Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 29, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #10,636 of 20,644
Just added utopia to my collection, after a flash sale over the weekend in my local headphone shop.

I like the hd800s due to the clarity, and the utopias really take that to the next level. Not fatiguing (but I never got that with hd800s either, but I know some people do), but everything just sounds so so 'natural' (or what I expect it should sound like) through the utopias.

Even with complex music (flume, infected mushroom, James Blake etc), every noise and instrument is clear and individual.

Flash sale was on elear,eliga, clear and utopia. Was very impressed with the elear initially, looks of foot tapping going on (a bit like hd650 to me). Eliga sounded very constrained (maybe I'm too used to open, even if wife keeps telling me to get closed ), and the clear seemed a bit veiled. When switching between elear and utopia, was a significant step up in clarity, just couldn't pass them by.

The main tradeoff of utopia to the likes of hd800s, lcd-x, pm-1, is the sound stage, certainly not as expansive, but what is there is unbelievably clear.

Looking forward to going through my collection, and have some decent time with some female vocals see what they're like ( Lana Del Ray, lykke Li, etc), bit of Floyd, bit of kooks, Blur etc.

May 29, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #10,637 of 20,644
Just added utopia to my collection, after a flash sale over the weekend in my local headphone shop.

I like the hd800s due to the clarity, and the utopias really take that to the next level. Not fatiguing (but I never got that with hd800s either, but I know some people do), but everything just sounds so so 'natural' (or what I expect it should sound like) through the utopias.

Even with complex music (flume, infected mushroom, James Blake etc), every noise and instrument is clear and individual.

Flash sale was on elear,eliga, clear and utopia. Was very impressed with the elear initially, looks of foot tapping going on (a bit like hd650 to me). Eliga sounded very constrained (maybe I'm too used to open, even if wife keeps telling me to get closed ), and the clear seemed a bit veiled. When switching between elear and utopia, was a significant step up in clarity, just couldn't pass them by.

The main tradeoff of utopia to the likes of hd800s, lcd-x, pm-1, is the sound stage, certainly not as expansive, but what is there is unbelievably clear.

Looking forward to going through my collection, and have some decent time with some female vocals see what they're like ( Lana Del Ray, lykke Li, etc), bit of Floyd, bit of kooks, Blur etc.
Welcome aboard. Wish we had a place locally to audition audio gear. I always assume people maybe listening at excessive volume levels when they say the HD800S/Utopia are fatiguing. HD800 and T1, now that's a different story.

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #10,638 of 20,644
Oh I’m not complaining. Have heard it on range of sources. From ODAC to Chord Hugo 2, and it sounds great on my Rotel. Personally I enjoy it out of my iPhone 6 to be honest.

Perfectly happy with the way it sounds. Don’t know if it could get any better for myself. Not sure what I’d change about the sound as I find the Utopia flawless.

Edit: I think I should add that with the best recordings there is not a hint of harshness. Should have had that in my earlier post. Was just appreciating why some might find it harsh in some cases

Yeah, that ODAC isn't giving you a glimpse of what the Utopia are really about. I'd suggest an upgrade there AND the cable (which is surprisingly poor IMO).

May 29, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #10,639 of 20,644
Yeah, that ODAC isn't giving you a glimpse of what the Utopia are really about. I'd suggest an upgrade there AND the cable (which is surprisingly poor IMO).

I’d disagree. Not into expensive and overpriced DACs. I’ve heard Hugo 2 and other on high end systems 100k+. Simply not worth it. Also, I don’t bother with DSD or high-res.

Like I said, completely happy with my setup. Also I have an aftermarket cable that came with mine. Not a cable believe either, whatever small changes they make - again no big deal.

The transducer is where it is at - and the Utopia shines here and can be easily powered. :)

May 29, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #10,640 of 20,644
I’d disagree. Not into expensive and overpriced DACs. I’ve heard Hugo 2 and other on high end systems 100k+. Simply not worth it. Also, I don’t bother with DSD or high-res.

Like I said, completely happy with my setup. Also I have an aftermarket cable that came with mine. Not a cable believe either, whatever small changes they make - again no big deal.

The transducer is where it is at - and the Utopia shines here and can be easily powered. :)

I would classify the ODAC as an entry level DAC that I wouldn't consider for anything even mid-fi, let alone in the Utopia range based on my years and years of experience and reviews. While I enjoy the Hugo 2 with the Utopia, it is still not the last word in transparency with these headphones. The metallic sheen you mentioned is just how I would classify the ODAC. Just my two cents...

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #10,641 of 20,644
I would classify the ODAC as an entry level DAC that I wouldn't consider for anything even mid-fi, let alone in the Utopia range based on my years and years of experience and reviews. Just my two cents...

My recommendations for those interested is not to wait on the Utopia. Don't buy $200 headphone with $3k of upstream gear. Don't buy a $1500 headphone with $1500+ of upstream gear. Buy the Utopia and decent, affordable upstream gear as it will be vastly superior to the alternatives.

@MacedonianHero there is little either of us could say to change each others opinion on DACs and there are many on both sides of the argument/belief. However, one thing is for certain, DACs are becoming increasingly easier to manufacturer for lower costs.

Should another option comes along that isn't super pricey, that say performs as well as a Chord Dave or what have you, sure maybe I'll bite. I'm sure a Apple Lightning cable outperforms my ODAC, maybe I'll get one of those :wink:

May 29, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #10,642 of 20,644
"However, one thing is for certain, DACs are becoming increasingly easier to manufacturer for lower costs."

I don't agree with this premise either for DACs that perform and sound "real". Sorry man. I suggest you try in-home longer term trials and move up the chain, when you get to your sweet spot then you're done.

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #10,643 of 20,644
...but a certain harsh precision...
Yep. I've called this 'sharp'. Not a sanctioned audiophile term :)

But the word captures the essence of what I hear. I've found that -- with the right tubes -- my Liquid Platinum amp driving Utopia through my Lazuli Reference cable pretty much eliminates this problem. And does so without killing the detail, precision and neutral tonality which make Utopia so special.

May 29, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #10,644 of 20,644
Okay I'll fix this for you:
"However, one thing is for certain, DACs are becoming increasingly harder to manufacturer for higher costs."

I don't agree with this premise either for DACs that perform and sound "real". Sorry man. I suggest you try in-home longer term trials and move up the chain, when you get to your sweet spot then you're done.

Thank you for the suggestion. Have done that, and not interested in the slightest. It is a case of the Emperor's New Clothes imo. I'm glad you find value in it though. My sweet spot is pretty large, as I enjoy everything from $20 in-ears (MaxRock sleep earphones), to my ER4SR (most used on a regular basis), to my Utopia. I have access to a wide range of headphones, speakers, dacs and amps as I'm connected with audiophile stores and have done marketing in the industry. A lot of people buy lots of stuff, and that's fine. I'm just not into it - same with vinyl, CD players on balanced rocker beds, 200k 2-channel setups.

The most important gear is the mind. Convince yourself what you are listening to is wonderful, and it is. Of course, that blade cuts both ways.

May 29, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #10,645 of 20,644
Okay I'll fix this for you:

Thank you for the suggestion. Have done that, and not interested in the slightest. It is a case of the Emperor's New Clothes imo. I'm glad you find value in it though. My sweet spot is pretty large, as I enjoy everything from $20 in-ears (MaxRock sleep earphones), to my ER4SR (most used on a regular basis), to my Utopia. I have access to a wide range of headphones, speakers, dacs and amps as I'm connected with audiophile stores and have done marketing in the industry. A lot of people buy lots of stuff, and that's fine. I'm just not into it - same with vinyl, CD players on balanced rocker beds, 200k 2-channel setups.

The most important gear is the mind. Convince yourself what you are listening to is wonderful, and it is. Of course, that blade cuts both ways.

With experience (long term exposure) that difference becomes more and more pronounced. And sorry, I still don't agree with your first statement. :)

Part of the fun of this hobby is trying many different things at various ranges and experiencing them. As price increases, there is no doubt that the law of diminished returns kick in, but I'm sorry, the ODAC is far from that point to my ears at least.

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #10,646 of 20,644
I believe it all comes down to value. As in what do you value. If your happy with your gear, your done. Good for you. What one person calls outrageously expensive and a waste, another might find well worth the cost. Not everyone hears the same, or can discern the differences. I have enjoyed my audio journey, and have become better at noticing the differences in gear. Not everyone can or chooses to. I don't believe anyone can be convinced to change their stance on the issue if they are entrenched.

May 29, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #10,647 of 20,644
I believe it all comes down to value. As in what do you value. If your happy with your gear, your done. Good for you. What one person calls outrageously expensive and a waste, another might find well worth the cost. Not everyone hears the same, or can discern the differences. I have enjoyed my audio journey, and have become better at noticing the differences in gear. Not everyone can or chooses to. I don't believe anyone can be convinced to change their stance on the issue if they are entrenched.

I agree with this, but when you're upfront rig isn't firing on all cylinders, then I suggest you investigate that first before blaming the drivers. That's all. The Utopia drivers can scale quite well with sources and amplification based on my 2 years of owning them and understand that you might be leaving cards on the table.It is up to every individual to determine how many cards they are happy with leaving un-turned.

Last edited:
May 29, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #10,648 of 20,644
Yep, that's what I meant. I have had my Utopia's about a year and a half. Really like them, but I am sensitive to treble. That's my issue not the Utopia's. Probably why I gravitate to tube amps. The jump from a Schiit Jot to a Woo WA5 was huge for me. As well a better dac.

May 29, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #10,649 of 20,644
"However, one thing is for certain, DACs are becoming increasingly easier to manufacturer for lower costs."

As one who navigated from vinyl to digital over the years I believe the differences between DAC's is far greater and more subjective than turntables.....I had a Linn LP12 for years and the difference between it and lessor or more expensive turntables was to my ears far less pronounced than the difference I hear between expensive well made DAC's and lessor DAC's

May 29, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #10,650 of 20,644
jlbrach

Agreed with your comments (and MacedonianHero) re the differences between DAC's. The previous poster has obviously not heard many high end DAC's from 2 channel land. Let him listen to a DCS, Naim ND555, or (my) Linn Klimax DS - and then lets speak. All of the Chord offerings, including DAVE, still have a way to go :)

Re LP12 - how long ago did you have yours? As of the past 15 years there have been a huge number of upgrades, both from Linn and 3rd parties, which have made the gap between the LP12 and other "pretenders" vast and enormous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back