Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 1, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #10,968 of 20,796
do not add an amp to the H2....totally unnecessary as the utopia is very efficient and the amp will rob you of the transparency....

Sep 1, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #10,969 of 20,796
Wow, you're not messing around - I'm not prepared to drop that kind of coin on a cable, at least not yet :wink: It's odd, I still have issues rationalizing spending so much on headphones, but I'll drop several magnitudes more on watches - strange haha

With that said I'd love to audition some higher end cables and see for myself. I can't say whether there's improvements to be had with specific cables (audible improvements that is) but I'll reserve judgment until I can test myself. I'm keeping an open mind!

Not sure how much this one is, but a review on it. https://www.hifiplus.com/articles/moon-audio-black-dragon-premium-v2-headphone-cable/

Looks like exactly what you are looking for.

Sep 1, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #10,970 of 20,796
Guys I’m wondering... I have the Hugo 2 and Utopia. Should I add an Amp as well? Would there be any benefit?

I don't have the H2 but I think getting a high end tube amp could be beneficial. I have an excellent SS amp, Luxman P700u, and a great tube amp, Auris Nirvana. For the last 3 years I've been using my P700u for all my headphones (Utopia, HEK SE, LCD 4z, and ZMF Verite). One month ago I purchased my tube amp and I really like it with my Utopia. As good as I thought the Utopia was with the 700u, I like the Nirvana better for adding body and soul plus a larger soundstage to the sound that I don't think even a great SS amp can match. In my opinion, finding an amp that matches your preferences can be beneficial.

Sep 1, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #10,971 of 20,796
I don't have the H2 but I think getting a high end tube amp could be beneficial. I have an excellent SS amp, Luxman P700u, and a great tube amp, Auris Nirvana. For the last 3 years I've been using my P700u for all my headphones (Utopia, HEK SE, LCD 4z, and ZMF Verite). One month ago I purchased my tube amp and I really like it with my Utopia. As good as I thought the Utopia was with the 700u, I like the Nirvana better for adding body and soul plus a larger soundstage to the sound that I don't think even a great SS amp can match. In my opinion, finding an amp that matches your preferences can be beneficial.

Hi,
I have an Auris ha2-se tube amp and had the utopia on dem for a good few days against my lcdx. I really enjoy the utopia on my amp but....there's a lower midrange hump (emphasis) on the utopia that comes through quite thickly with my amp (I see Naim are with Focal nowadays and they have much the same signature in their voicing as i used to have 15k's worth of their kit once) . I've seen a review saying the Nirvana has a higher reference sound, I'm thinking of getting one (just missed out on a xdem). Just wondering if you hear this with the utopia on the Nirvana?

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #10,972 of 20,796
I have not heard a lower midrange hump with the Nirvana driving the Utopia. I'll listen some more today and let you know. Have you tried rolling tubes in your HA2-SE?

Sep 1, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #10,973 of 20,796
I have not heard a lower midrange hump with the Nirvana driving the Utopia. I'll listen some more today and let you know. Have you tried rolling tubes in your HA2-SE?

It's more there than with the lcdx. The x is meatier in the lower registers so covers it up more. The utopia is just more resolving so it could be the just showing up the tubey nature of the amp?

Yes, enjoying the tube rolling. Have nos mullards (legendary mullard sound), jan 5814a ( a bit brittle sounding), phillips ecc82 (it's ok but there's much better about). The ones i enjoy most are Brimar cv491 nos 1969 date - Managed to get four of them. So Sweet sounding, don't have the fullness of the mullards but as the ha2-se is so easy to listen too (beautiful clean highs with no sibilance), I just prefer them a little more.
Took the advice from the Headfonia review of the the amp, and got myself 4x mullard El95's, there a bit better than the supplied stock tubes.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #10,974 of 20,796
IMG_4258.JPG
....i am not a big friend/fan of expenisive after market cables...i was trying and hearing a lot....try this one and your Utopia will sound much more dynamic and in few areas completly different

Regards from Austria

NOMAX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back