Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jun 24, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #10,771 of 20,644
Received my Lavricable Grand Line today. Build quality is very good. Cable itself is very light. Connectors connect with a nice confident click.

First impressions.. Vocals are more upfront. Definitely some increase in clarity of voices. High treble is more pronounced, and there is slight sibilance. Separation is definitely better than stock cable. Bass is tighter, but there seems to be less sub bass, less "oomph/slam". Soundstage seems similar to stock single ended cable.

I've got both cables (lavri and stock) connected to my amp and am switching back and forth to compare.

There is apparently a 150 hr burn in period (as per their website) so I'm hoping the highs will settle and the bass will improve after some time. Good opportunity to burn in the amp as well.
What you have described with the Lavricables, is what I have experienced from several silver cables......a little brighter, with slightly less sub bass.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #10,772 of 20,644
Jun 24, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #10,773 of 20,644
I am enjoying the solid state ecp DSHA-3F [Ravenswood], built by Doug Savitsky, which is impedance-matched for the Focal [Clear and Utopia].

i believe that doug developed that amp specifically for the utopia. it looks superb.

Jun 26, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #10,775 of 20,644
Hey All
I'm really interested in Stellia before i do purchase i want to ask few questions. Hope someone could help me.
1 Does Stellia easy to have Mechanical failure?
2 If i want to replace the cable, what's the best option?
3 Does USA have a dealer for Forcal?

Thanks

Jun 26, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #10,776 of 20,644
Hey All
I'm really interested in Stellia before i do purchase i want to ask few questions. Hope someone could help me.
1 Does Stellia easy to have Mechanical failure?
2 If i want to replace the cable, what's the best option?
3 Does USA have a dealer for Forcal?

Thanks
1 No, after three years of production, Focal sould have the voice coil issues worked out on their high end headphones.
2 Cable information can be found pertaining to Stellia under Headphones (full-size) in the Equipment Forums.
3 Yes, Focal has dealers in the USA.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #10,777 of 20,644
1 No, after three years of production, Focal sould have the voice coil issues worked out on their high end headphones.
2 Cable information can be found pertaining to Stellia under Headphones (full-size) in the Equipment Forums.
3 Yes, Focal has dealers in the USA.
Thank you for replying.
What's the dealers' name? Compare to purchase with the Amazon, what's the benefits to purchase with dealers?

Jun 26, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #10,778 of 20,644
Has anyone had a chance to A/B the Utopia with the ADX5000? I've read some comparisons here and there, but the more the merrier.

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #10,779 of 20,644
Has anyone had a chance to A/B the Utopia with the ADX5000? I've read some comparisons here and there, but the more the merrier.
I own both. The Utopia is the better headphone in terms of speed, punch, resolution, and overall SQ. But, it's close. The ADX5K has a wider soundstage, almost at HD800 levels, and is far more comfortable. Overall, I find the ADX more enjoyable for everyday listening while the Utopia is more enjoyable for critical listening sessions. If I could only choose one, it would be the ADX, but I'm glad to have both.

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #10,780 of 20,644
I own both. The Utopia is the better headphone in terms of speed, punch, resolution, and overall SQ. But, it's close. The ADX5K has a wider soundstage, almost at HD800 levels, and is far more comfortable. Overall, I find the ADX more enjoyable for everyday listening while the Utopia is more enjoyable for critical listening sessions. If I could only choose one, it would be the ADX, but I'm glad to have both.

Thanks for the response!

By the way, does your ADK5K creak?

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #10,781 of 20,644
Thank you for replying.
What's the dealers' name? Compare to purchase with the Amazon, what's the benefits to purchase with dealers?
Focal USA has a "find a dealer" feature on their website. There may be a dealer nearby which would allow you to audition the headphones before considering a purchase. Not sure about Amazon but some online dealers may not handle warranty issues in house. In other words, you may end beinthe one who has to
Thank you for replying.
Focal USA has a "find a dealer" feature on their website, there may be a dealer nearby which would allow an audition before making a purchase decision. Not sure about Amazon but some online dealers may not handle warranty issues in house. In other words, you may end up being the one who has to contact the US distributor for warranty repairs. It's always best to call around.

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #10,784 of 20,644
C46698C4-976F-4252-AD5E-8144FF66EF36.jpeg
These are my one-of-a-kind Foca Utopias.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back