Focal Utopia General Discussion
Mar 18, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #10,366 of 20,647
Dear all,

As already mentioned several times, we are aware that the very first production batches of Elear and Utopia have had some voice coil issues. Even if we managed to take on defective headphones returns, some units can be left on the market.

We heard your complaints and in order to treat you the best way and to offer the best warranty service possible, we decided that Elear and Utopia headphones will now benefit from a 5-year warranty worldwide (starting from the first date of purchase by the first buyer). If you already own a pair of Elear or Utopia headphones, the warranty is extended.

Our distribution network has been officially informed. So, if you are experiencing any driver failure, please contact your local dealer who will ensure the After-Sales Service of your headphones.

I stay at your disposal if you have any questions.

Best regards
Marine, Community Manager Focal

Thank you. Would you know if there is a serial number range of defective units? Or has this already been covered in another post. (This particular thread is getting somewhat hard to search through)

Mar 18, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #10,367 of 20,647
Thank you. Would you know if there is a serial number range of defective units? Or has this already been covered in another post. (This particular thread is getting somewhat hard to search through)

We do not communicate any serial number range because not all headphones from the first batches were affected :wink:

Thank you for your understanding,

Last edited:
Focal Stay updated on Focal at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.focal.com/us/
Mar 18, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #10,371 of 20,647
Thank you, I believe this action of yours has restored confidence in Focal products!

I for one never lost confidence
The Utopia is the best dynamic headphone on the market

Mar 18, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #10,372 of 20,647
I for one never lost confidence
The Utopia is the best dynamic headphone on the market

Not in terms of performance, but in terms of long term value and customer support.

I expect this action by Focal to affect the prices of used Utopia’s on the second hand market too.

Mar 18, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #10,373 of 20,647
Dear all,

As already mentioned several times, we are aware that the very first production batches of Elear and Utopia have had some voice coil issues. Even if we managed to take on defective headphones returns, some units can be left on the market.

We heard your complaints and in order to treat you the best way and to offer the best warranty service possible, we decided that Elear and Utopia headphones will now benefit from a 5-year warranty worldwide (starting from the first date of purchase by the first buyer). If you already own a pair of Elear or Utopia headphones, the warranty is extended.

Our distribution network has been officially informed. So, if you are experiencing any driver failure, please contact your local dealer who will ensure the After-Sales Service of your headphones.

Best regards

I like the Utopia even MORE now!
Thank you for an absolutely stellar product and an equally stellar 5-year warranty.

Mar 18, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #10,376 of 20,647
We do not communicate any serial number range because not all headphones from the first batches were affected :wink:

Sorry but I can't find the coherence with :
"Even if we managed to take on defective headphones returns, some units can be left on the market."

How can you manage to take on defective headphones return without knowing the serial numbers ? Just take returns on all potential faulty headphones from the batches concerned and remove them from the second-hand market before faulty ones appears. Those are clearly hidden defects.

"not all headphones from the first batches were affected" tells a lot about FOCAL's manufacturing process and quality checking of finished products. Even the cheap $100-200 Grado cartridges are all individually tested.

There are hand made but the guy who has finished making one don't test it ? At their price, each should be individually tested.

You don't want to give serial numbers because per the US law, "Hidden defects entitle the buyer to demand replacement or cancellation of the contract."

So all concerned by this issue shouldn't ask for guarantee but for replacement.

I don't think FOCAL behaviour is fair with their customer : included in your price is the fact that faulty items have to be replaced, even if there are hundreds of them. That's what audioquest did with an HDMI cable : they found a batch had termination problems (before they put it on the market as they check what they are selling). They cut the terminations, replaced them and as the cables where 0.95-0.98m instead of one meter, they sold it at 40-50% of the retail price. This is the "Mocha" serie, it is 100% similar to coffee HDMI, except the lost of 5cm maximum.

Mar 18, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #10,377 of 20,647
Dear all,

Best regards

Very much appeciated. Thank you!

Mar 18, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #10,378 of 20,647

On a different note, does Focal provide transferable warranties? I gathered from the low prices seen in the classifieds that they do not. Transferable warranties add value to a product so that a buyer of a used pair still receives what’s left of the remaining warranty.

Mar 18, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #10,379 of 20,647
Not in terms of performance, but in terms of long term value and customer support.

I expect this action by Focal to affect the prices of used Utopia’s on the second hand market too.
Well it's not going to help used Utopia buyers. That 5 year warranty is for the original buyer only. As far as I understand, the used buyer will get jack. Correct?

Mar 18, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #10,380 of 20,647
Sorry but I can't find the coherence with :
"Even if we managed to take on defective headphones returns, some units can be left on the market."

How can you manage to take on defective headphones return without knowing the serial numbers ? Just take returns on all potential faulty headphones from the batches concerned and remove them from the second-hand market before faulty ones appears. Those are clearly hidden defects.

"not all headphones from the first batches were affected" tells a lot about FOCAL's manufacturing process and quality checking of finished products. Even the cheap $100-200 Grado cartridges are all individually tested.

There are hand made but the guy who has finished making one don't test it ? At their price, each should be individually tested.

You don't want to give serial numbers because per the US law, "Hidden defects entitle the buyer to demand replacement or cancellation of the contract."

So all concerned by this issue shouldn't ask for guarantee but for replacement.

I don't think FOCAL behaviour is fair with their customer : included in your price is the fact that faulty items have to be replaced, even if there are hundreds of them. That's what audioquest did with an HDMI cable : they found a batch had termination problems (before they put it on the market as they check what they are selling). They cut the terminations, replaced them and as the cables where 0.95-0.98m instead of one meter, they sold it at 40-50% of the retail price. This is the "Mocha" serie, it is 100% similar to coffee HDMI, except the lost of 5cm maximum.

I’d like to see this “hidden defect” law you mention. “Hidden defect” relates to a recall process as I understand it. A manufacturer is well within its legal right to perform warranty service as stated on a “case by case” basis. There is no law that mandates a replacement unless it falls under the lemon act. This would mean the repair could not be corrected in 3 attempts.

However you not thinking it’s fair is your opinion and has no bearing on the actual function of their stated warranty policy.

To be more imformative Focal here in North America has made an amazing effort to put goodwill first and they have replaced many of the headphones under warranty when they had the option of a repair. Focal’s behavior has been exemplary with regard to this topic and in my opinion being on the inside of all this, that you state in your opinion is without the data making your opinion moot.

Let me state this loudly. I am not defending Focal as I currently have my own issues with the company however in actual points of contention your statement as to their “fairness” on this topic is totally unsubstantiated as Focal’s actions don’t support your comment.

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back