Focal Utopia General Discussion
Mar 14, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #10,322 of 20,602
Mine are just hung on Brainwavz hanger. Two years, no issues. Of course I don't have to worry about pets or kids getting to them. They are in a dedicated listening room.

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #10,325 of 20,602
Thanks guys. I think I’ll remove the cable for storage. Makes for a little ritual before settling in for a session.

Mar 15, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #10,326 of 20,602
I was wondering if anybody knows what becomes of the Utopia headphones that are exchanged under warranty. Are they refurbished with new drivers or used for parts? If refurbished, what outlet are they sold through?

Dear Svatopluk,

We only change the faulty drivers by new ones. :)
We do not exchange the entire headphones.

Marine, Community Manager Focal

Focal Stay updated on Focal at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.focal.com/us/
Mar 15, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #10,327 of 20,602
Dear Svatopluk,

We only change the faulty drivers by new ones. :)
We do not exchange the entire headphones.

not sure if this applies to just Clear or also Utopia but

my friend was a clear owner and had a new one replaced due to corrosion

brand new set given (old one was sent back of course)

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #10,329 of 20,602
Do you know the existence of connectors to connect cables for Utopia to other headphones (for example, Abyss), which do not compromise signal quality? Thanks in advance.

I'm no expert, but the contact resistance of the additional connector junction might actually dominate any performance change from upgraded wire.

Mar 15, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #10,330 of 20,602
Do you know the existence of connectors to connect cables for Utopia to other headphones (for example, Abyss), which do not compromise signal quality? Thanks in advance.
Yes, Ted from HEADPHONELOUNGE. Great quality, lower prices than elsewhere. Please note you'll need a pair of interconnects for each different termination (ex. another pair for as an example an Oppo). If you want it's maIL, just let me know via PM, it is better than via it's site.
Very honest and reliable : he refuses orders if he thinks the result won't be good rather than doing a wrong product and get money.

Mar 15, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #10,331 of 20,602
not sure if this applies to just Clear or also Utopia but

my friend was a clear owner and had a new one replaced due to corrosion

brand new set given (old one was sent back of course)

This process applies for our high-end headphones. But in some cases, we need to exchange the headphones.
We deal with each and every request case by case :wink:

Kind regards

Focal Stay updated on Focal at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.focal.com/us/
Mar 15, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #10,332 of 20,602
Spent around 2 hours demoing the Stellia powered by the Focal Arche, A/Bing with the Utopia, Elegia and other Focals in a Focal's room at the Bristol Hi Fi show. The door was closed most of the time so relatively quiet . The choice of music was very limited .

I'm not a great fan of anything metal in transducers and the Utopia makes me feel fatigued after 15--20 min. With the aluminium Focals it's even worse. My go to headphones are the HD650 and the Aeon closed, I am a classical music listener .

The Stellia was a rather pleasant surprise. The sound signature is quite close to the Utopia but with a warm tilt which IMO alleviates the metallic timbre a bit and makes them more palatable and less tiring, I could not identify any glaring FR problems but, again, the music was unfamiliar. The unnatural timbre was definitely there, Jim Morrison and Sinatra sounded slightly metallicky and light. The soundstage is obviously smaller than in the Utopia but I am no expert in this because its not a priority as long as the frequency response and tonality are done right. A/Bing them I actually preferred the Stellia"s warmer sound.

The resolution is very very good and not just for a closed-back. Good instrument separation, everything is clear. The sound is coherent and involving. The bass was just the right amount, couldn't identity any distortion or leakage into the mids, and it didn't feel detached. The vocals were slightly underfed but still coherent enough. Definitely an interesting headphone .

My respect for the Stellia doubled when I went to the Sennheiser's stand and tried the HD820. Severely screwed FR, tonality and timbre. Even the HD800S that was next to it sounded not too bad tonnally after the HD820. Puzzling.

Just my 2 cents.

Mar 15, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #10,334 of 20,602
I enjoy different headphones depending on mood and music. But my favorite are probably the LCD-4. Just love the smooth mid-range and powerful bass. For acoustic music I like the Utopia. Just to chill out I reach for the Sony Z1R.

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #10,335 of 20,602
Yes, Ted from HEADPHONELOUNGE. Great quality, lower prices than elsewhere. Please note you'll need a pair of interconnects for each different termination (ex. another pair for as an example an Oppo). If you want it's maIL, just let me know via PM, it is better than via it's site.
Very honest and reliable : he refuses orders if he thinks the result won't be good rather than doing a wrong product and get money.
Can vouche for Ted; he made a few cables for me and it was a pleasure to deal with him...fair prices!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back