Focal Utopia General Discussion
Aug 28, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #10,937 of 20,554
Please, at risk of offending the Utopia community, I'd like to share thoughts as a potential buyer. Hopefully you will see that I mean no offence.

I recently read an older Hifi News of Hifi Plus review of the Utopia. (It was in their magazine and not an online review.) They said quite clear that they considered the Utopia balanced in terms of bass and treble. They practically gushed about how balanced it was.

The issue I am thinking about, is that the Utopia often gets criticism of brightness levelled at it. While some reviewers say that's not the case.

Notably Innerfidelity did an after review article about this. Just searching Focal Utopia Measurements, brings the link up first. https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/seven-focal-utopias-measured

He suggests that the Utopia he got for review was vaguely possibly aimed at his known warmer tastes.

Given I have thought of going to audition the Utopia, the idea of warmer audition models, is not in my mind. I have to say at this point, that my sources are Chord DACs, which are flat-line neutral. I can not possibly introduce brightness from my source. I have the Mojo, Hugo 2, and TT2.

Secondly I read about a cable upgrade for the Utopia, and mentioned it before. This thread was very enthusiastic in mentioning other cables and the love users had for them. (That was cool.) I would not be averse to buying the cable I read about. This one. https://www.hifiplus.com/articles/moon-audio-black-dragon-premium-v2-headphone-cable/

I am particularly fond of this review, because he discussed perceived bass lightness. Meanwhile not actually saying the Utopia is bass light. This is interesting because it makes me think about the Utopia detail level. In my limited experience, more detail can sound trebly, even when it is not. I wonder if this is actually what is going on with the Utopia. (My solution would be to audition Utopia with my self-chosen bass tracks from my music.)

It leads me onto another aspect though. Some graphs show Utopia with high peeks in the treble, a 10dB over the bass response. That would be bright to me. Some other measurements the Utopia with no treble peaks. Of course it depends on measuring equipment. Sound-wise brightness would be also dependant on source kit.

I am not really asking a question. I am thrashing out my thoughts, knowing that folk will know how to reply.
The problem with audio equipment reviews is their dependent on the reviewers personal tastes. If the person conducting the review preference leans toward a slightly rolled off treble, they may describe Utopia's treble as being bright when in reality it tends to be very accurate or natural. The reviewer may attend a lot of live club performances not taking into consideration that said acoustic environment often results in loseness and reverberation in the bass, over time they may start believing this is natural and as a result describe the Utopia as being bass light when in reality it's precise and clear.
Auditioning is the only sure way of knowing if the Utopia is right headphone for you.

Aug 28, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #10,939 of 20,554
In my experience, the Utopia is bass-light when the music is bass-light. It’s bass-heavy when the music is such. I’m biased though. I love how the Utopia makes me feel.
Oh yes, very very happy listener from my Utopia.
No other hp have matched Utopia so far.
Stax requires different designed amp.
Susvara and Abyss require expensive amps to drive them to their fullest.

Aug 28, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #10,940 of 20,554
i pop into the meze empyrean thread where the utopia is frequently compared to it. i've seen the utopia described there as "bright", "thin", "bass lite", "a two trick pony" and even "ordinary". i can't relate to any of these subjective impressions, and i doubt that those posters could relate to my impressions of the empyrean.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #10,941 of 20,554
i pop into the meze empyrean thread where the utopia is frequently compared to it. i've seen the utopia described there as "bright", "bass lite", "a two trick pony" and even "ordinary". i can't relate to any of these subjective impressions, and i doubt that those posters could relate to my impressions of the empyrean.

I have both empy and utopia and each has their strong points. When I first started with these cans I initially said I preferred the empy. But after some time, the utopia has come out on top and I am really enjoying all my listening sessions with the utopias. It is just such a great feeling when you are listening to a song and then all of a sudden realise you are head bopping and toe tapping to the music. And then u just smile and enjoy the music some more.

Aug 28, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #10,942 of 20,554
In my experience, the Utopia is bass-light when the music is bass-light. It’s bass-heavy when the music is such. I’m biased though. I love how the Utopia makes me feel.
I can attest to this statement. The Utopia's are true to source. Especially if you have good, quality upstream gear. I personally don't feel that the Utopia's are lacking bass. But there are headphones out there with more bass. I even own a few of them. But the Utopia's have quality bass that's fast. There are not many headphones out there that can compete with the Utopia's speed.

Aug 28, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #10,943 of 20,554
I have both empy and utopia and each has their strong points. When I first started with these cans I initially said I preferred the empy. But after some time, the utopia has come out on top and I am really enjoying all my listening sessions with the utopias. It is just such a great feeling when you are listening to a song and then all of a sudden realise you are head bopping and toe tapping to the music. And then u just smile and enjoy the music some more.

You might remember- a couple of days ago I opened up a discussions in both threads trying to help me identifying which one to sell. At the same time, I listened and compared to an unhealthy degree. The verdict is clear - I won’t sell any. They are a just a perfect match of being different. Both are sexy looking as well, again. Very different, classy vs eccentric and modern.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #10,944 of 20,554

I said the same thing about the Hugo 2, when it had accusations of being 'thin' levelled at it. Hugo 2 is an excellent DAC. TT2 is better of course.

It's encouraging to hear someone say the same about the Utopia. Like folk said though, I won't know until I audition. While at the same time, I came to that conclusion myself. However it's a shame that some folk have called the Utopia lean, bass-lite etc. It spoils the confidence some folk might have to buy without audition. If I could buy some headphones without audition I would. I know my source is neutral, so the rest is entirely down to the headphones.

I can't help wondering if I will go safe, and buy the Clear. (Partly because the Utopia is very expensive, and if I changed my mind afterwards, I would be in bits. I think I know what I am looking for in audition though.) I know I would be missing the stratosphere of TOTL headphones, with Focal Clear. However I'd still be listening to a sonic treat: Focal Clear and TT2.

I think the only thing that worries me about a Utopia audition, is the level of detail they have. Like I said above, detail can be mistaken from brightness. E.g. I have the AKH N40, and a while ago upgraded to the AKG N5005. At first I thought the N5005 were perfect, with their better detail over the N40. Then I wondered if they had just upped the treble. I did an AB, to realise that the same fullness of sound is there on the N5005, as the N40. Just all that extra detail, sounds like a leaner sound. (Without the higher detail level on the N40 some sounds just sound thicker.) The N5005 have that same gorgeous balance, fullness, and loads of detail.

Meaning I think that may be what some folk hear with the Utopia. Detail being heard as leanness or brightness.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 6:49 AM Post #10,945 of 20,554
However it's a shame that some folk have called the Utopia lean, bass-lite etc. It spoils the confidence some folk might have to buy without audition.

It's not a shame, it just happens to be how that person hears that headphone. That's exactly why auditioning is a must when spending this kind of coin on a pair of headphones.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #10,946 of 20,554
It's not a shame, it's just happens to be how that person hears that headphone. That's exactly why auditioning is a must when spending this kind of coin on a pair of headphones.

Im in the camp that feels the Utopia is bass light.
Its strength is extracting detail- great for critical listening.
Not a "fun" headphone imo- no head bopping and toe tapping here.

Excellent advice- if at all possible, audition before purchasing.

Aug 29, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #10,947 of 20,554
I have the Axios AG cable and the Dakoni velour pads in my Utopia. They are the number 1 headphones in my collection including my electrostatic rig.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 29, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #10,948 of 20,554
HP's are very subjective and very dependent on the equipment and source which is why we get such wildly divergent takes on the same HP from different listeners not to speak of peoples different hearing abilities and ages etc

Aug 29, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #10,949 of 20,554
...It spoils the confidence some folk might have to buy without audition. If I could buy some headphones without audition I would...
It would be insane to spend $4k on a headphone without auditioning it. Good thing I only spent $2300 on Utopia...without an audition. :ksc75smile:

Aug 29, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #10,950 of 20,554
It would be insane to spend $4k on a headphone without auditioning it. Good thing I only spent $2300 on Utopia...without an audition. :ksc75smile:
Hopefully Nobody in this day is spending $4k on the Utopia or just about any other TOTL headphone......meaning there are too many discounts out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back