replacement with new unit (red magnet)

Oh that's great to hear! So he somehow got a fake set from a Focal dealer? Or is there some other reason why his had black drivers?

May 13, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #11,789 of 20,602
Oh that's great to hear! So he somehow got a fake set from a Focal dealer? Or is there some other reason why his had black drivers?

I don't think that's fake actually. I have few ideas in my mind about what probably happened with that unit (and also unit that I took photo above), but I don't want to wildly create assumption here.

May 13, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #11,790 of 20,602
I don't think that's fake actually. I have few ideas in my mind about what probably happened with that unit (and also unit that I took photo above), but I don't want to wildly create assumption here.
Good thing then you didn’t bring up the issue in this post then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back